GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 20 Sep 2018, 11:36

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Chicago Booth or Columbia?

new topic post reply Update application status  

POLL: Chicago Booth or Columbia?

• 70% [7]
  • 30% [3]
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Intern
Intern
Chicago Booth or Columbia?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 04 Sep 2018, 06:52
Hi everyone,

I have been very lucky to be accepted to both Chicago and Columbia. But I still cannot figure out which one would be best for me.
My profile:
- South East Asian, female, 28 years old
- Marketing Content Manager in technology industry

Pursuing MBA will be my great stepping stone for moving up to general view or strategic position in Marketing (not specifically doing marketing contents). I wish to land Marketing job in big tech company in the US right after my MBA graduation. In the long term (around 3 years after graduation), I wish to move and settle in Europe, doing also Marketing job in tech company.

Moreover, I understand MBA program is intense. There would be ups and down living through it.
As international students moving in to United States, I am excited as well as nervous. To help managing my cultural shock, I think it would be really helpful if I could study in warm and friendly environment.

Which school do you think cater both my career goal and study environment preference?
I'd really appreciate your thoughts.
Thanks in advance.
Admitted - Which School Forum Moderator
P
Concentration: Finance
Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Chicago Booth or Columbia?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 04 Sep 2018, 14:24
laynah wrote:
Hi everyone,

I have been very lucky to be accepted to both Chicago and Columbia. But I still cannot figure out which one would be best for me.
My profile:

Pursuing MBA will be my great stepping stone for moving up to general view or strategic position in Marketing (not specifically doing marketing contents). I wish to land Marketing job in big tech company in the US right after my MBA graduation. In the long term (around 3 years after graduation), I wish to move and settle in Europe, doing also Marketing job in tech company.

Moreover, I understand MBA program is intense. There would be ups and down living through it.
As international students moving in to United States, I am excited as well as nervous. To help managing my cultural shock, I think it would be really helpful if I could study in warm and friendly environment.

Which school do you think cater both my career goal and study environment preference?
Thanks in advance.

Hello laynah

First of all, congratulations on being admitted to both such great and prestigious schools. :thumbup:

Second, I totally understand why cannot decide easily, it is indeed very hard to choose between them.

About warm and friendly environment you can read in school reviews section, about experiences of alumni and decide for yourself, where you think you will fit better.

I am going to deal here with cold facts in order to help you to decide.

If we check FT Global MBA rankings for 2018, then Booth and Columbia are basically tied on 6th and 7th place, where Booth surpassed Columbia from previous year, Booth was on 8th place while Columbia stayed on 7th for two years in a row.

Weighted salary($) is also approximately the same, 177,680 for Columbia versus 174,153 for Booth.

If we look at last 3 years average rank Booth comes as being 8th and Columbia is on 7th place.

http://rankings.ft.com/businessschoolra ... nking-2018

More info can be found here :

In Economist rankings Booth is placed on 2. place and Columbia is on 9. place.

https://www.economist.com/whichmba/full ... ba-ranking

For you American rankings will be more important, since you want to land job in US afterwards.

In Forbes list of Best Business Schools Columbia and Booth come again more or less tied, as Columbia being on 6. place and Booth on 7th.

However, if look little more closer into figures, we can see that Columbia has a little bit higher 5 year gain and lower years to pay back ratio, higher salary but also higher tuition.

https://www.forbes.com/business-schools/list/

Now US news has significantly different opinion that sets them most apart, as Booth is placed on number 1 place shared with Harvard, while Columbia is placed on 9. place.

https://www.usnews.com/best-graduate-sc ... a-rankings

What should matter to you the most, is the strength of marketing department or marketing specialization at MBA and that alone could be a game changer for you in order to decide, what suits you best.

Top MBA rankings with specialization in Marketing puts Columbia on 8. place versus Booth on 14.

https://www.topmba.com/mba-rankings/spe ... /marketing

US News puts now Columbia on 7th place versus Booth being on 8th place, when MBA in Marketing is only deciding factor.

https://www.usnews.com/best-graduate-sc ... g-rankings

Finally, living in Chicago versus living in New York is also important decision that you need to make in terms of climate, cost of living etc. and in general Chicago is colder and New York is more expensive :-)

Here are data juxtaposed in terms of cost of living:

https://www.numbeo.com/cost-of-living/c ... Comparison

All in all, you cannot make a wrong choice, both schools are top, rest is just personal preference.

I voted for Columbia ;)

Good Luck ! :cool:

Your kudos are much appreciated

SVP
SVP
D
Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 04 Sep 2018, 18:54
laynah wrote:
Hi everyone,

My profile:

Thanks in advance.

Congrats for you both schools

I have an advice you to consider about schools. You need to check the following:

1- the differetn styles of study in both schools. Booth is famous with heavy quant curriculum. They have lot of labs to like marketing:
https://research.chicagobooth.edu/kilts ... keting-lab. In Columbia, they have center of marketing. Which one will help you.

2- You need to check the electives that you want to study to complement your goal.

3- Finally, you need to check the employment report in same positions you seek. You need to contact current students and hear from them

Good luck
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 04 Sep 2018, 21:50
Hi billionaire,

Thank you so much for the perspectives and suggestion of indicators that I can dig in.
Based on ranking for MBA - Marketing concentration, Columbia is better than Booth. However, the image of NYC is still intimidating me though. NYC is beast of its kind.
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 04 Sep 2018, 22:07
Hi Mo2men,

Thank you for your advice.

I have compared styles of study in both schools. Booth is heavy on quant, whereas Columbia is more about branding. I prefer the branding one.
However, after I compared the employment report between 2 schools, Booth is slightly better than Columbia.
I guess I still need to dig more :lol:
Founder
Founder
V
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GMAT ToolKit User CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 04 Sep 2018, 22:57
Are you attending FT or PT program? Just seems the timing is a bit odd for choosing a FT Program. Most have started already.

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here...
OG2019 Directory is here! - New!
Verbal OG2019 Directory is here! - New!

Co-author of the GMAT Club tests

Admitted - Which School Forum Moderator
P
Concentration: Finance
Premium Member CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 05 Sep 2018, 11:58
laynah wrote:
Hi billionaire,

Thank you so much for the perspectives and suggestion of indicators that I can dig in.
Based on ranking for MBA - Marketing concentration, Columbia is better than Booth. However, the image of NYC is still intimidating me though. NYC is beast of its kind.

Hello again laynah

If you are intimidated by New York, which is something I can understand, then you should go to Chicago.

Regarding employment report, I guess you already saw both schools reports already available on their websites, so I would not go into that now.

Instead, I will provide newest salary rankings from top 20 US universities, from Business Insider, for 2018 year, below.

It surely makes sense to choose a business school based on what will help lead you to the highest salary once you graduate with an MBA.

With that in mind, online lender SoFi looked at the average salary graduates of American business schools earn and ranked the top 20.

SoFi's approach is rather unique.

It reviewed the self-reported income on over 60,000 student-loan refinancing forms from January 2014 to December 2017.

https://www.businessinsider.com/busines ... ofi-2018-3

University of Chicago Booth comes as 9th with average salary of $166,215.

Columbia University or CBS is second with average salary of $189,295 in same period of 2014-2017.

If you are inclined to go to Chicago, go there, you cannot make a wrong choice, both schools are great and it comes only to personal preference regarding whatever category, like climate, culture, cost of living, city amenities, maybe friends and family already located there or near by, professors that will teach you, size of class, teaching style that suits you etc.

Keep us posted with your decision and your ultimate deciding reasons ;)

Your kudos are much appreciated

Re: Chicago Booth or Columbia? &nbs [#permalink] 05 Sep 2018, 11:58

Chicago Booth or Columbia?

new topic post reply Update application status  

Events & Promotions

PREV
NEXT

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap