GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 15 Nov 2018, 01:19

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
Events & Promotions in November
PrevNext
SuMoTuWeThFrSa
Open Detailed Calendar
  • Free GMAT Strategy Webinar

November 17, 2018

November 17, 2018

07:00 AM PST

09:00 AM PST

Nov. 17, 7 AM PST. Aiming to score 760+? Attend this FREE session to learn how to Define your GMAT Strategy, Create your Study Plan and Master the Core Skills to excel on the GMAT.
  • GMATbuster's Weekly GMAT Quant Quiz # 9

November 17, 2018

November 17, 2018

09:00 AM PST

11:00 AM PST

Join the Quiz Saturday November 17th, 9 AM PST. The Quiz will last approximately 2 hours. Make sure you are on time or you will be at a disadvantage.

Compared to non-profit hospitals of the same size, investor-owned

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Senior CR Moderator
V
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Compared to non-profit hospitals of the same size, investor-owned  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 11 Jun 2017, 06:08
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

5% (low)

Question Stats:

90% (01:23) correct 10% (01:43) wrong based on 224 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Compared to non-profit hospitals of the same size, investor-owned hospitals require less public investment in the form of tax breaks, use fewer employees, and have higher occupancy levels. It can therefore be concluded that investor-owned hospitals are a better way of delivering medical care than are non-profit hospitals.

Which one of the following, if true, most undermines the conclusion drawn above?

(A) Non-profit hospitals charge more per bed than do investor-owned hospitals.

(B) Patients in non-profit hospitals recover more quickly than don patients with comparable Illnesses in investor-owned hospitals

(C) Non-profit hospitals do more fundraising than do investor-owned hospitals.

(D) Doctors at non-profit hospitals earn higher salaries than do similarly qualified doctors at investor-owned hospitals.

(E) Non-profit hospitals receive more donations than do investor-owned hospitals.

Actual LSAT CR bank by Broall

How to solve quadratic equations - Factor quadratic equations
Factor table with sign: The useful tool to solve polynomial inequalities
Applying AM-GM inequality into finding extreme/absolute value

New Error Log with Timer

Most Helpful Community Reply
Senior SC Moderator
V
Premium Member CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 10 Jul 2018, 19:12
adkikani wrote:
nightblade354 generis GMATNinja VeritasPrepKarishma Skywalker18 pikolo2510

I feel (A) is irrelevant to argument and not a strengthener.
May I know your views?
Quote:
Compared to non-profit hospitals of the same size, investor-owned hospitals require less public investment in the form of tax breaks, use fewer employees, and have higher occupancy levels. It can therefore be concluded that investor-owned hospitals are a better way of delivering medical care than are non-profit hospitals.

Author concludes that investor-owned hospitals (IO h) are a better way of delivering medical care than are non-profit hospitals (NP h).
Why does he think so?
Because IO h:
  • They need less investment so they can use more for productivity of machines, better pay to doctors, etc.
  • They can perform same work with less employees, may be because of better automation.
  • Their wards are usually more occupied than NP h at any given time.
Quote:
Which one of the following, if true, most undermines the conclusion drawn above?

I need to undermine above conclusion.
Quote:

I agree on some level that now fewer number of patients will go to NP h.
But wait: we are dealing with doubting to claim that there is a better way to treat people at IO h than NP h.
This option choice does not affect my argument since I am not concerned with if fewer people now go to
NP h, I am concerned with IO h may not deliver medical attention to patients.

adkikani , good instincts.

A is irrelevant. The issue, as you point out, is better medical care - ("a better way . . . to deliver medical care").

Your perspective is decisive. Stay with it.

I will hedge, preemptively. (I will anticipate arguments from people who disagree with you.)
Option A is 98% irrelevant, 2% strengthener (pretend for a moment)
Maybe Option A strengthens the conclusion because:
If non-profit hospitals charge more per bed, investor-owned hospitals either are or may be less expensive for patients.
And IF less expensive, then . . . then nothing.

Full stop. We cannot infer "less expensive = better care or better way to deliver medical care."
Cheaper is not necessarily better.

You expressed and captured that logic very well right here:
Quote:
This option choice does not affect my argument since I am not concerned with if fewer people now go to
NP h, I am concerned with IO h may not deliver medical attention to patients
:thumbup: :thumbup:
You identified the right issues and reasoned accurately about an option that is not obvious. +1

I have a small caution, a caution I issue to almost everyone with CR and LR.
I am not sure what some of your extra material is for. You wrote:

• They need less investment in the form of tax breaks -
    so they can use more for productivity of machines, better pay to doctors, etc.
  • They can perform same work with less employees,
    may be because of better automation.

Yellow highlight might be speculation.
On a "weaken" question, try not to speculate about reasons that the claim might be true.

On the other hand, you might be trying to anticipate how the argument is weak.
I am not sure. Just in case, whatever those extra bits are . . .

We are trying to weaken the claim, not supply the reasons why it is true.
Small matter. I just want to be sure. ;)

Nice work. Analysis of A was spot on, and the issue is a fairly subtle one. :-)
General Discussion
Manager
Manager
G
Re: Compared to non-profit hospitals of the same size, investor-owned  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 11 Jun 2017, 10:08
Imo the answer should be B.

A- Strengthener
B- Perfect! If patients are getting recovered more quickly, they will go to the non profit hospitals no matter what.
C- We are not concerned with the fund raising. We need a statement that talks about the patients.
D- We don't care about doctors salaries either. We need a statement that talks about the patients.
E- We don't care about their donations either. We need a statement that talks about the patients.

Please give me a "kudos" if you liked my reasoning.

Thank You!
Board of Directors
P
GPA: 3.5
WE: Business Development (Commercial Banking)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Re: Compared to non-profit hospitals of the same size, investor-owned  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 11 Jun 2017, 10:22
nguyendinhtuong wrote:

(B) Patients in non-profit hospitals recover more quickly than don patients with comparable Illnesses in investor-owned hospitals

(C) Non-profit hospitals do more fundraising than do investor-owned hospitals.

(D) Doctors at non-profit hospitals earn higher salaries than do similarly qualified doctors at investor-owned hospitals.

(E) Non-profit hospitals receive more donations than do investor-owned hospitals.

Clear winner is (B) for the highlighted errors in other options...

Thanks and Regards

Abhishek....

PLEASE FOLLOW THE RULES FOR POSTING IN QA AND VA FORUM AND USE SEARCH FUNCTION BEFORE POSTING NEW QUESTIONS

How to use Search Function in GMAT Club | Rules for Posting in QA forum | Writing Mathematical Formulas |Rules for Posting in VA forum | Request Expert's Reply ( VA Forum Only )

Study Buddy Forum Moderator
D
WE: Engineering (Other)
Premium Member CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 10 Jul 2018, 17:54
nightblade354 generis GMATNinja VeritasPrepKarishma Skywalker18 pikolo2510

I feel (A) is irrelevant to argument and not a strengthener.
May I know your views?

Quote:

Author concludes that investor-owned hospitals (IO h) are a better way of delivering medical care than are non-profit hospitals (NP h).
Why does he think so?
Because IO h:
  • They need less investment so they can use more for productivity of machines, better pay to doctors, etc.
  • They can perform same work with less employees, may be because of better automation.

Quote:

I need to undermine above conclusion.

Quote:

I agree on some level that now fewer number of patients will go to NP h.
But wait: we are dealing with doubting to claim that there is a better way to treat people at IO h than NP h.
NP h, I am concerned with IO h may not deliver medical attention to patients.

It's the journey that brings us happiness not the destination.

GMAT Club Bot
Compared to non-profit hospitals of the same size, investor-owned &nbs [#permalink] 10 Jul 2018, 17:54

Compared to non-profit hospitals of the same size, investor-owned

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap