GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 19 Aug 2018, 16:42

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Confused about the future....

  new topic post reply Update application status  

What program would you select in my situation?

  • 50% [46]
  • 23% [21]
  • 26% [24]
Author Message
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Current Student
avatar
Joined: 26 Mar 2008
Posts: 114
Re: Confused about the future....  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 05 Feb 2009, 12:12
They are asking for $1500, which is no chump change in my book.

It's a little annoying, especially since I've known about Wharton since December, and won't have to respond to their offer until early May, months after knowing about my financial aid status.

Is this typical of Columbia to pressure their admits into a very quick decision?


bostonsparky wrote:
I agree with isa's post 100%.

If its any comparison, for undergrad I chose a 'top 50' school that offered me a 25K/year scholarship over a couple other top 25(NYU being one) options that I would have had to pay significantly more for. Though I ended up getting a decent job after graduation anyway, the 'what if' factor is definitely still present, especially as I am trying to compete with students who went to these top institutions in my Bschool applications.

As a result, I am definitely 100% in for Wharton if I get in off the WL (I also have worked in latin america for the past 2 years and am interested in future LA-related work), aid or no aid. I got offered some pretty good $$ from Duke, but it's still hard for me to see myself picking it over Kellogg or Columbia if I get into either of those.

BTW, that's pretty strong for Columbia to want a deposit by March 2. How much is the required deposit if you don't mind me asking?
SVP
SVP
User avatar
Status: Burning mid-night oil....daily
Joined: 07 Nov 2008
Posts: 2399
Schools: Yale SOM 2011 Alum, Kellogg, Booth, Tuck
WE 1: IB - Restructuring & Distressed M&A
Reviews Badge
Re: Confused about the future....  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 05 Feb 2009, 12:12
refurb wrote:
Exactly, one could argue that if you wanted to stay in NYC, you might have better career prospects if you went to NYU!


The point was - IF NYC schools are indeed having trouble with recruiting, - NYU will be too risky.

post566916.html#p566916
_________________

GMAT Club Premium Membership - big benefits and savings

Director
Director
User avatar
Joined: 10 Jun 2006
Posts: 623
Re: Confused about the future....  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 05 Feb 2009, 12:18
1
If it were me I would go to Wharton and not think twice about it (unless I really hated every single person I met on campus during my visit)
SVP
SVP
User avatar
Status: Burning mid-night oil....daily
Joined: 07 Nov 2008
Posts: 2399
Schools: Yale SOM 2011 Alum, Kellogg, Booth, Tuck
WE 1: IB - Restructuring & Distressed M&A
Reviews Badge
Re: Confused about the future....  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 05 Feb 2009, 12:22
IHateTheGMAT wrote:
If it were me I would go to Wharton and not think twice about it (unless I really hated every single person I met on campus during my visit)


I WAS WAITING FOR YOU TO CHIME IN!!!! finally....

( :cry: It was tough battle - look how much research I had to do....)
_________________

GMAT Club Premium Membership - big benefits and savings

Director
Director
User avatar
Joined: 10 Jun 2006
Posts: 623
Re: Confused about the future....  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 05 Feb 2009, 12:28
ninkorn wrote:
IHateTheGMAT wrote:
If it were me I would go to Wharton and not think twice about it (unless I really hated every single person I met on campus during my visit)


I WAS WAITING FOR YOU TO CHIME IN!!!! finally....

( :cry: It was tough battle - look how much research I had to do....)


Hahahaha. Yeah you've put in a lot of work it looks like. Happy to throw in my 1-liner of support :)
Current Student
User avatar
Joined: 21 Aug 2008
Posts: 348
Schools: Fuqua '11
Re: Confused about the future....  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 05 Feb 2009, 12:31
jjright wrote:
They are asking for $1500, which is no chump change in my book.

It's a little annoying, especially since I've known about Wharton since December, and won't have to respond to their offer until early May, months after knowing about my financial aid status.

Is this typical of Columbia to pressure their admits into a very quick decision?


Indeed it's definitely not chump change. I thought the whole point of applying RD somewhere was so that you'd have time to hear back from all the schools you applied to. So you're saying your offer of admission gets yanked if you don't pay the deposit by March 2, or just your scholarship money?

It might be worth a call to CBS asking if your response deadline can be extended a month or so (or at least until you know your financial aid standing). However I'd have to think a big reason they put that deadline in place is to guard against those who were admitted to CBS and another top school(espec Wharton) that want to wait to see how fin. aid will shake out.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
Joined: 20 Apr 2008
Posts: 316
Schools: HBS Class of 2011
Re: Confused about the future....  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 05 Feb 2009, 12:40
bostonsparky wrote:
jjright wrote:
They are asking for $1500, which is no chump change in my book.

It's a little annoying, especially since I've known about Wharton since December, and won't have to respond to their offer until early May, months after knowing about my financial aid status.

Is this typical of Columbia to pressure their admits into a very quick decision?


Indeed it's definitely not chump change. I thought the whole point of applying RD somewhere was so that you'd have time to hear back from all the schools you applied to. So you're saying your offer of admission gets yanked if you don't pay the deposit by March 2, or just your scholarship money?

It might be worth a call to CBS asking if your response deadline can be extended a month or so (or at least until you know your financial aid standing). However I'd have to think a big reason they put that deadline in place is to guard against those who were admitted to CBS and another top school(espec Wharton) that want to wait to see how fin. aid will shake out.


If you are admitted to CBS before Feb 20th then your deadline to submit a deposit is March 2nd (Feb 20th - Open House 1). If you are admitted after the first open house, I think your deadline to submit a deposit is sometime late april (a few weeks after Open House 2). The deposit is $1500.
Current Student
avatar
Joined: 26 Mar 2008
Posts: 114
Re: Confused about the future....  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 05 Feb 2009, 12:54
Its a bit odd. I assume that if you didnt give in the $1500 bucks by March 2nd, they no longer hold your spot.

If this is indeed the case (I will be meeting with a Fin. Aid rep from CBS in the next week), and they are unwilling to extend the deadline, then I'll have to respectfully decline their offer.

If they took over 6 weeks to decide about my app, I should be entitled to atleast the same amount of time to decide about their offer....
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
Joined: 05 Feb 2008
Posts: 322
Location: Texas
Re: Confused about the future....  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 05 Feb 2009, 16:54
jjright wrote:
Its a bit odd. I assume that if you didnt give in the $1500 bucks by March 2nd, they no longer hold your spot.

If this is indeed the case (I will be meeting with a Fin. Aid rep from CBS in the next week), and they are unwilling to extend the deadline, then I'll have to respectfully decline their offer.

If they took over 6 weeks to decide about my app, I should be entitled to atleast the same amount of time to decide about their offer....


Seems like you have a formulated decision in your head. Go with it.
VP
VP
User avatar
Joined: 28 Feb 2008
Posts: 1322
Schools: Tuck
Re: Confused about the future....  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 05 Feb 2009, 18:43
jjright wrote:
Its a bit odd. I assume that if you didnt give in the $1500 bucks by March 2nd, they no longer hold your spot.

If this is indeed the case (I will be meeting with a Fin. Aid rep from CBS in the next week), and they are unwilling to extend the deadline, then I'll have to respectfully decline their offer.

If they took over 6 weeks to decide about my app, I should be entitled to atleast the same amount of time to decide about their offer....


I don't blame you at all. I think it's only fair to allow everyone to hear from at least every school's R2 round.

I looked up all the schools I'm applying to and they all give me until the last week of April to decide!

You've got nothing to lose by bringing it up! Maybe you can swing an extension?

RF
_________________

GMAT Club Premium Membership - big benefits and savings

Current Student
avatar
Joined: 26 Mar 2008
Posts: 114
Re: Confused about the future....  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 06 Feb 2009, 09:49
Thank you for all of the feedback guys. Your insights have really helped me sort my feelings on the subject out. I have likely ruled NYU out, and am leaning towards accepting Wharton's offer (with or without money). The only way I could see myself accepting Columbia's is if I do receive aid from them.

Out of curiosity, does anyone know what happens if you receive an external fellowship, sometime in the summer? Can you use the funds to replace some of the loans that you were going to take, or does the school take back any need-based grants, since you have "less of a need"?
VP
VP
avatar
Joined: 11 Dec 2006
Posts: 1429
Location: New York, NY
Schools: NYU Stern 2009
Re: Confused about the future....  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 06 Feb 2009, 14:06
ninkorn wrote:
$130K? A chance to speak with Warren Buffet? People pay more than that to his charity to have lunch with him every yr!

:-D I think I proved my point....(patting myself on the back)


Well, NYU has a trip to Omaha to meet with Buffet each year (I am pretty confident Columbia will as well). Just to balance the facts on this. I don't think the opportunities are that much different - it is more about where you are most comfortable and able to excel. That isn't necessarily going to be Wharton, as much as it isn't necessarily going to be Stern or HBS or wherever. Money can be useful if it makes the situation easier for you to relax and take opportunities, but you have to weigh how important it is to you yourself. You only get one shot at an MBA, and the $100k should be a drop in the ocean in a lot of ways.

As it sounds, you seem more comfortable at Columbia (I am not surprised you strongly affiliate with one over the other - it is very common for the NYC schools). Check out Wharton and pick between the two. Good luck.
_________________

GMAT Club Premium Membership - big benefits and savings

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 03 Jun 2008
Posts: 18
Schools: Ross (accepted), Booth (waitlist), McCombs (withdrawn)
Re: Confused about the future....  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 06 Feb 2009, 17:52
If I was in your position (man, I envy you!), I'd go with Wharton.

yes, the money is tough to pass up, but especially since your future interests lie in Latin America, I think the Wharton brand name carries much more weight than NYU.

NYU is well known and well respected within the Western world, but I'm not sure how far the NYU name alone will carry you in Latin America.

Either way, you really can't make a wrong decision. Instead of dwelling on it, see which school "feels right", and go with it.

- jealous of jjright
Joined: 31 Dec 1969
Location: Russian Federation
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, International Business
GMAT 3: 740 Q40 V50
GMAT 4: 700 Q48 V38
GMAT 5: 710 Q45 V41
GMAT 6: 680 Q47 V36
GMAT 9: 740 Q49 V42
GMAT 11: 500 Q47 V33
GMAT 14: 760 Q49 V44
WE: Supply Chain Management (Energy and Utilities)
Re: Confused about the future....  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 06 Feb 2009, 18:28
I'd go with Wharton as well - but this is based on my naive opinion since I haven't been to any of your choice schools.

But if you've already ruled out Stern - which school do you like the most, Columbia or Wharton? Go where you feel the most comfortable in regards to fit, because you will most likely make the best out of the experience there. Both are great schools, Wharton obviously has the stronger brand being in the top 3, so I lean more towards that school - but if you LOVE Columbia (or Stern from that matter) for reasons I'm not aware of, don't shadow those schools because of Wharton's brand name.

Another campus visit or contacting current students would be a good idea to help you decide.
Re: Confused about the future.... &nbs [#permalink] 06 Feb 2009, 18:28

Go to page   Previous    1   2   [ 34 posts ] 

Display posts from previous: Sort by

Confused about the future....

  new topic post reply Update application status  

Events & Promotions

PREV
NEXT


GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group | Emoji artwork provided by EmojiOne

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.