GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 21 Oct 2018, 16:31

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Columbia January Intake?

new topic post reply Update application status  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Manager
Manager
B
Premium Member Reviews Badge
Columbia January Intake?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 02 Mar 2018, 06:51
Hi All,

I was interested in applying to Columbia's January Intake because I don't have a strong profile.

GPA: 7.22
WE: 38 months (Time of Entry) - Telecom MNC
GMAT: 620
IELTS: 8
No great extracurriculars.

Am I going to be rejected straight up? I have a strong application in my place but it still can't quantify against the strong applicants that come into Columbia. Thus I wanted to take a shot at January intake.

Also, when does the form open up for January intake? It's still not available on the website.

Thanks,
Arijit

Originally posted by arijit2 on 02 Mar 2018, 05:37.
Last edited by arijit2 on 02 Mar 2018, 06:51, edited 1 time in total.
MBA Section Director
V
Affiliations: GMAT Club
City: Pune
GMAT 1: 680 Q49 V34
GPA: 3.4
WE: Business Development (Manufacturing)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Re: Columbia January Intake?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 02 Mar 2018, 06:49
arijit2 wrote:
Hi All,

I was interested in applying to Columbia's January Intake because I don't have a strong profile.

GPA: 7.22 (6 Backlogs)

Am I going to be rejected straight up? I have a strong application in my place but it still can't quantify against the strong applicants that come into Columbia. Thus I wanted to take a shot at January intake.

Also, when does the form open up for January intake? It's still not available on the website.

Thanks,
Arijit

J term application goes live in June. As for profile assessment, please post your profile details in this forum https://gmatclub.com/forum/ask-admissio ... tants-124/

Hope that helps!

Chances of Getting Admitted After an Interview [Data Crunch]

Must Read Forum Topics Before You Kick Off Your MBA Application

New GMAT Club Decision Tracker - Real Time Decision Updates

Manager
Manager
B

Show Tags

New post 02 Mar 2018, 06:50
Ah that's a long long time away.

Thanks for your help Narenn.
Stratus Admissions Consultant
P
Concentration: Marketing, Organizational Behavior
Schools: Kellogg
GPA: 3.67
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 02 Mar 2018, 07:17
arijit2 wrote:
Hi All,

Hi @Arijit2-- first I really appreciate that you notice that I do try to be helpful in my profile reviews-- I know there is a real person-- with real concerns and feelings-- behind every post-- and I try to keep that in mind always. Now on to your question...
GPA: 7.22
So.... I want to be useful-- and also I want you to realize that I am not a dream killer-- in that there is ALWAYS someone who defies the odds...
but if you are going to be that person-- I need you to take on a different mindset. Not-- I am a weaker candidate so I will apply J round-- but rather--- why does the J Round make sense for me? spoiler alert-- the answer CAN NOT Be-- this is the only way I think I can get in!!! The answer needs to be more that I already have great work experience and I don't need the internship-- but I need CBS and the resources X,Y, and Z to help me reach my post MBA goal of X. That's how you should approach this. Also-- use the next few months to either 1) retake GMAT or 2) if you really think you are maxed out-- then take GRE and get a score with GRE over 160 in each area if you can-- don't have reference for CBS-- but they took 8% of applicants on GRE-- and just as reference avg GRE at Stanford GSB was 164 each on V and Q-- so aim for a little less than that for CBS. The other thing is engage with CBS now-- here are tips on how to engage from afar:
https://stratusadmissionscounseling.com ... ram-india/ and then also-- consider getting some coaching to make your application as strong as possible-- for a free consult with us go to this link: https://stratusadmissionscounseling.com ... b-visitor/

Am I going to be rejected straight up? I have a strong application in my place but it still can't quantify against the strong applicants that come into Columbia. Thus I wanted to take a shot at January intake. See all my notes above-- and really ask yourself WHAT do I need from CBS MBA!

Thanks,
Arijit

Donna | Stratus Admissions | Schedule a Free Consult

Manager
Manager
B

Show Tags

New post 02 Mar 2018, 07:30
Thanks a lot, Stratus :)

I actually do need the internship, but I am willing to let go of it if I get a shot at CBS. (They do have an 8-week summer break which I can use for an internship).

Also, thanks a lot for your great points. I shall think about this carefully and if I think I can take a shot in June for CBS - I will go ahead with it.

Thanks,
Arijit
Veritas Prep Admissions Consultant
G

Show Tags

New post 02 Mar 2018, 10:05
With your current profile it would be very unlikely that CBS would admit you. Not a problem right now it just means you will have to take some actions to make sure you are the type of candidate that can break through at CBS. One thing you have in your favor is that you seem to be on the younger end, so you can delay your application until your profile is in range and competitive. You will want to look at each category you referenced above and create a game plan to improve to the point where you are in range of the school's averages. if you need help with that, there are a multitude of consulting services that can help you but it ALL starts with you. Once you determine what aspects of your profile you feel you can move then work on a plan to ensure you breakthrough! Good luck!

Veritas Prep | Veritas Prep Admissions Consultant

Find the expert who’s right for you. Meet our team!
Veritas Prep Reviews

Manager
Manager
B

Show Tags

New post 02 Mar 2018, 10:13
Thanks a lot for the input Veritas.
Ivy Groupe Admissions Consulting Representative
S
Status: Boutique MBA Admissions Consulting from a Harvard Business School graduate and MBA admissions expert
Affiliations: Harvard, Princeton

Show Tags

New post 02 Mar 2018, 11:14
Hi Arijit,

Where there is a will, there is a way! While your profile is on the weaker side, time is on your side and so YOU CAN take steps to bolster your profile. You've already identified a lot of your weaknesses so even taking baby steps will get you closer to your goal. Put together a game plan, and go for it!

Best,
Shaifali

Ivy Groupe, Founder/CEO
Boutique MBA Admissions Consulting

Blog: https://www.ivygroupe.com/blog
Email: info@ivygroupe.com
Phone: 646.801.5190

Click here for GMAT Club Reviews!

Manager
Manager
B

Show Tags

New post 02 Mar 2018, 11:35
Thanks Shaifali.

I'm going to try for Fall 2018 intakes still. If things don't work out, I will try for the Jan intakes. Will try ways to boost my profile that time.

-Arijit
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Columbia January Intake? &nbs [#permalink] 02 Mar 2018, 11:35

Columbia January Intake?

new topic post reply Update application status  

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap