Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 16:55 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 16:55

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 20 [0]
Given Kudos: 21
GPA: 2.71
Send PM
Admissionado
Own Kudos [?]: 2061 [1]
Given Kudos: 69
Schools:Brown University, Harvard Business School
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 20 [0]
Given Kudos: 21
GPA: 2.71
Send PM
Admissionado
Own Kudos [?]: 2061 [0]
Given Kudos: 69
Schools:Brown University, Harvard Business School
Send PM
Re: Conundrum - Profile eval and admission advive [#permalink]
Expert Reply
saadis87 wrote:
JonAdmissionado wrote:
saadis87 wrote:
Dear Admissionado

Firstly, Let me appreciate the job you guys are doing here. You're helping a lot of people.
Ok so I had been planning to apply for MBA sadly due to some unforseen circumstances I had to delay my MBA exam and at one point I was thinking of delaying my MBA altogeher. Fortunately things have settled down and now I am thinking of pursing applying for MBA this year - sadly a lot of deadlines have passed.

I wanted to ask is it a good idea to apply to final round of mid tier schools like Penn state, Fisher, Huston, SFU etc or should I wait for next year- There are also a lot of canadian schools that still have 2 rounds left.

Just a little bit about my self.
I had been working in a family business since I was 15, it has grown to be become a multi million manufacturing firm.
I have more than 2 years of full time work experience which involves a short job stint at a multinational.
I have strong international contacts, a post graduate degree from England and experience in public speaking, music, photography, product design and marketing.

I am planning to launch my own international brand and i NEED the techincal courses offered at an MBA for that

My undergrad was in Pakistan with a gpa of 2.72
My postgrad Msc was from the UK - I graduated with Merit (around 3.33 gpa if converted)
I had distinctions in quant and research courses.

I have given my gmat but so far my scores are around 680-720
(I'll give it next week)

Please help me out guys, i really want to know if i should apply this year or wait.

Hey dude,
Well the main questions I have are:
1. What's the rush? Meaning what are your perceived advantages and disadvantages from apply this year or next?
2. How big is your family company? What do you do? What leadership do you have?
3. What's your current workplace? What do you do?
4. What are your goals?

With only two years of experience and no GMAT, 98% chance that I will say, you should wait for R1 of next year and aim for 2016...
But get back to me with more info, and I'll do my best to advise,

Cheers,
Jon

Hi Jon
Thanks for the reply

Sorry, lemme add some more info.

1) No rush to be honest I dont mind waiting a year but I'd prefer getting back to work after an MBA as soon as possible so was wondering if I should apply this year.
Dont get met wrong I'll be done with my GMAT by thursday and Im pretty confident abt the score - in case that does mess up then yes ill delay it for sure.

2) Our organisation retails, manufactures and distributes electronics. We have a multi brand traders in electronics producing the highest amongst the highest sales volumes in the country.
We are also the sole representatives for Singapore brand in Pakistan; we are responsible for their product design, assembly, marketing and distribution.
Our organisation has close to a 100 employees based across Pakistan with a turnover in the 7 digit range (USD)

3) Currently I am a board member and a marketing manager at my company.

Like most family businesses though I am responsible for more than what my designation says, this includes marketing strategy, product design, brand communications (advertisement merchandising etc) and liasing with our suppliers in China & Singapore for procurement etc.
I have all essays in place if that helps

I have been working at my business since I was 15 years old at my family business ( I can understand most unis wont believe that), I do have more than 2 years of post grad work experience - around 2.3 years today.

In the past I have worked for a short time at Mindshare (part the largest media buying house in the world) and worked for brands like unilever, pepsi, shell etc

I also have strong volunteering experience as an office bearer at student societies, I lead teams that managed everything from concerts to seminars

4) Our organisation has grown the past couple of years alot and it overwhelming us but like most family businesses it is still run like a family business :P, I personally feel the technical skills from an MBA are vital to manage this. We plan on pursuing an aggressive expansion program by 2017 and I feel an MBA will prepare me better for it.

In the long run, I plan on working towards my own consumer electronics brand. That has been a childhood dream - the network one builds from an international course in a forieghn country is vital for that

Hey,
Thanks for the additional info. So, if you have 2.3 years of experience today, it'll give you almost 3 by application and almost 4 by matriculation which should be about fine for you if you apply R1 next year. R3 this years makes no sense at all. I'll just worsen your chances significantly.

Another positive thing I see is that you are going back to a guaranteed family business job. Your family business, although not HUGE, is big enough that it will pull weight, and if you can make convincing arguments for how you will take this business forward into the future, it can make for excellent goals.

It's too early to say where you might apply without a real GMAT score, so I'd say don't worry about that yet, and just concentrate all your energies on your GMAT.

Best,
JF
Moderator:
Admissionado
9218 posts