Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 21:48 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 21:48

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 4560 [34]
Given Kudos: 128
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [2]
Given Kudos: 12
Schools: Mannheim"19
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 29 [3]
Given Kudos: 9
Send PM
Re: Company president: Most of our best sales representatives came to the [#permalink]
Kudos
rghvaggarwal wrote:
EPLANATION PLEASE. Option B is repeat of questions. how it can be the weakening argument.

Choice B is correct because if most of the folks being hired have degree in engineering and no sales experience, then there is no wonder why most of the better ones belong to that group.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Given Kudos: 14
Send PM
Re: Company president: Most of our best sales representatives came to the [#permalink]
I don't understand this explanation. The conclusion is that when the company hires sales reps, it should favor applicants....... How does B weaken. I opt for E

Sent from my D6503 using GMAT Club Forum mobile app
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 29 [4]
Given Kudos: 9
Send PM
Kudos
aaronTgmaT wrote:
I don't understand this explanation. The conclusion is that when the company hires sales reps, it should favor applicants....... How does B weaken. I opt for E

Suppose, there are 100 sales staff in the company, and 95 of them have engineering degrees with no previous sales experience.

And if I say that most of the best sales folks have engineering degrees with no previous sales experience, is not that very likely?

If there are 20 amazing sales employees, out of which 15 (out of the 95) are from eng. background it still validates the premise. Is not it?

Because, most of the staffs anyway belong to the same pool.

It does not lend importance or credibility to the capability or skill of such a group. It is just selecting from the options they have.

I hope this makes sense.
Own Kudos [?]: 1970 [4]
Given Kudos: 200
Concentration: Finance, Technology
GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V41
GPA: 4
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Company president: Most of our best sales representatives came to the job with a degree in engineering but little or no sales experience. Thus, when we hire sales representatives, we should favor applicants who have engineering degrees but little or no sales experience over applicants with extensive sales experience but no engineering
degrees.

Which one of the following, if true, most seriously weakens the company president's argument?

(A) Some of the company's sales representatives completed a degree in engineering while working for the company. --Some people will always be there. They have no impact on the argument.
(B) Most of the people hired by the company as sales representatives have had a degree in engineering but no sales experience. --Let's consider an analogy. Suppose out of 100 people 90 are MBAs. Out of 10 Top performers 9 are MBAs. So it doesn't mean that MBAs are better than non-MBAs. Since 10% of both groups is amongst the top performers. This option is stating this only.
(C) Most of the customers that the company's sales representatives work with have a degree in engmeenng. --Customer's degree is out of scope
(D) Most of the people who apply for a sales representative position with the company do not have a degree in engineering. --This has no impact on the argument. We need to talk about the employees and not about the applicants
(E) Some of the people who the company has hired as sales representatives and who were subsequently not very good at the job did not have extensive previous sales experience. --Some people will always be there. These do not have any impact on the argument.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 4560 [0]
Given Kudos: 128
Send PM
PowerScore explanation:

Quote:
Complete Question Explanation

Weaken—#%. The correct answer choice is (B)

Based on the fact that the majority of the company’s best sales representatives came in with an engineering degree but no sales experience, the president quoted in this example suggests that the company should look for similar attributes when doing further hiring:

Premise: Most of the company’s best sales representatives came to the company with engineering degrees but little sales experience.

Conclusion: When the company hires more sales representatives, applicants with engineering degrees and limited sales experience should be favored over those with significant sales experience but no engineering degree.

An issue with the argument presented is that the company president presents a premise about the proportion of the most successful sales representatives at the company, and draws a broad conclusion about sales representatives in general (the group of sales representatives at the company is not necessarily representative of sales reps in general).

The stimulus is followed by a Weaken question, so the correct answer choice will provide some reason to question the validity of the author’s conclusion.

Answer choice (A): This choice provides that “some” sales reps got their degrees while working at the company. “Some” could mean as few as one, and this choice doesn’t even deal with people who came to the company with a degree, or necessarily with any of the most successful sales representatives. This choice has no effect on the author’s argument, and should be ruled out of contention in response to this Weaken question.

Answer choice (B): This is the correct answer choice. If, as this choice provides, the majority of the sales reps at the company fall under the category of “engineering degree but no previous experience,” then that in itself might explain why most of the company’s successful sales representatives fall under that same category (rather than the author’s assertion, that membership in this category makes one more likely to become a successful sales rep).

Answer choice (C): The portion of customers who have an engineering degree is not relevant to the author’s argument, and it does not weaken the conclusion, which deals only with the attributes that the president suggests the company should favor in its hiring of more sales representatives.

Answer choice (D): The president’s recommendations only deal with the applicants for sales representative positions, and who among the group of prospects should get preference. A majority of applicants’ lacking engineering degrees would not have any impact on the president’s recommendation, so this choice cannot be the right answer to this Weaken question.

Answer choice (E): This choice provides that some, or at least one, of the less successful sales representatives at the company also lacked previous sales experience. This does not weaken the company president’s argument, which is based on the presence of attributes shared by most of the
company’s successful sales representatives.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 201 [0]
Given Kudos: 332
Send PM
aaronTgmaT wrote:

I too chose E. E suggests that perhaps the company should not selectively favour those with engineering degrees...sales experience is still important.

More importantly, I think for the purposes of the GMAT, B isn't a good answer because it does in fact repeat what we already know. This is the reason I eliminated B. However, I do acknowledge the points made by others that simply by virtue of there being more engineering employees that those same individuals will make up the bulk of your 'hits' so to speak in terms of who the best performers are.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 223 [1]
Given Kudos: 434
Send PM
Kudos
B does not repeat what we already know.

In the stimulus we're told that most of the best sales representatives came to the job with a degree in engineering but little or no sales experience.

The best sales representatives represent only a portion of the total number of sales representatives.

The company president concludes that since the best sales representatives came to the job with a degree in engineering but little or no sales experience, why not favor applicants with these qualifications?

B tells us that most of the people hired by the company as sales representatives have a degree in engineering but no sales experience. This choices gives us reason to doubt the company president's reasoning that applicants who have engineering degrees but little or no sales experience fare better than applicants with extensive sales experience but no engineering degrees -- most of the sales representatives started out with engineering degrees and no sales experience!

So it's more likely that the best sales representatives start out with a degree in engineering but little or no sales experience.

Answer is B.
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6923 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
CR Forum Moderator
832 posts