Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 16:32 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 16:32

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [3]
Given Kudos: 6
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 99 [0]
Given Kudos: 74
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
GMAT 1: 650 Q45 V45
GRE 1: Q159 V157
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 16
Send PM
Re: Civil servant going to Kellogg. [#permalink]
swethairs2017 wrote:
I’ve worked for the Indian Revenue Service (India’s Tax Department) for about 4 years now and am currently Deputy Director of Income Tax for the city of Hyderabad.

Some background about me:

My father was a Police Officer in the Central Industrial Security Force. I’ve always aspired to give the Civil Services exam because not being able to clear it is one of his big regrets. My parents encouraged me to study engineering to keep my options open because the CS exam is so difficult to crack.

I got a B. Tech. in Electronics and Electrical Communication Engineering from IIT-Kharagpur and once I passed out, I cracked the CS exam after a year’s full-time preparation, and I became an IRS officer.

During COVID, working with pharma companies developing generic drugs made me realize I could have a greater impact in the private sector. Also, I didn’t want to work for the IRS for the rest of my life.

I’d taken the CAT exam while preparing for the CS exam and gotten into IIM-A, IIM-B & IIM-C so I could have taken the CAT again but I wanted the exposure to an international MBA as I had worked in India all my life.

MBA Applications:

I gave the GMAT and got 740. After getting no admit offers in R1, I went to work with Admissions Gateway after many recommendations.

Rajdeep Chimni was always available, on Sundays and at odd hours, during the admissions process, vital because of how busy I am with my day-job. He guided and pushed me over many iterations to choose the best stories, put them into context, and perfect them. Rajdeep is a ruthless editor.

My Learnings:

After R1, I retook the GMAT and got 770 but I don’t think it added much value to my application. It did give me a confidence boost but to anyone considering improving an already decent score, I would recommend spending the time and energy to build your essays rather than retaking the GMAT.
I think GMAT scores are not as important as they are made out to be.
Also, my timing was wrong for R1. I started too late and with my job, I don’t think I gave myself enough time to prepare.
My last piece of advice is, don’t be afraid to ask for external perspectives on your applications from seniors, friends, and colleagues, even if you are working with a consultant. External perspectives are very valuable during the process because you tend to develop blind spots because of the pressure.

Finally, try not to stress and don’t take rejections personally.

Posted from my mobile device
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 16
Send PM
Hi there, this is Rishabh Malik, Social Security Officer at ESIC, Ministry of Labour and Employment, Govt of India and currently posted at Mumbai, Maharashtra. Sir, I also plan to pursue MBA. I have applied and completed the interviews for Schulich school of Business, based in Canada. However, the main hurdle is currently lying in the professional references. My office is not ready to provide references. They could not find a way through CCS conduct rules. So I request you to please inform me how did you provide reference letters being a govt officer and is there any guideline or reference can I use to persuade the department. Awaiting your response. Thank you.
Rishabh Malik

Posted from my mobile device
GMAT Club Bot