GMAT Question of the Day: Daily via email | Daily via Instagram New to GMAT Club? Watch this Video

It is currently 13 Jul 2020, 16:37

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Completed First Diagnostic Exam; Aiming for 740+ in 3 months

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Find Similar Topics 
Intern
Intern
B
Completed First Diagnostic Exam; Aiming for 740+ in 3 months  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 03 Jun 2020, 03:47
Hi everyone,

I hope all is well. I am a Big 4 CPA in Assurance hoping to attend business school in acouple years from now and taking the GMAT now to not worry about it later. My goal is to attend schools such as Booth, Kellogg, Tuck, etc., so I feel aiming for 740+ is a reasonable stretch to solidify my profile.

On the first diagnostic exam on mba,com, I scored a 700 (V40, Q45). I have some clear room for improvement on the Quant side, and I feel like I got pretty lucky on Verbal.

I plan on studying 15~ hours a week (2~ hours on weekdays; 5 hours on weekends) for 3 months with the goal of sitting for the exam in August/September.

I have the following resources I was going to work through:

1. Manhattan Prep - Complete GMAT Strategy Guide Set (6th Edition)
2. Manhattan Prep - Foundations of Verbal and Foundations of Math (5th Edition)
3. GMAC - The Official Guide for GMAT (Review 2016)

I will follow the format presented in the sticky threads in this forum (1 quant heavy month, 1 verbal heavy month, then bring it all together for the last month).

Some questions:
1. Should I be concerned about slightly dated study resources? Unfortunately, I bought these last year when I planned to study, but life happened and plans for delayed.
2. Are there any other resources I should look into?
3. Does this seem like a reasonable approach to score a 740+?
4. Any other advice?

I appreciate it, everyone.
e-GMAT Representative
P
Re: Completed First Diagnostic Exam; Aiming for 740+ in 3 months  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 03 Jun 2020, 04:02
Hi JordanDF

Thanks for reaching out on the forum, it feels good to see you coming out and asking for advice.

Looking at your scores, I can say that you need significant improvement in Quant.

Majority of students falter in their GMAT exam because they start their preparation with OG.

This is a major mistake because if you start your preparation by solving OG questions, you are skipping to practicing questions without learning the concepts. This is a trial-and-error based preparation methodology which cause a two-fold problem:

1. It increases your preparation time by up-to 5X.
    2. You tend to miss out on concepts even after solving many questions.

We have helped more than 25,000 people in last 1 year in achieving their target of a good GMAT score. Maximum people attributed their success to the structured process which we suggested them. I suggest you break your preparation into 3 stages and follow the below plan:

Stage – 1 --> Learn the concepts
    Stage – 2 --> Cement the concepts by practicing a sub-section in Isolation
    Stage – 3 --> Become test ready (practicing all the sub-sections together)

If you follow the above approach you can expect your preparation to get over in a timeline of 2-3 months with 18 hours of preparation time per week.

You can also analyse your ability topic-wise and skip stages if you are good in a topic, this will expedite your preparation even further.

I would be happy to explain this Strategy in detail and create personalized milestones for you on a quick call. Please select a time slot that works here.

Hope the above strategy get you to your target score

Karan

e-GMAT strategy Expert
V
GMAT 1: 460 Q42 V13
GPA: 3.6

Show Tags

New post 06 Jun 2020, 07:09
JordanDF wrote:
Hi everyone,

I hope all is well. I am a Big 4 CPA in Assurance hoping to attend business school in acouple years from now and taking the GMAT now to not worry about it later. My goal is to attend schools such as Booth, Kellogg, Tuck, etc., so I feel aiming for 740+ is a reasonable stretch to solidify my profile.

On the first diagnostic exam on mba,com, I scored a 700 (V40, Q45). I have some clear room for improvement on the Quant side, and I feel like I got pretty lucky on Verbal.

I plan on studying 15~ hours a week (2~ hours on weekdays; 5 hours on weekends) for 3 months with the goal of sitting for the exam in August/September.

I have the following resources I was going to work through:

1. Manhattan Prep - Complete GMAT Strategy Guide Set (6th Edition)
2. Manhattan Prep - Foundations of Verbal and Foundations of Math (5th Edition)
3. GMAC - The Official Guide for GMAT (Review 2016)

I will follow the format presented in the sticky threads in this forum (1 quant heavy month, 1 verbal heavy month, then bring it all together for the last month).

Some questions:
1. Should I be concerned about slightly dated study resources? Unfortunately, I bought these last year when I planned to study, but life happened and plans for delayed.
2. Are there any other resources I should look into?
3. Does this seem like a reasonable approach to score a 740+?
4. Any other advice?

I appreciate it, everyone.

Congrats on your diagnosis score of 700. You still have a huge scope to in improve score in Quant. All the best for your GMAT preparation.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
D
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
GRE 1: Q169 V168

Show Tags

New post 08 Jun 2020, 00:32
It is very likely that you have good understanding of Quant concepts already. Your relatively low Quant score might be due to your unfamiliarity with Data Sufficiency format and / or a few particularly tough topics.

I recommend that you take the time to review all the questions you got wrong and guessed to have a better idea on your weakness. Then, you should be able to formulate an efficient study plan to improve your Quant score.

(You can also improve your Verbal score. Among SC, RC, and CR, which is your weakest area? After you figure it out, tackle this area every day, while covering other areas with less frequency.)

Good luck!
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Completed First Diagnostic Exam; Aiming for 740+ in 3 months   [#permalink] 08 Jun 2020, 00:32

Completed First Diagnostic Exam; Aiming for 740+ in 3 months

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics