GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 22 Sep 2018, 20:08

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Consistent application of rules by an administration, even if deciding

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Retired Moderator
Concentration: Economics, Finance
Schools: LBS MIF '19
WE: Asset Management (Investment Banking)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Consistent application of rules by an administration, even if deciding  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 06 Jun 2015, 07:46
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

45% (medium)

Question Stats:

62% (01:43) correct 38% (01:45) wrong based on 233 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Consistent application of rules by an administration, even if deciding on a case-by-case basis could lead to a preferred solution, guarantees exemption from accusations of impartiality as are likely to arise.

A. Consistent application of rules by an administration, even if deciding on a case-by-case basis could lead to a preferred solution, guarantees exemption from accusations of impartiality as are likely to arise

B. An administration that consistently applies rules, even if deciding on a case-by-case basis could lead to a preferred solution, guaranteed it will be exempt from accusations of impartiality that are bound to arise

C. Consistent application of rules, even when deciding on a case-by-case basis could lead to a preferred solution, guarantees that an administration will be exempt from accusations of impartiality that are bound to arise

D. An administration's consistent application of rules is guaranteed to exempt it from accusations of impartiality as are bound to arise, even if it could lead to a preferable solution to decide on a case-by-case basis

E. Preferable than solutions based on case-by-case decisions, rules that are consistently applied by an administration are guaranteed to exempt it from accusations of impartiality that are bound to arise

AC C:
This answer choice corrects the original grammatical mistake by using the relative pronoun that (accusations of impartiality that are bound to arise) instead of as. The conjunction "as" should always be followed by a clause! But there is no subject after "as". Clauses that lack a subject are usually relative clauses.

Saving was yesterday, heat up the gmatclub.forum's sentiment by spending KUDOS!

PS Please send me PM if I do not respond to your question within 24 hours.

Current Student
GMAT 1: 610 Q49 V25
GMAT 2: 730 Q50 V40
Re: Consistent application of rules by an administration, even if deciding  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 07 Jun 2015, 22:46
A. Consistent application of rules by an administration, even if deciding on a case-by-case basis could lead to a preferred solution, guarantees exemption from accusations of impartiality as are likely to arise
"even if deciding" cannot modify "administration". It should modify "rules".

B. An administration that consistently applies rules, even if deciding on a case-by-case basis could lead to a preferred solution, guaranteed it will be exempt from accusations of impartiality that are bound to arise
"guaranteed" is not a verb, hence the sentence is just a fragment.

C. Consistent application of rules, even when deciding on a case-by-case basis could lead to a preferred solution, guarantees that an administration will be exempt from accusations of impartiality that are bound to arise
1) "even when deciding" correctly modifies "rules"
2) "guarantees" acts a singular verb for this sentence.

D. An administration's consistent application of rules is guaranteed to exempt it from accusations of impartiality as are bound to arise, even if it could lead to a preferable solution to decide on a case-by-case basis
"it" has no referent. Logically it should refer to "administration" but we have "administration's" and hence "it" is not correct.

E. Preferable than solutions based on case-by-case decisions, rules that are consistently applied by an administration are guaranteed to exempt it from accusations of impartiality that are bound to arise
Opening modifier "preferable.." seems to modify "rules". Incorrect.

Please consider giving Kudos if you like my explanation :)

Current Student
GMAT 1: 770 Q51 V44
GPA: 2.3
Re: Consistent application of rules by an administration, even if deciding  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 09 Sep 2015, 12:09
I picked C because the other options have clear errors.

A: Consistent application of rules by an administration, even if deciding on a case-by-case basis could lead to a preferred solution, guarantees exemption from accusations of impartiality as are likely to arise
One word off. "That" instead of "as" corrects this.

B: An administration that consistently applies rules, even if deciding on a case-by-case basis could lead to a preferred solution, guaranteed it will be exempt from accusations of impartiality that are bound to arise
Two words off. "Guarantees that" instead of "guaranteed" corrects this.

D: An administration's consistent application of rules is guaranteed to exempt it from accusations of impartiality as are bound to arise, even if it could lead to a preferable solution to decide on a case-by-case basis

Many issues here.

The "it" in "to exempt it" is incorrect. The logical meaning of it refers to the administration, however the subject here is application, which cannot logically be referred to by the pronoun "it" in this case.

The second issue is "accusations of impartiality as are bound to arise". This is bad.

Lastly, what is the "it" in "even if it could lead to a preferable solution to decide on a case-by-case basis" referring to?

E: Preferable than solutions based on case-by-case decisions, rules that are consistently applied by an administration are guaranteed to exempt it from accusations of impartiality that are bound to arise

"Preferable than solutions" is incorrect. "More preferable than solutions" is the correct way to express this. Also, what is the opening dependent clause supposed to logically modify? To me, it would seem to be "rules that are consistently applied by an administration".

The meaning is that "Rules that are consistently applied by an administration is (is "is" the correct here? or "are"?) more perferable than solutions based on a case-by-case decisions."
Non-Human User
Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 03 Jul 2018, 23:34
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.

-
April 2018: New Forum dedicated to Verbal Strategies, Guides, and Resources

GMAT Club Bot
Re: Consistent application of rules by an administration, even if deciding &nbs [#permalink] 03 Jul 2018, 23:34

Consistent application of rules by an administration, even if deciding

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Events & Promotions

PREV
NEXT

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap