GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 20 Jun 2018, 17:54

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Cassowary,a flightless bird that feeds mainly on fruits but is classif

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Manager
Manager
B
Cassowary,a flightless bird that feeds mainly on fruits but is classif [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 May 2016, 23:19
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

45% (medium)

Question Stats:

56% (00:54) correct 44% (01:06) wrong based on 209 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Cassowary,a flightless bird that feeds mainly on fruits but is classified a truly omnivorous,belongs to the ratite family, a group of large, wing-less topical birds that is seen only in Papua New Guinea and are not represented in any other habitat in the world.

A a group of large, wing-less topical birds that is seen only in Papua New Guinea and are
B. a group of large, wing-less topical birds that are seen only in Papua New Guinea and is
C a group of large, wing-less topical birds that are seen only in Papua New Guinea and are
D a group of large, wing-less topical birds which is seen only in Papua New Guinea and is
E a group of large, wing-less topical birds which is seen only in Papua New Guinea and which is

I had selected D. Correct answer is C.

Explaination by Jamboree is this that Consider the case of 'he is one of the boys who play/plays basketball'. The correct verb is play because modifier who, refers to boys and not one of the boys.
Similarly above. 'Are' verb is right to refer to the birds and not group, which is singular.

I am not convinced by this explanation. Can anyone share any OG question to point this out and is this modifier rule mentioned in any good quality material such as Manhattan Strategy Guide etc?
Jamboree Discount CodesMath Revolution Discount CodesEMPOWERgmat Discount Codes
Intern
Intern
Cassowary,a flightless bird that feeds mainly on fruits but is classif [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 May 2016, 23:30
I am not sure about the explanation provided. But C is the right answer as it maintains parallel structure.

C - a group of large, wing-less topical birds that are seen only in Papua New Guinea and are

Also, as per the Ron's SC tips:

Myth of "One of.."
1. One of the X's that/who <plural>
2. One of the X's <singular>
3. Only one of the X's <singular>
4. Only one of the X's that/who <plural>
5. The only one of the X's that/who <singular>
Director
Director
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Re: Cassowary,a flightless bird that feeds mainly on fruits but is classif [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 May 2016, 23:59
Ruchi : just see if you can differentiate between these two sentences. may be then you can get hold of as what is happening in above SC

SENTENCE 1: a group of large, wing-less topical birds that are seen ...-----> in this case we are talking about SIGHTING OF BIRDS
SENTENCE 2: a group of large, wing-less topical birds IS SEEN ------> in this case we are talking about SIGHTING OF GROUP ( which indeed is a group of BIRDS)

I can elaborate further if this is not clear. just let me know !!
Manager
Manager
B
Re: Cassowary,a flightless bird that feeds mainly on fruits but is classif [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 17 May 2016, 00:30
Okay

So what I understand from Myth of ron's SC tips.

St.1:One of the X's that/who (plural) is similar to what is mentioned in the explaination
St.5: Only one of the X's that/who (singular) would be saying the mentioned boys example differently and as follows:

' One of the boys who play b'ball is/are coming over' -- WILL BE 'IS'

Another rule as per the modifier rule is that 'who'/ which/whom/that refers to noun next to verb.

I cannot see this example beyond a cram of rules, meaning I am missing the 'meaning' angle completely.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
G
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT 1: 620 Q50 V24
GRE 1: 314 Q167 V147

Show Tags

New post 20 Dec 2016, 00:24
ruchi857 wrote:
Cassowary,a flightless bird that feeds mainly on fruits but is classified a truly omnivorous,belongs to the ratite family, a group of large, wing-less topical birds that is seen only in Papua New Guinea and are not represented in any other habitat in the world.

A a group of large, wing-less topical birds that is seen only in Papua New Guinea and are
B. a group of large, wing-less topical birds that are seen only in Papua New Guinea and is
C a group of large, wing-less topical birds that are seen only in Papua New Guinea and are
D a group of large, wing-less topical birds which is seen only in Papua New Guinea and is
E a group of large, wing-less topical birds which is seen only in Papua New Guinea and which is

Hi all,
Isn't that require in the second part of the modifier and "that" are not represented in any other habitat in the world;otherwise,this modifier could be turn to essential information to be parallel with the subject Cassowary--Cassowary,a flightless bird that feeds mainly on fruits but is classified a truly omnivorous,belongs to ... and is...
However,meaningwise it would be more logical to treat "and are not represented in any other habitat in the world" as a modifier since the previous modifier states that this group of bird is seen only in Papua New Guinea.My guess is that it is the ellipsis,but GMAT doesn't favor any kind of ambiguity,isn't it?
That is why I struggle with either B or C and choose the wrong one.

Please advise.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
G
Affiliations: NA
GMAT 1: 590 Q50 V21
GMAT 2: 600 Q48 V25
GMAT 3: 730 Q51 V37
GPA: 3.5

Show Tags

New post 10 Apr 2017, 07:31
sleepynut wrote:
ruchi857 wrote:

Hi all,
Isn't that require in the second part of the modifier and "that" are not represented in any other habitat in the world;otherwise,this modifier could be turn to essential information to be parallel with the subject Cassowary--Cassowary,a flightless bird that feeds mainly on fruits but is classified a truly omnivorous,belongs to ... and is...
However,meaningwise it would be more logical to treat "and are not represented in any other habitat in the world" as a modifier since the previous modifier states that this group of bird is seen only in Papua New Guinea.My guess is that it is the ellipsis,but GMAT doesn't favor any kind of ambiguity,isn't it?
That is why I struggle with either B or C and choose the wrong one.

Please advise.

Hi,
I think you are missing that modifier is separated by comma . so if you think the highlighted part below can be made parallel to verb belongs to and can modify Cassowary , it is wrong as the modifier wing less topical birds ......... is a single modifier modifying 'a group of large' not any other thing. 'that' here is ellipsis without any ambiguity . And meaning wise also the sentence is fine as adding extra information didn't change anything but off course sentence would have survived without that. Hope I have clarified your doubt :).

Cassowary,a flightless bird that feeds mainly on fruits but is classified a truly omnivorous,belongs to the ratite family, a group of large, wing-less topical birds that is seen only in Papua New Guinea and are not represented in any other habitat in the world..

#If you like my post , please encourage me by giving Kudos :)

Cassowary,a flightless bird that feeds mainly on fruits but is classif   [#permalink] 10 Apr 2017, 07:31

Cassowary,a flightless bird that feeds mainly on fruits but is classif

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap