GMAT Question of the Day: Daily via email | Daily via Instagram New to GMAT Club? Watch this Video

It is currently 05 Jul 2020, 23:56

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Career Post INSEAD MBA

new topic post reply Update application status  
Intern
Intern
B
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
Career Post INSEAD MBA  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 22 May 2020, 00:08
Hello,

I believe this topic has been posted before also but haven't really seen much valuable discussion and insights. I'm an Indian applicant and submitted my application for R2 a couple of days ago. I did my under-grad in mechanical engineering from a non-IIT University in 2012. I had a job offer but never joined. Instead, I launched my own manufacturing start-up. I worked there for 5 years before I had to sell it due to personal reasons. At that point, I moved to US and did my masters in Supply Chain from University of Michigan. I then joined Amazon as an Operations Manager, where I have worked for the last two years.

My motivation behind doing MBA and specifically from INSEAD is I want to move to a consulting role post MBA. As a plan B, if consulting doesn't work out, I'd like to move to a more strategic role in tech. My goal is to move back to India in 5-7 years and till then I want to set myself in a function and Industry which can make my transition back to India easier. I've been networking with current as well as alums from INSEAD and I really like the school. However, I'm also seeing that over the last two years, hiring has become very difficult for Internationals in Singapore (due to new government regulations) and in Europe (if you don't know the language). For Indian folks, this leaves very limited options, namely Middle East, London, Ireland, Switzerland. With COVID'19, I believe we are going to see new regulations in Middle East also. Just trying to understand what is the scope for job opportunities for folks like me post MBA from INSEAD. In the current situation, I feel like US might actually be the best option for me post MBA. Any thoughts or research anyone has done on this?
INSEAD School Moderator
G
GMAT 1: 650 Q50 V28 (Online)
GMAT 2: 700 Q49 V37
GPA: 3.23
WE: General Management (Hospitality and Tourism)
Reviews Badge CAT Tests
Re: Career Post INSEAD MBA  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 22 May 2020, 01:24
From what I have read for MBB you could easily interview for US, UK, AUS or other Asia offices without much trouble.
For Tech strategy I guess that Asia would be easier, but if you have a US green card or visa you may have good chances too.

I do not see the Middle East being too restrictive in 2022, Europe may be, but seems you have multiple good options, with the current uncertainty my advise is to keep a broad scope and wait.

Best,
Pablo

IAMUTD20 wrote:
Hello,

I believe this topic has been posted before also but haven't really seen much valuable discussion and insights. I'm an Indian applicant and submitted my application for R2 a couple of days ago. I did my under-grad in mechanical engineering from a non-IIT University in 2012. I had a job offer but never joined. Instead, I launched my own manufacturing start-up. I worked there for 5 years before I had to sell it due to personal reasons. At that point, I moved to US and did my masters in Supply Chain from University of Michigan. I then joined Amazon as an Operations Manager, where I have worked for the last two years.

My motivation behind doing MBA and specifically from INSEAD is I want to move to a consulting role post MBA. As a plan B, if consulting doesn't work out, I'd like to move to a more strategic role in tech. My goal is to move back to India in 5-7 years and till then I want to set myself in a function and Industry which can make my transition back to India easier. I've been networking with current as well as alums from INSEAD and I really like the school. However, I'm also seeing that over the last two years, hiring has become very difficult for Internationals in Singapore (due to new government regulations) and in Europe (if you don't know the language). For Indian folks, this leaves very limited options, namely Middle East, London, Ireland, Switzerland. With COVID'19, I believe we are going to see new regulations in Middle East also. Just trying to understand what is the scope for job opportunities for folks like me post MBA from INSEAD. In the current situation, I feel like US might actually be the best option for me post MBA. Any thoughts or research anyone has done on this?
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 730 Q50 V40
WE: Project Management (Internet and New Media)

Show Tags

New post 22 May 2020, 02:06
If you are sure about consulting then here's the scenario
- You can focus on English speaking markets in the EU with London being the major hub and Amsterdam being the next best option. I have seen a few of my Indian classmates get into offices in Brussels and others
- While you're right about securing a visa being difficult for Indians wanting to work in consulting in Singapore, it is not impossible and you can definitely target companies there

If you have an active H1B or any other authorised work permit in the US, you will have a lot of chances to recruit in the US. Without an active work permit US is just not an option

Outside consulting, big tech has no issues in sponsoring visas either in Singapore or US. Amazon recruits heavily for their Luxembourg and London offices but I suspect you can make that change now and don't need to go through INSEAD for that.

For middle east and Australia offices, I second Pabpinors comment - Australia and other offices in SEA are a good bet

You have a great profile, if you target the specific offices you want to get into, network effectively with INSEAD alumni in those offices and prepare well for your interviews, you should be fine. That said, with Covid, things will definitely be tougher and more uncertain over the next year or so
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 22 May 2020, 02:25
TVF wrote:
If you are sure about consulting then here's the scenario
- You can focus on English speaking markets in the EU with London being the major hub and Amsterdam being the next best option. I have seen a few of my Indian classmates get into offices in Brussels and others
- While you're right about securing a visa being difficult for Indians wanting to work in consulting in Singapore, it is not impossible and you can definitely target companies there

If you have an active H1B or any other authorised work permit in the US, you will have a lot of chances to recruit in the US. Without an active work permit US is just not an option

Outside consulting, big tech has no issues in sponsoring visas either in Singapore or US. Amazon recruits heavily for their Luxembourg and London offices but I suspect you can make that change now and don't need to go through INSEAD for that.

For middle east and Australia offices, I second Pabpinors comment - Australia and other offices in SEA are a good bet

You have a great profile, if you target the specific offices you want to get into, network effectively with INSEAD alumni in those offices and prepare well for your interviews, you should be fine. That said, with Covid, things will definitely be tougher and more uncertain over the next year or so

Thank you for the response TVF. I know I'm getting ahead of myself as I don't know if I'll even get an interview invite, especially with my low GMAT :(
That being said, I've already started reaching out to folks I know in MBB and top four in US (I do have an H1B) and have also been engaging with some alumni. You're right that I don't intend to work at Amazon post MBA. I definitely want to work in consulting, with my goal as MBB but if not, then big four. However, if for some reason, that doesn't work out, my goal is to find a strategic role in either Apple or Google or Microsoft. Ideally, I want to work either in London or US post MBA and Singapore will work as well. Not really looking at Amsterdam or Middle East or Australia right now but that can change later depending on how the COVID situation evolves.
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Career Post INSEAD MBA   [#permalink] 22 May 2020, 02:25

Career Post INSEAD MBA

new topic post reply Update application status  

Moderators: uc26, pabpinor, MBAPrepCoach