Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 22:14 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 22:14

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 16 [0]
Given Kudos: 43
Concentration: Technology, Strategy
GMAT 1: 690 Q46 V38
GPA: 4
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 2103 [7]
Given Kudos: 77
Send PM
General Discussion
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 4559 [2]
Given Kudos: 128
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 16 [0]
Send PM
Re: Confused by the different usage of semicolon for a similar statement [#permalink]
Akela wrote:
Hi 55555Raj,

"This" in the first sentence is ambiguous because "this" can refer to the room and/or the pen.

The semicolon (;) connects two closely related statements. Each statement must be able to stand alone as an independent sentence. It is fine to use the pronoun in the second part.
The second sentence misses the verb in "its size as large as a continent." Are you sure you that part is correct?

Thank you Akela, yes the 2nd statement is correct according to e-gmat. I made a note of the sentence weeks back though, so can't exactly point out where from e-gmat.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 16 [1]
Send PM
Re: Confused by the different usage of semicolon for a similar statement [#permalink]
Kudos
CAMANISHPARMAR wrote:
I agree with the point made by Akela

"this" in statement 1 is ambiguous

You may like to go through the following:-

GMAT Sentence Correction: Semicolons [Source: Kaplan]

There are two absolutely central and simple rules for the use of the semicolon (“;”), and learning these will improve both your Sentence Correction skills and your writing in general — remember, in addition to getting lots of questions right on the GMAT, you will need to write actual sentences on your AWA, in your personal statement, and in your MBA classes! The rules for the use of the semicolon are:

1) When writing a list of things, and those listed things have commas themselves, separate the items in the list with semicolons.

Semicolons and Lists

The first is the simpler of the two. According to the first rule, the semicolon acts as a kind of “meta-comma,” a bigger divider separating the other dividers properly so that the reader can make sense of a list:

“Erika loves to travel and has visited many places: Iona, Scotland, Seattle, Washington, Beijing, China, and Calgary, Alberta.”

A less careful reader might think she’s visited eight different places rather than four; a careful reader will get it right, but may well become frustrated with the author. A semicolon makes it clearer:

“Erika loves to travel, and has visited many places: Iona, Scotland; Seattle, Washington; Beijing, China; and Calgary, Alberta.”

You might also see commas setting off modifying phrases within a list:

“Henrik couldn’t stand to eat certain foods: sushi, which made him jealous of people who lived near the sea; anything that came from sheep, such as lamb and mutton; and peaches, because the fuzz gave him the chills.”

It’s not important to remember any of the different reasons you might have commas within your list, though, as long as you remember to separate your list items (when you do have commas within them) with the “meta-comma,” the semicolon.

2) When joining two related independent clauses (“complete sentences”) into a single sentence, place a semicolon between them.

The second of the two semicolon uses requires a definition: the clause. In grammatical terms, a clause has a subject and a verb. Clauses are either independent or dependent; independent clauses can stand on their own as complete sentences ( . . . which is why they’re labeled “independent”), while dependent clauses cannot.

Hope it helps you!!

All the best!!

This is very useful, thank you!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 81 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
GMAT 1: 760 Q51 V41
Send PM
dragonborn wrote:
1) While cleaning the room, I found a pen; this belonged to Joe. (incorrect)

2) King George is the ruler of the largest empire; its size as large as a continent. (correct)

After going through the details, I found that statement 1 is incorrect since "this" is ambigous, however statement 2 is considered correct.
Could someone shed some light please?

Hi dragonborn

I am guessing that you did not find anything wrong with the use of 'this' in the first statement. The thing is that 'this' is not clear enough to demonstrate what it refers to.
Thats why 'this' is always suppose to follow what it refers to.

The correct version of the first sentence could look something like this:
-While cleaning the room, I found a pen; this pen belonged to Joe.
-While cleaning the room, I found a pen; this room belonged to Joe.

I would like to confess that I myself could not pick this issue while solving Sentence Correction questions.
It changed when I subscribed to e-GMAT's verbal course. The concept tested here was also tested in Scholaranium plural number of times.

Pls feel free to let me know if this was helpful.
All the best. :)
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6920 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
GRE Forum Moderator
13958 posts