GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 18 Jan 2019, 18:23

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
Events & Promotions in January
PrevNext
SuMoTuWeThFrSa
Open Detailed Calendar
  • Free GMAT Strategy Webinar

January 19, 2019

January 19, 2019

07:00 AM PST

09:00 AM PST

Aiming to score 760+? Attend this FREE session to learn how to Define your GMAT Strategy, Create your Study Plan and Master the Core Skills to excel on the GMAT.
  • FREE Quant Workshop by e-GMAT!

January 20, 2019

January 20, 2019

Get personalized insights on how to achieve your Target Quant Score.

Careful observers of wildlife along unspoiled ....

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: Marketing, Technology
Careful observers of wildlife along unspoiled ....  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 19 Dec 2018, 21:04
Question 1
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

based on 56 sessions

89% (02:08) correct 11% (02:11) wrong

HideShow timer Statistics

Question 2
A
B
C
D
E

based on 51 sessions

65% (01:00) correct 35% (01:07) wrong

Question 3
A
B
C
D
E

based on 47 sessions

11% (01:33) correct 89% (01:39) wrong

Careful observers of wildlife along unspoiled freshwater shorelines in New England may encounter the river otter (Lutra canadensis) or its close cousin, the mink (Mustela vison). Like other members of the Mustelidae, or "weasel" family, these animals have elongated bodies with long tails and are efficient hunters. On land, they commonly employ the 2-2 bounding gait characteristic of Mustelidae, but as the only semi-aquatic members of the family in the northeast, they are also accomplished swimmers. Both sport rich, dark fur insulating them from the wet and cold.

Despite such similarities, however, the otter and mink are readily distinguished by sight. The otter is almost twice as long as the mink and may boast ten times the weight of the smaller animal. The rudder-like tail of the otter is markedly heavy-set, tapering only gradually, while that of the mink is gracile. Other, less obvious, differences exist. For example, the otter subsists largely on fish and occasional small mammals, whereas the mink prefers rodents, especially the aquatic muskrat. Similarly, although both animals give birth in the spring, the mink mates in midwinter; the otter mates in spring immediately following the birth, taking advantage of a curious adaptation: delayed implantation of the fertilized egg until the following year. Such variations reflect the fact that even "cousins" traverse different evolutionary pathways.

1) The purpose of this passage is to

A) Encourage wildlife watchers to study the river otter and mink more carefully.
B) Compare and contrast two closely related animals.
C) Question whether the river otter and mink really belong in the same biological category.
D) Argue that the river otter and mink are fundamentally different.
E) Compare and contrast the Mustelidae to the "weasel" family.

2) The author mentions the "2-2 bounding gait" most probably in order to

A) Contrast aquatic animals with terrestrial animals.
B) Emphasize the energetic efficiency of Mustelidae locomotion.
C) Compare the 2-2 gait to the 1-2-1 loping gait of Mustelidae.
D) Describe a behavioral pattern common to the otter, the mink, and other members of the weasel family.
E) specify the placement of Mustelidae forelegs and hind legs when bounding.

3) The passage suggests that Mustela vison

A) is a less important member of the Mustelidae than Lutra canadensis.
B) consumes smaller prey than Lutra canadensis.
C) may be disturbed by the impact of human activity on the environment.
D) has evolved delayed implantation of fertilized eggs.
E) is the most gracile of the Mustelidae.

1) The tone of the overall passage is descriptive, not argumentative. (B) is correct; though it doesn't mention the otter or the mink specifically, they are "two closely related animals" according to the passage; thus the choice logically applies. The author mentions wildlife observers in the first line, but there is no sense of active encouragement of these observers towards any particular behavior, as mentioned in (A), merely a description of similarities and differences that exist. (C) is not specifically mentioned. The passage is not argumentative as stated in (D). (E) is only half-right: certainly the passage compares and contrasts, but it doesn't compare the Mustelidae to the "weasels." Those classifications are presented as the same family.

2) The key here is to read around the "2-2 bounding gait" quotation and understand it in context. You're being asked why the author mentions the "2-2 bounding gait" not what this scientific term means.(D) fits this inference correctly. The "2-2 bounding gait" is mentioned in the context of describing similarities between the otter and mink, plus it is referred to as "characteristic"-typical of the Mustelidae or "weasel" family.
(A) is a distortion: The author describes the otter and mink as traveling on land and in water, but makes no general comparison between animals who are limited to one or the other. (B) is out of scope. (C) makes an irrelevant comparison. The second gait pattern is never mentioned so we cannot infer any comparison between them. (E) While the "2-2 bounding gait" may in fact specify leg placement, the passage does not provide such an interpretation and we cannot be expected to interpret such jargon without explanation in the passage.

3) The key to this inference question is sentence 1: careful observers along unspoiled shorelines may observe the animals. In other words, if the shore lines have been spoiled or the human observers are not careful, then the animals may not be present or will be harder to observe, implying that their normal behavior has been disturbed. In (A), the phrase "less important" is vague in this context. The mink is smaller than the otter, but we have no information about their relative "importance." Just because the mink is smaller does not guarantee that it's prey is smaller. Prey is referred to in paragraph 2, but no reference is made to size of prey. (B) is too vague. Delayed implantation is given as an adaptation of the otter in the context of contrasting its breeding strategies to those of the mink, so presumably the mink has not evolved this strategy. That means (D) is out. And (E) is incorrect because the text does not compare the mink to all other members of the Mustelidae family. C is thus correct.

Originally posted by joshnsit on 28 Jul 2014, 05:19.
Last edited by workout on 19 Dec 2018, 21:04, edited 5 times in total.
added timers
Manager
Manager
Re: Careful observers of wildlife along unspoiled ....  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 29 Jul 2014, 22:59
b, a, b
the passage is easy but question is not

If anyone in this gmat forum is in England,Britain, pls, email to me, (thanghnvn@gmail.com) . I have some questions and need your advise. Thank a lot.

Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 30 Jul 2014, 00:20
B, D, B
Reasons :
Question 1: The Passage arranged in such a way that Para 1 describes the two closely related sea animal, para 2 describes the common difference b/w the two i.e otter & Mink. Comaparison & contrast for two same family member animals.
Question 2: The "they" in line "On land, they commonly employ the 2-2 bounding gait characteristic of......" they stands for Otter and Mink, which are beng caompared with the common behaviour of other weasle family hence option D states the same;
Question 3: Only option b is relevant, mentioned in the passsage in latter paragraph.
Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 30 Jul 2014, 01:00
Agree with Enbee11 , nice approach !
IMO Answer : B, D, B

Advices on last 2 are highlighted -

Relevant portion of passage is (And I have highlighted hint/supprting words in CAPS) -
LIKE OTHER MEMBERS of the Mustelidae, or "weasel" family, THESE animals have elongated
bodies with long tails and are efficient hunters. On land, THEY commonly employ the 2-2 bounding gait
CHARACTERISTICS OF MUSTELIDAE, as the only semi-aquatic members of the family in the northeast, they are also accomplished swimmers

Thus, here we are describing properties of the Weasel family.it clearly says 2-2 bounding gait characteristic of Mustelidae.
Given that THESE and THEY still point to mink and otter.
Hence "2-2 bounding gait" is certainly a characteristic about Weasel family.

A) Contrast aquatic animals with terrestrial animals.
WRONG - We are discussing just one family - Wesel family. Not aquatic animals Vs. terrestrial animals.

B) Emphasize the energetic efficiency of Mustelidae locomotion.
WRONG - Out of Scope, Twisted Words - efficient hunters is not the same thing as energetic efficiency. energetic efficiency is not discussed in passage.

C) Compare the 2-2 gait to the 1-2-1 loping gait of Mustelidae.
WRONG - Out of Scope - 1-2-1 loping gait Not discussed in passage

D) Describe a behavioral pattern common to the otter, the mink, and other members of the weasel family.
RIGHT - As explained above.

E) specify the placement of Mustelidae forelegs and hind legs when bounding.
WRONG - Out of scope - forelegs and hind legs are not mentioned in passage

3) The passage suggests that Mustela vison

A) is a less important member of the Mustelidae than Lutra canadensis.
WRONG- relative importance not discussed in passage

B) consumes smaller prey than Lutra canadensis.
RIGHT - Supporting portion in passage is -
"subsists largely on fish and
occasional small mammals, whereas the mink prefers
rodents, especially the aquatic muskrat "

C) may be disturbed by the impact of human activity on the environment.

WRONG- Human activity iteslf not discussed in passage

D) has evolved delayed implantation of fertilized eggs.
WRONG- Otter has this not Mink (Mustela vison)

E) is the most gracile of the Mustelidae.
WRONG- Extreme - gracile doesn't mean MOST gracile.

Hope it helps :)

Best
MKS
Appreciate it with Kudos !! :)

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: Marketing, Technology

Show Tags

New post 30 Jul 2014, 02:31
Thanks all for the discussion... I have updated the OA and OE from Kaplan for the passage in the initial thread.

I feel that first was easiest(as everyone cracked it) and last one was really a big toughie for everyone(as none of us commented could crack it). I am fine with first 2 questions, but still without direct approach for last question. Let me know any alternate strategies for third question, if stumble across.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Affiliations: National Institute of Technology, Durgapur
GPA: 3.32
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 08 May 2015, 00:56
5 mins
last question is good . Incorrect
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 07 Oct 2015, 11:59
i don't understand the last question. mink prefers muskrats......Muskrats are large rodents.....
please help...

kinaare paaon phailane lage hian,
nadi se roz mitti kat rahi hai....

Senior PS Moderator
P
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 19 Dec 2018, 22:14
3min 23 secs and all correct. I must confess I might have seen this passage before...

A) Encourage wildlife watchers to study the river otter and mink more carefully. Nah, not even mentioned
B) Compare and contrast two closely related animals. Yes, its all in the last sentence of the passage - cousins take different evolutionary paths
C) Question whether the river otter and mink really belong in the same biological category. Nope, the author does not questions this - it is a fact
D) Argue that the river otter and mink are fundamentally different. No they are not, they have just evolved differently
E) Compare and contrast the Mustelidae to the "weasel" family. TRAP - this is not correct as the two terms are interchangeable

A) Contrast aquatic animals with terrestrial animals. Too general
B) Emphasize the energetic efficiency of Mustelidae locomotion. BS option
C) Compare the 2-2 gait to the 1-2-1 loping gait of Mustelidae. Not even mentioned - the 1-2-1 part
D) Describe a behavioral pattern common to the otter, the mink, and other members of the weasel family. Correct - the author wishes to show the similarity between otter mink and other weasels on land and further show how the former two have evolved to aquatic conditions
E) specify the placement of Mustelidae forelegs and hind legs when bounding Unrelated

3) The passage suggests that Mustela vison INFERENCE TYPE - hence we must be able to show this to be 100% true and mentioned explicitely in the passage

A) is a less important member of the Mustelidae than Lutra canadensis. Wild inference - no mention in the passage
B) consumes smaller prey than Lutra canadensis. TRAP - just because the size is smaller we cannot assume that the prey consumed will be smaller - even if this could likely be the case
C) may be disturbed by the impact of human activity on the environment. BINGO - mentioned in the first line of the passage
D) has evolved delayed implantation of fertilized eggs. DETAIL question but inverted
E) is the most gracile of the Mustelidae. Again BS option

BEst,
Gladi

Regards,
Gladi

“Do. Or do not. There is no try.” - Yoda (The Empire Strikes Back)

Manager
Manager
S
Concentration: Finance, Economics
WE: Corporate Finance (Commercial Banking)
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 20 Dec 2018, 08:28
Gladiator59 wrote:
3min 23 secs and all correct. I must confess I might have seen this passage before...

A) Encourage wildlife watchers to study the river otter and mink more carefully. Nah, not even mentioned
B) Compare and contrast two closely related animals. Yes, its all in the last sentence of the passage - cousins take different evolutionary paths
C) Question whether the river otter and mink really belong in the same biological category. Nope, the author does not questions this - it is a fact
D) Argue that the river otter and mink are fundamentally different. No they are not, they have just evolved differently
E) Compare and contrast the Mustelidae to the "weasel" family. TRAP - this is not correct as the two terms are interchangeable

A) Contrast aquatic animals with terrestrial animals. Too general
B) Emphasize the energetic efficiency of Mustelidae locomotion. BS option
C) Compare the 2-2 gait to the 1-2-1 loping gait of Mustelidae. Not even mentioned - the 1-2-1 part
D) Describe a behavioral pattern common to the otter, the mink, and other members of the weasel family. Correct - the author wishes to show the similarity between otter mink and other weasels on land and further show how the former two have evolved to aquatic conditions
E) specify the placement of Mustelidae forelegs and hind legs when bounding Unrelated

3) The passage suggests that Mustela vison INFERENCE TYPE - hence we must be able to show this to be 100% true and mentioned explicitely in the passage

A) is a less important member of the Mustelidae than Lutra canadensis. Wild inference - no mention in the passage
B) consumes smaller prey than Lutra canadensis. TRAP - just because the size is smaller we cannot assume that the prey consumed will be smaller - even if this could likely be the case
C) may be disturbed by the impact of human activity on the environment. BINGO - mentioned in the first line of the passage
D) has evolved delayed implantation of fertilized eggs. DETAIL question but inverted
E) is the most gracile of the Mustelidae. Again BS option

BEst,
Gladi

Although I got the Q3 correct by POE. I would like to know how the first line of the passage point out to disturbances by humans on minks.

Regards,
SouljaB

Even if it takes me 30 attempts, I am determined enough to score 740+ in my 31st attempt. This is it, this is what I have been waiting for, now is the time to get up and fight, for my life is 100% my responsibility.

Dil ye Ziddi hai !!!

Senior PS Moderator
P
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 20 Dec 2018, 20:59
The opening line of the passage says-

Quote:
Careful observers of wildlife along unspoiled freshwater shorelines in New England may encounter...

From this, we can infer that any human disturbance will "render the place inhabitable for minks and otters" as the opposite is mentioned. This is a very small reference but one that can be inferred as it has been explicitly mentioned.

Hope it is clear.

Regards,
Gladi

ShankSouljaBoi wrote:

Although I got the Q3 correct by POE. I would like to know how the first line of the passage point out to disturbances by humans on minks.

Regards,
SouljaB

Regards,
Gladi

“Do. Or do not. There is no try.” - Yoda (The Empire Strikes Back)

GMAT Club Bot
Re: Careful observers of wildlife along unspoiled .... &nbs [#permalink] 20 Dec 2018, 20:59

Careful observers of wildlife along unspoiled ....

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap