Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 00:00 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 00:00

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Current Student
Status:He came. He saw. He conquered. -- Going to Business School -- Corruptus in Extremis
Own Kudos [?]: 5738 [11]
Given Kudos: 3054
Concentration: Finance, Economics
Send PM
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 2427 [3]
Given Kudos: 1131
Concentration: Operations, Marketing
GPA: 3.5
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 22
Send PM
IIM School Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 1238 [0]
Given Kudos: 1207
WE:Engineering (Other)
Send PM
Re: Columnist: The relief from the drudgery of physical labor that much [#permalink]
Quote:
Columnist: The relief from the drudgery of physical labor that much modern technology affords its users renders them dependent on this technology, and, more importantly, on the elaborate energy systems required to run it. This leads to a loss of self-sufficiency. Clearly, then, in addition to undermining life’s charm, much modern technology diminishes the overall well-being of its users.

In an assumption question, start with identifying the conclusion, which is :
Modern technology does two ugly things:
  • undermines life’s charm.
  • decreases overall well-being of users of the technology

Supporting premise:
While modern technology may seem to offer some sort of relief to its users,
it is actually ironical that people are becoming more dependent on it with every
passing day. Also since users are now dependent on energy systems to run
the technology, they are becoming less self-sufficient.

Let's jump to PoE:

Quote:
(A) Physical labor is essential to a fulfilling life

Let's once review the chain of events here:
technology usage ->less self sufficient -> decrease in ( life's charm and overall wellness of its users)
If I negate (A)
Physical labor is NOT essential to a fulfilling life
Oops !! This does not undermine my conclusion. In fact argument says
relief from physical labor and using technology is actually making people less self-sufficient
and decreasing their wellness. Cross out this.

Quote:
(B) Self-sufficiency contributes to a person’s well-being

Let us negate this:
Self-sufficiency does not contribute to a person’s well-being
Hey I just broke the last link . Yup my conclusion is invalid. A valid assumption.

Quote:
(C) People are not free if they must depend on anything other than their own capabilities

Way out of scope of argument. Why do I at all need to assume this. Easy out

Quote:
(D) Anything causing a loss in life’s charm is unjustifiable unless this loss is compensated by some gain

Compensation of losses in life's charm by any sort of gain is way out of scope of argument and need not be assumed at all.

Quote:
(E) Technology inherently limits the well-being of its users

Close , but not correct ans. Is this a MUST BE TRUE unstated premise for my conclusion to be valid?
Let's negate to find:
Technology inherently does not limit the well-being of its users.
Nope, does not do anything to conclusion. Remember, a correct negated choice must
SHATTER the conclusion.

generis nightblade354 gmatexam439 ammuseeru pikolo2510 Harshgmat
Please add your two cents to above reasoning.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 210 [3]
Given Kudos: 209
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
Send PM
Re: Columnist: The relief from the drudgery of physical labor that much [#permalink]
Kudos
Great question!

Premise

Modern technology provides relief from the drudgery of physical labor, rendering such users dependent on the said technology. This leads to loss of self -sufficiency, which in turn diminishes the overall well-being of its users.

Conclusion

Loss of self -sufficiency diminishes well-being.

Assumption

Any answer choice which gives a causal relation between self-sufficiency and well being will sufficiently bridge the gap between the conclusion and the premise.

Let us understand the causality here, shall we?

People who use Modern technology => Are relieved from the drudgery of physical labor => Become dependent on modern technology => Lose self-sufficiency => (Undermining life's charm) AND (Overall well being)

nightblade354 wrote:
Columnist: The relief from the drudgery of physical labor that much modern technology affords its users renders them dependent on this technology, and, more importantly, on the elaborate energy systems required to run it. This leads to a loss of self-sufficiency. Clearly, then, in addition to undermining life’s charm, much modern technology diminishes the overall well-being of its users.

Which one of the following is an assumption required by the columnist’s argument?

(A) Physical labor is essential to a fulfilling life.
In a causal relationship if physical labor is essential to fulfilling life, then a lack of self-sufficiency does not necessarily imply diminishing well being. Well being may have more factors contributing to it than just physical labor. Logical inconsistency.

(B) Self-sufficiency contributes to a person’s well-being.
Sufficiently bridges the gap between the premise and the conclusion. Gives a causal relationship.

(C) People are not free if they must depend on anything other than their own capabilities.
Only those people are under the purview of the question who use modern technology to be relieved of the drudgery of physical labor. The people dependent on anything other than their capabilities is a set of people who are not the ones the question is concerned with.

(D) Anything causing a loss in life’s charm is unjustifiable unless this loss is compensated by some gain.
The passage doesn't imply just some random gain, it clearly specifies what kind of gain: relief from the drudgery of physical labor.

(E) Technology inherently limits the well-being of its users.
Since the passage is concerned with modern technology, we cannot be sure of this to be the correct answer choice. More importantly, it jumps to the well-being aspect of the conclusion without touching up the part which mentions the reduction in self-sufficiency. This way the technology has a direct causal relationship with well being of its users, in a way, weakening the conclusion.

Source: LSAT

Kudos will be given to the BEST explanation posted before the OA is revealed!

Gotta hand me some of that lovely Kudos, don't you think? ;)

Originally posted by abhinav770 on 17 Jul 2018, 08:59.
Last edited by abhinav770 on 17 Jul 2018, 09:08, edited 1 time in total.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 210 [0]
Given Kudos: 209
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
Send PM
Hey chickckens!
Yes, you are correct to go with answer choice (B). However, eliminating all other answer choices should be equally important when practicing questions. I welcome you to have a look at my answer to this question.

chickckens wrote:
mm B was between A and B but B clearly creates a connection between the argument and the premise
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 765 [0]
Given Kudos: 118
GMAT 1: 200 Q1 V1
GPA: 3.82
WE:Consulting (Other)
Send PM
adkikani wrote:
Quote:

Supporting premise:
it is actually ironical that people are becoming more dependent on it with every

Let's jump to PoE:

Quote:

technology usage ->less self sufficient -> decrease in ( life's charm and overall wellness of its users)
If I negate (A)
relief from physical labor and using technology is actually making people less self-sufficient

Quote:

Let us negate this:
Hey I just broke the last link . Yup my conclusion is invalid. A valid assumption.

Quote:
(C) People are not free if they must depend on anything other than their own capabilities

Quote:
(D) Anything causing a loss in life’s charm is unjustifiable unless this loss is compensated by some gain

Compensation of losses in life's charm by any sort of gain is way out of scope of argument and need not be assumed at all.

Quote:

Close , but not correct ans. Is this a MUST BE TRUE unstated premise for my conclusion to be valid?
Let's negate to find:
Nope, does not do anything to conclusion. Remember, a correct negated choice must
SHATTER the conclusion.

Dear adkikani

Please note that option E) is actually the conclusion stated in the question.

Last statement is - "much modern technology diminishes the overall well-being of its users"

We need to find assumption which will support the above conclusion.

Hope this helps :-)
Current Student
Status:He came. He saw. He conquered. -- Going to Business School -- Corruptus in Extremis
Own Kudos [?]: 5738 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
Harshgmat wrote:
adkikani wrote:
Quote:

Supporting premise:

Let's jump to PoE:

Quote:

If I negate (A)

Quote:

Let us negate this:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Let's negate to find:
SHATTER the conclusion.

Dear adkikani

Please note that option E) is actually the conclusion stated in the question.

Last statement is - "much modern technology diminishes the overall well-being of its users"

We need to find assumption which will support the above conclusion.

Hope this helps :-)

A word of caution, as (E) is not our conclusion. Modern technology and technology are not interchangeable. This is a key reason why (E) is not the correct answer.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 765 [0]
Given Kudos: 118
GMAT 1: 200 Q1 V1
GPA: 3.82
WE:Consulting (Other)
Send PM
A word of caution, as (E) is not our conclusion. Modern technology and technology are not interchangeable. This is a key reason why (E) is not the correct answer.

nightblade354

noted :thumbup:

Critically reasoned :clap:
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 5738 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
Good job to all! Kudos were awarded to 2 people: sudarshan22 and abhinav770.

If anyone needs further clarification, please ask!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 124 [1]
Given Kudos: 132
GPA: 3.59
WE:Sales (Retail)
Send PM
Columnist: The relief from the drudgery of physical labor that much [#permalink]