Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 01:37 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 01:37

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Senior SC Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 35486 [44]
Given Kudos: 9464
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Senior SC Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 35486 [12]
Send PM
General Discussion
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 2301 [1]
Given Kudos: 114
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
GMAT 2: 760 Q50 V42
GRE 1: Q169 V168

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [1]
Given Kudos: 11
Send PM
Re: Closely interrelated concepts, a change in macroeconomic policy tends [#permalink]
Kudos
I would chose D too.

I wanted to choose answer E, but then after I read E, it sounds pretty repetitive.

For D, I'm more used to Given that + sentence kind of structure. Is Given+noun a good structure?
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 2301 [1]
Given Kudos: 114
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
GMAT 2: 760 Q50 V42
GRE 1: Q169 V168

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
Re: Closely interrelated concepts, a change in macroeconomic policy tends [#permalink]
Kudos
aerograce wrote:
I would chose D too.

I wanted to choose answer E, but then after I read E, it sounds pretty repetitive.

For D, I'm more used to Given that + sentence kind of structure. Is Given+noun a good structure?

”Given + Noun“ and "Given + that clause" are grammatically equivalent. "That clause" is a noun clause (a dependent clause that acts as a noun).
"Given" is a preposition meaning "taking into account". The object for a preposition must be a noun or a pronoun.
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 1040 [4]
Given Kudos: 101
Send PM
Closely interrelated concepts, a change in macroeconomic policy tends [#permalink]
Kudos
I settled on D also.

Quote:
A) Closely interrelated concepts, a change in macroeconomic policy tends to affect numerous microeconomic transactions, and the accumulation of microeconomic decisions typically influences the focus of macroeconomic studies, so any economics curriculum requires considerable study of both macroeconomic and microeconomic concepts.

The only issue with this option is the opening modifier closely interrelated concepts. As the sentence is, it modifies a change in macroeconomics, when it is rather meant to modify both macroeconomic and microeconomic policies. We have a dangling modifier issue in A. Eliminate A.

Quote:
B) A change in macroeconomic policy tends to affect microeconomic transactions numerously, and the accumulation of microeconomic decisions influences the focus of macroeconomics studies typically; since the concepts of macroeconomics and microeconomics are related closely, any economics curriculum requires considerable study of both macroeconomic and microeconomic concepts.

We can clearly see that B corrects the dangling modifier issue in A by stating that the concepts of macroeconomics and microeconomics are related. This idea was rightly introduced with a clause that is appropriately subordinated with since, which expresses a cause, with the effect rightly stated in the non-underlined portion. One would think that all is well with this sentence except that it is laden with three adverb placement issues. numerously is an adverb. It is true that adverbs have the advantage of flexibility in terms of their placement in a sentence. This advantage is sometimes far fetched considering adverbs can modify both adjectives, verbs, and an entire clause. So how do we know that what numerously modify? If it modifies the verb tends, the adjective microeconomic, or the entire clause? Per the way the sentence is structured, numerously erroneously modifies transactions, and this is wrong because an adverb cannot modify a noun. Another adverb that is wrongly placed in B is typically. This adverb is meant to modify the verb influences and the best placement for it before the verb influences. Last but not the least, the best position for closely is between the auxiliary verb are and related. Eliminate B for these errors.

Quote:
C) A change in macroeconomic policy tends to affect numerous microeconomic transactions, and the accumulation of microeconomic decisions typically influences the focus of macroeconomic studies as a closely related concept, so any economics curriculum requires considerable study of both macroeconomic and microeconomic concepts.

There is a dangling modifier problem in C. as a closely related concept is expected to modify both macroeconomic and microeconomic policies. However, it modifies macroeconomic studies in C. Eliminate C for this error.

Quote:
D) A change in macroeconomic policy tends to affect numerous microeconomic transactions, and the accumulation of microeconomic decisions typically influences the focus of macroeconomics studies; given these closely related concepts, any economics curriculum requires considerable study of both macroeconomic and microeconomic concepts.

D has no issues. Everything seems perfect. The dangling modifier issue is corrected with the phrase given these closely related concepts. Two concepts are considered in the sentence, so these concepts rightly create a copy of macroeconomic and microeconomic policies. It s worth noting that given these closely related concepts is a participial phrase (present tense=give, past tense=gave, past particple=given). Participial phrases can be used to express cause in a sentence. So given these closely related concepts presents the cause of the effect expressed in the non-underlined portion of the sentence: any economic curriculum requires considerable study of both macroeconomic and microeconomic concepts. In addition, the participial phrase sensically modifies any economic curriculum. Keep D.

Quote:
E) A change in macroeconomic policy tends to affect numerous microeconomic transactions, and the accumulation of microeconomic decisions typically influences the focus of macroeconomics studies; since the concepts of macroeconomics and microeconomics are closely related, any economics curriculum requires considerable study of both macroeconomic and microeconomic concepts.

The only difference between D and E is the clause since the concepts of macroeconomics and microeconomics are closely related in E and the participial phrase given these closely related concepts in D. Ultimately, it boils down to concision, and a phrase that expresses the same idea in a sentence as a clause is more concise. So E can be eliminated and D is left as the best answer.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 178 [1]
Given Kudos: 186
GMAT 1: 720 Q50 V36
WE:Consulting (Computer Software)
Send PM
Closely interrelated concepts, a change in macroeconomic policy tends [#permalink]
Kudos
Closely interrelated concepts, a change in macroeconomic policy tends to affect numerous microeconomic transactions, and the accumulation of microeconomic decisions typically influences the focus of macroeconomic studies, so any economics curriculum requires considerable study of both macroeconomic and microeconomic concepts.

]A) Closely interrelated concepts, a change in macroeconomic policy tends to affect numerous microeconomic transactions, and the accumulation of microeconomic decisions typically influences the focus of macroeconomic studies, so

It says that a change is closely interrelated concepts- Wrong. Actually the concepts of macroeconomics and microeconomics are closely related

B) A change in macroeconomic policy tends to affect microeconomic transactions numerously, and the accumulation of microeconomic decisions influences the focus of macroeconomics studies typically; since the concepts of macroeconomics and microeconomics are related closely,

Modifier error. Actual meaning is that there are numerous transactions, not that affect happened numerously.

C) A change in macroeconomic policy tends to affect numerous microeconomic transactions, and the accumulation of microeconomic decisions typically influences the focus of macroeconomic studies as a closely related concept, so

This option says that accumulation of microeconomic decisions influences as a concept. Totally different meaning.

D) A change in macroeconomic policy tends to affect numerous microeconomic transactions, and the accumulation of microeconomic decisions typically influences the focus of macroeconomics studies; given these closely related concepts,

here casualty is lost.

E) A change in macroeconomic policy tends to affect numerous microeconomic transactions, and the accumulation of microeconomic decisions typically influences the focus of macroeconomics studies; since the concepts of macroeconomics and microeconomics are closely related

Perfect.

(E) is my take.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 18 [1]
Given Kudos: 146
GMAT 1: 610 Q46 V28
GMAT 2: 690 Q48 V36
Send PM
Kudos
Why is the answer E over D ?
In case of option E there happens to be redundancy of 'concepts of macroeconomics and microeconomics'
whereas the same issue is resolved in D

Option D evaluates to
D) A change in macroeconomic policy tends to affect numerous microeconomic transactions, and the accumulation of microeconomic decisions typically influences the focus of macroeconomics studies; given these closely related concepts,

A change in macroeconomic policy tends to affect numerous microeconomic transactions, and the accumulation of microeconomic decisions typically influences the focus of macroeconomics studies; given these closely related concepts,any economics curriculum requires considerable study of both macroeconomic and microeconomic concepts.

and option E evaluates to
E) A change in macroeconomic policy tends to affect numerous microeconomic transactions, and the accumulation of microeconomic decisions typically influences the focus of macroeconomics studies; since the concepts of macroeconomics and microeconomics are closely related,

A change in macroeconomic policy tends to affect numerous microeconomic transactions, and the accumulation of microeconomic decisions typically influences the focus of macroeconomics studies; since the concepts of macroeconomics and microeconomics are closely related,any economics curriculum requires considerable study of both macroeconomic and microeconomic concepts.
Senior SC Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 35486 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
I have posted the official explanation here
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 29 [0]
Given Kudos: 331
Concentration: Technology, Strategy
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V35
GPA: 3.6
Send PM
generis wrote:

Project SC Butler: Day 217: Sentence Correction (SC1)

For SC butler Questions Click Here

Closely interrelated concepts, a change in macroeconomic policy tends to affect numerous microeconomic transactions, and the accumulation of microeconomic decisions typically influences the focus of macroeconomic studies, so any economics curriculum requires considerable study of both macroeconomic and microeconomic concepts.

A) Closely interrelated concepts, a change in macroeconomic policy tends to affect numerous microeconomic transactions, and the accumulation of microeconomic decisions typically influences the focus of macroeconomic studies, so

B) A change in macroeconomic policy tends to affect microeconomic transactions numerously, and the accumulation of microeconomic decisions influences the focus of macroeconomics studies typically; since the concepts of macroeconomics and microeconomics are related closely,

C) A change in macroeconomic policy tends to affect numerous microeconomic transactions, and the accumulation of microeconomic decisions typically influences the focus of macroeconomic studies as a closely related concept, so

E) A change in macroeconomic policy tends to affect numerous microeconomic transactions, and the accumulation of microeconomic decisions typically influences the focus of macroeconomics studies; since the concepts of macroeconomics and microeconomics are closely related,

GMATNinja @moderator
I have a question regarding this. I got the answer right and I got all the things correct. However, this question took me 2:30, absolutely slow for an SC.
Any tips/tricks to speeding up a 700 level fully or mostly underlined SC ?
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 183 [0]
Given Kudos: 309
Send PM
generis wrote:

Project SC Butler: Day 217: Sentence Correction (SC1)

For SC butler Questions Click Here

A) Closely interrelated concepts, a change in macroeconomic policy tends to affect numerous microeconomic transactions, and the accumulation of microeconomic decisions typically influences the focus of macroeconomic studies, so
is the 2 subjects interrelated or the changes interrealted questionable exactly what the setence is pointing at therefore out

affecting numerously what does it intend , the changes in mathematics the meaning is distorted and doesn't make much sense

so , why so the meaning isn't properly conveyed or rather is there any meaning conveyed out

given isn't the right term that can be used for showcasing the contrast therefore out

The meaing is absolutely perfect therefore let us hang on to it

Therefore IMO E
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6920 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts