Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 15:29 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 15:29

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 19 [1]
Given Kudos: 2
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V41
Send PM
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 28572 [1]
Given Kudos: 130
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 19 [0]
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 29
Send PM
Re: Complete Disaster... 680 to 660... But how on earth??? [#permalink]
Dear optimusTR,

Thanks for your post. I had my exam yesterday (06.08) and had scored pretty good on GMATprep the day before. But my verbal was unexpectedly low too (V20) and I was confident in my answers as well.
Please look at the end of my thread : am-i-following-the-right-direction-201585.html

Let`s discuss of potential reasons of such a low verbal score. In my opinion, possibly ones are :
1) They increased the significance of the first 10 questions like 2-3 times.
2) The verbal part istelf was changed in respond to OG2016 ?

What do you think ?

Thanks
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Hi Kreol,

Sorry to hear that but kinda glad to know I'm not alone.

I did not check OG16, mostly solved OG15 questions, so I can't comment on OG16. However, my performance on OG15 questions was pretty good as well.

But I can say that I felt the same as you did about the first quarter of questions. Especially the first two questions, which were SC. Normally I would expect 300-500 or 500-600 level on the first question but I can assure you it was 700-800 level. Following the second half of the section, the quesions became easier but I was not sure whether they were tricky or they were plain easy. Hence, it was painful to learn that it was the latter and it became an unbelieveable shock for me.

I don't know you but as I said I was self-studying, and I think I need a booster program from one of the prep firms. I am gonna decide between Magoosh Verbal and Empower Verbal Booster. I'm leaning towards Empower.

What do you think?
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Complete Disaster... 680 to 660... But how on earth??? [#permalink]
optimusTR wrote:
Hi Kreol,

Sorry to hear that but kinda glad to know I'm not alone.

I did not check OG16, mostly solved OG15 questions, so I can't comment on OG16. However, my performance on OG15 questions was pretty good as well.

But I can say that I felt the same as you did about the first quarter of questions. Especially the first two questions, which were SC. Normally I would expect 300-500 or 500-600 level on the first question but I can assure you it was 700-800 level. Following the second half of the section, the quesions became easier but I was not sure whether they were tricky or they were plain easy. Hence, it was painful to learn that it was the latter and it became an unbelieveable shock for me.

I don't know you but as I said I was self-studying, and I think I need a booster program from one of the prep firms. I am gonna decide between Magoosh Verbal and Empower Verbal Booster. I'm leaning towards Empower.

What do you think?

I heard that they actually stress you with 3-4 hardest questions straight at the beginning. But does that really mean that if you fail these question - you score 20 ? I highly doubt that. Well, based on what I've seen in sensitivity tests here on the forum, you destroy your verbal if you fail first 11. So should we assume that the score was that low just because of random ?
The worst case is if the GMATprep verbal is not a representative of the official one. Thus you won't be able to prepare ...

I`m leaning towards Empower too ... what do you think about Powercsope ? Or MGMAT CR/SC ?

Would you suggest smth for Quant part ? Need 51. Consider GMATprep a pretty trustful source but maybe you know smth better.

Thanks !
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Kreol wrote:

I heard that they actually stress you with 3-4 hardest questions straight at the beginning. But does that really mean that if you fail these question - you score 20 ?
I highly doubt that. Well, based on what I've seen in sensitivity tests here on the forum, you destroy your verbal if you fail first 11. So should we assume that the score
was that low just because of random ?
The worst case is if the GMATprep verbal is not a representative of the official one. Thus you won't be able to prepare ...
I`m leaning towards Empower too ... what do you think about Powercsope ? Or MGMAT CR/SC ?

Would you suggest smth for Quant part ? Need 51. Consider GMATprep a pretty trustful source but maybe you know smth better.

Thanks !

Well, I thought that GMATprep is not representative as well since my latest score was V40. However, most people agree that it is representative, so we are the exceptions I guess.

I am struggling to put all of what we had experienced into perspective. Perhaps what we lacked was stress management. Mike's post (2nd post in this topic) has a link about that issue, I will check if the proposed techniques work.

Sorry I don't know much about Powerscope. MGMAT has quite good resources, both for V and Q. So combining these resources with the tactics from a different prep comp. made sense for me.

I consistently get 50Q (about 87-89 p.tile), so I did not even bother much to study quant; I only solved CATs. I will try to get some tactics to move it over 90 p.tile.
For quant, AFAIK, people advise Magoosh and some guy from the forum. But I would not bother myself w/ trying to improve Q from 50 to 51, instead I would train more Verbal stuff.
Over 90 p.tile is more than enough I reckon.

And for the final part, I guess tactics is everything in this kind of an exam. We should master Verbal as we do Quant, have the same level of confidence. Of course w/ the help of proper tactics.

Cheers!
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Thanks for you suggestions !

optimusTR wrote:
However, most people agree that it is representative, so we are the exceptions I guess.

Since MOST agree with that then it should actually be representative >> we know the material for V40 (in your case) >> there were some externalies during the exam ...
Am I wrong ?
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Kreol wrote:

optimusTR wrote:
However, most people agree that it is representative, so we are the exceptions I guess.

Since MOST agree with that then it should actually be representative >> we know the material for V40 (in your case) >>
there were some externalies during the exam ...
Am I wrong ?

I think you are right. What I am not sure about is what part of those externalities resulted from me (stress etc.), what part of them
resulted from the exam itself (unorthodox difficulty at the starting questions etc.) ?!

Something's wrong for sure, but what?
Intern
Intern
Send PM
optimusTR wrote:
Kreol wrote:

optimusTR wrote:

Since MOST agree with that then it should actually be representative >> we know the material for V40 (in your case) >>
there were some externalies during the exam ...
Am I wrong ?

I think you are right. What I am not sure about is what part of those externalities resulted from me (stress etc.), what part of them
resulted from the exam itself (unorthodox difficulty at the starting questions etc.) ?!

Something's wrong for sure, but what?

Random ? Do you remember your first questions ? Types at least.
I think it would be valuable to try this combination : take GMATprep, fail 2 and 3rd question and randomly a few in the middle. And see what would happen.
Also check this thread :
710-750-gmat-q-50-v-40-how-to-do-it-the-lazy-way-202779.html
"I know this advice has been repeated a lot on other posts, but take your time through OG, UNDERSTAND what was wrong with each answer choice. Once you got 90% of OG right you should score 730 + in term of SC."
I score about 80-85% at SC in OG.
However, if such a low score is "not our fault" but just an outlier, we can`t be sure that it won`t happen again.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Kreol wrote:
I think it would be valuable to try this combination : take GMATprep, fail 2 and 3rd question and randomly a few in the middle. And see what would happen.
Also check this thread :
"I know this advice has been repeated a lot on other posts, but take your time through OG, UNDERSTAND what was wrong with each answer choice. Once you got 90% of OG right you should score 730 + in term of SC."
However, if such a low score is "not our fault" but just an outlier, we can`t be sure that it won`t happen again.

Thanks for the advice!

I agree we can never be sure about that.

One of my core problems I reckon is that I did not use error log, which I definitely will use this time. And as you quoted from another post, I will read all problem
solutions of OG in detail. And as I said, we have to be sure if we had stress management issues and deal with it.

Speaking of the first exam questions, I don't remember them in detail. But I remember the first one was a complete sentence underlined and I was not sure about my reply.
The second one was tough as well, but again I can't recall the details. Do you remember yours?
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 3626 [0]
Given Kudos: 816
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V44
GPA: 3.7
WE:Engineering (Aerospace and Defense)
Send PM
Kreol wrote:

Also check this thread :

optimusTR, Kreol, I am sorry to hear about your GMAT attempts. Nothing is lost and you can definitely improve on Verbal by following proper strategies . Start by going through the links provided by mikemcgarry above. Additionally, order GMAT Enhanced Score Report from https://www.mba.com/global/store/store-c ... eport.aspx to see exactly what section(s) did you falter on. I know there is 25$ price for this and that the information could have been more but this IMO is the best place to start analysing where did you falter. Also, start being more active on GMATCLUB by replying to various questions posted, reading success stories of retakers etc.

All the best.

NB: Please refrain from discussing actual live GMAT questions (you can talk about the type etc but no details of the same) as doing so is against GMAC's and GMATCLUB's policies.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Engr2012 wrote:

optimusTR, Kreol, I am sorry to hear about your GMAT attempts. Nothing is lost and you can definitely improve on Verbal by following proper strategies . Start by going through the links provided by mikemcgarry above. Additionally, order GMAT Enhanced Score Report from https://www.mba.com/global/store/store-c ... eport.aspx to see exactly what section(s) did you falter on. I know there is 25$ price for this and that the information could have been more but this IMO is the best place to start analysing where did you falter. Also, start being more active on GMATCLUB by replying to various questions posted, reading success stories of retakers etc.

All the best.

NB: Please refrain from discussing actual live GMAT questions (you can talk about the type etc but no details of the same) as doing so is against GMAC's and GMATCLUB's policies.

Thank you Engr2012!

Unfortunately I canceled my score, so I don't have a chance to order an Enhanced Score Report I guess. I hope keeping Error log will compensate it. I will be more active on the forums for sure, I was supposed to do all along.

Thanks for the warning as well ;)

Cheers!
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 3626 [0]
Given Kudos: 816
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V44
GPA: 3.7
WE:Engineering (Aerospace and Defense)
Send PM
optimusTR wrote:
Engr2012 wrote:

All the best.

Thank you Engr2012!

Unfortunately I canceled my score, so I don't have a chance to order an Enhanced Score Report I guess. I hope keeping Error log will compensate it. I will be more active on the forums for sure, I was supposed to do all along.

Thanks for the warning as well ;)

Cheers!

You can still order your Esr even for cancelled score. Look here: https://www.mba.com/global/frequently-as ... #question5

ESR can be generated for user cancelled scored. So take a look at ordering it and stay active on GMATCLUB.

All the best.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Send PM
Hardly a disaster. Many people have scored even 100 points below their first score on their second attempt. Try rebounding from that? 20 points is nothing. You'll be fine.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Fielding wrote:
Hardly a disaster. Many people have scored even 100 points below their first score on their second attempt. Try rebounding from that? 20 points is nothing. You'll be fine.

I don't know. Relativity is the king :)

The drop in points may not be a disaster compared to some others but consistently getting 35-40V on practices and then looking at the score report on the monitor that shows 28V was a disaster on its own.

I hope I'll be fine.

Thanks BTW.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Founder
37310 posts