Last visit was: 27 Apr 2024, 22:37 It is currently 27 Apr 2024, 22:37

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 615 [1]
Given Kudos: 28
Concentration: Operations, Marketing
Send PM
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 1585 [0]
Given Kudos: 33
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V48
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Given Kudos: 90
WE:Editorial and Writing (Internet and New Media)
Send PM
Re: Career building for INSEAD MBA application [#permalink]
2 for competitive edge, 1 if you're willing to take your time and explore more options in the future
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 210 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
WE:Management Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
Career building for INSEAD MBA application [#permalink]
Kimkim1303 wrote:
Hi everyone,

I plan to apply INSEAD MBA in the next 3 years, now I am in career building stage. Currently I have 2 offers, I would like to ask which direction will I have a more competitive advantage when applying MBA INSEAD (with the same GMAT results).

Option 1: I am receiving an offer from a small Japanese consulting company (200 employees), great opportunity to learn and get promotion
Option 2: I'm working at Coca-Cola and offered a Strategy position, I can spend about 3 years to work and get a manager position

I don't know a candidate is a manager of a reputable corporation and a candidate has a lot of experience in the consulting field but not a famous company, which side will have a more competitive advantage?

Thanks,

Hi Kimkim1303 HEC Paris MBA alum here.

Both options are interesting from the perspective of applying to INSEAD. Let's consider the potential advantages and how they might be perceived by the admissions committee (other factors being equal, i.e. GMAT/ GRE scores, GPA, application strength, etc.):

Option 1: Working at a small consulting company can offer you significant learning opportunities, including within domains (if the firm specializes in one/ some), and the potential to have a tangible impact on the firm/ clients, in addition to the prospects of a promotion. Running a boutique consulting firm myself, I see candidates that intern with us, learn about consulting, highlight their learnings/ strengths, and go on to secure MBA admits.

Consulting experience can demonstrate your ability to analyze data, solve complex problems, provide strategic insights, and work with diverse clients. Working in a small company requires an entrepreneurial spirit, which is another valuable trait to differentiate your B-school application. If your clear post-MBA goal is consulting, this can be the better choice.

Option 2: INSEAD admissions committee would be familiar with a globally recognized brand such as Coca-Cola. Working in a strategy role at Coca-Cola can demonstrate your ability to think analytically, make data-driven decisions, and contribute to the overall direction of a major company. Although the size of your impact in this role would likely be less than at a boutique firm (due to the mere size of these organizations).

If you can secure a manager position within 3 years, it showcases your leadership potential and ability to manage teams effectively. These can be valuable traits when applying to INSEAD.

In a nutshell, what matters most is the impact you make in your role, the skills you develop, and the achievements/ traits you can highlight during the application process. Since both options provide their advantages, it's important to choose the one that aligns with your short-term/ long-term post-MBA goals, personal interests and past experiences.

Hope this helps. If you provide more info on your background and goals, I can provide more specific feedback.

All the best!

Regards,

Arvind Kumar (HEC Paris alum, Admissions interviewer)
admitStreet
admitstreet[dot]com | Message: +91 9741263950| Email: consultingteam[at]admitstreet[dot]com

Originally posted by admitStreet on 26 Jun 2023, 05:35.
Last edited by admitStreet on 26 Jun 2023, 22:37, edited 1 time in total.
Admit Expert Admissions Consultant
Own Kudos [?]: 35 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
Expert Reply
Kimkim1303 wrote:
Hi everyone,

I plan to apply INSEAD MBA in the next 3 years, now I am in career building stage. Currently I have 2 offers, I would like to ask which direction will I have a more competitive advantage when applying MBA INSEAD (with the same GMAT results).

Option 1: I am receiving an offer from a small Japanese consulting company (200 employees), great opportunity to learn and get promotion
Option 2: I'm working at Coca-Cola and offered a Strategy position, I can spend about 3 years to work and get a manager position

I don't know a candidate is a manager of a reputable corporation and a candidate has a lot of experience in the consulting field but not a famous company, which side will have a more competitive advantage?

Thanks,

Hi Kimkim1303,

If you are not from Japan or already working in and around that geography, option 1 can provide good opportunities for you and allow you to take on bigger responsibilities given that it's a small company.

Working at Coca-Cola, a globally recognized brand and a large multinational corporation, can be valuable. This work experince can help you showcase an understanding of the global business landscape, which is important for Insead

In summary, it is not just about the name or size of the company, but the scale of your contributions and impact wherever you are. You need to be able to show leadership potential and an ability to create global impact through your work.

For a more detailed 1-1 strategy session, please write to contactus@admitexpert.com or fill the form at http://www.admitexpert.com

Good luck!
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
MBA Admissions Consultant
3701 posts