Summer is Coming! Join the Game of Timers Competition to Win Epic Prizes. Registration is Open. Game starts Mon July 1st.

It is currently 18 Jul 2019, 23:04

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

As well as a conduit for the vital distribution of oxygen and- SC

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Find Similar Topics 
Intern
Intern
GMAT ToolKit User
As well as a conduit for the vital distribution of oxygen and- SC  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 14 Jul 2016, 06:03
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

35% (medium)

Question Stats:

68% (01:29) correct 32% (01:35) wrong based on 253 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

As well as a conduit for the vital distribution of oxygen and hydrogen molecules across the planet, the Earth’s oceans provides an effective buffer against much of the Sun’s harmful radiation.

a. As well as a conduit for the vital distribution of oxygen and hydrogen molecules across the planet, the Earth’s oceans provide an effective buffer
b. Besides a conduit for vital distribution of oxygen and hydrogen molecules across the planet, also the Earth’s oceans provide an effective buffer
c. Besides a conduit for the vital distribution of oxygen and hydrogen molecules across the planet, the Earth’s oceans also provide an effective buffering
d. The Earth’s oceans provide not only a conduit for the vital distribution of oxygen and hydrogen molecules across the planet, but also an effective buffer
e. The Earth’s oceans not only provide a medium for the vital distribution of oxygen and hydrogen molecules across the planet but also an effective buffer

I Chose the OA only but, I couldn't also find anything wrong with C, Just that the usage of "also" seems unnecessary. Please help!!

Originally posted by ROHIT5073 on 08 Aug 2015, 10:51.
Last edited by JarvisR on 14 Jul 2016, 06:03, edited 1 time in total.
Formatted the Q
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
B
GMAT 1: 690 Q45 V39
WE: General Management (Energy and Utilities)
Reviews Badge
Re: As well as a conduit for the vital distribution of oxygen and- SC  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 08 Aug 2015, 11:19
ROHIT5073 wrote:
As well as a conduit for the vital distribution of oxygen and hydrogen molecules across the planet, the Earth’s oceans provides an effective buffer against much of the Sun’s harmful radiation.

a. As well as a conduit for the vital distribution of oxygen and hydrogen molecules across the planet, the Earth’s oceans provide an effective buffer
b. Besides a conduit for vital distribution of oxygen and hydrogen molecules across the planet, also the Earth’s oceans provide an effective buffer
c. Besides a conduit for the vital distribution of oxygen and hydrogen molecules across the planet, the Earth’s oceans also provide an effective buffering
d. The Earth’s oceans provide not only a conduit for the vital distribution of oxygen and hydrogen molecules across the planet, but also an effective buffer
e. The Earth’s oceans not only provide a medium for the vital distribution of oxygen and hydrogen molecules across the planet but also an effective buffer

I Chose the OA only but, I couldn't also find anything wrong with C, Just that the usage of "also" seems unnecessary. Please help!!

C has a meaning and usage issue.

If C were to be correct, it should be worded as:
Besides providing a conduit for the vital distribution of oxygen and hydrogen molecules across the planet, the Earth’s oceans also provide an effective buffering against much of the Sun’s harmful radiation.
I think even " being " will make sense.

Besides is used as preposition and must be followed by a noun or a noun phrase. In that respect C is correct but meaning wise it is wrong because the prepositional modifier does not clearly modifies the Earth's oceans.

What is the OE?

I hated every minute of training, but I said, 'Don't quit. Suffer now and live the rest of your life as a champion.-Mohammad Ali
Manager
Manager
Re: As well as a conduit for the vital distribution of oxygen and- SC  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 11 Sep 2015, 08:11
can we eliminate option C as it uses buffering? is "provide an effective buffer" needed?
Retired Moderator
V
WE: Education (Education)

Show Tags

New post 11 Sep 2015, 09:10
a. As well as a conduit for the vital distribution of oxygen and hydrogen molecules across the planet, the Earth’s oceans provide an effective buffer --- ---The preposition ‘as well as’ has to be to be followed by a gerund such as providing, if an action is required to be stated after the ‘as well as’; the gerund is missing in the choice.

b. Besides a conduit for vital distribution of oxygen and hydrogen molecules across the planet, also the Earth’s oceans provide an effective buffer—'besides ---also' --- redundant

c. Besides a conduit for the vital distribution of oxygen and hydrogen molecules across the planet, the Earth’s oceans also provide an effective buffering. ------1. 'Besides ---also' --- redundant 2. Buffering is a wrong word. buffer is the correct one

d. The Earth’s oceans provide not only a conduit for the vital distribution of oxygen and hydrogen molecules across the planet, but also an effective buffer --- proper correlative parallelism of ‘not only – but also’ maintained. Correct choice

e. The Earth’s oceans not only provide a medium for the vital distribution of oxygen and hydrogen molecules across the planet but also an effective buffer -- ‘not only provide – but also an effective’ -- not parallel
Concentration: Technology, General Management
Schools: ISB '18
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 19 Nov 2015, 04:57
I agreed with the explanation of C ; but in D the usage of comma before but isnt that unnecessary ;

A comma should be placed before the word " but " only if but is at the beginning of an independent clause. IN d this is not the case ; Does that make D wrong or the what i believe is the usage of comma for but wrong.
P

Show Tags

New post 24 Dec 2018, 22:36
D is best choice choice
As per intent of sentence , The earth oceans provide 2 things - Oxygen and hydrogen molecules + Buffer against radiation
D summarize the same very well
Re: As well as a conduit for the vital distribution of oxygen and- SC   [#permalink] 24 Dec 2018, 22:36

As well as a conduit for the vital distribution of oxygen and- SC

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics