GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 16 Aug 2018, 22:19

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Corporate Spokesperson: There has been much ado about the lack of glob

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 02 May 2012
Posts: 71
Corporate Spokesperson: There has been much ado about the lack of glob  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 26 Nov 2014, 07:31
6
8
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

  35% (medium)

Question Stats:

67% (01:09) correct 33% (01:23) wrong based on 606 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Corporate Spokesperson: There has been much ado about the lack of global corporate responsibility, but most of the harm done was incidental: corporations were in the historically unprecedented position of having substantial wealth and reach without having any of the obligations of the traditional state. This will soon change, however, as more than 50 international corporations this year enjoyed sales in excess of the GDP of 60% of the world’s countries.

Which of the following, if true, would most weaken the spokesperson’s argument?

(A) Enjoying financial resources equal to or greater than those of the traditional sovereign state does not necessarily entail an acceptance of the obligations traditionally accepted by such a state.

(B) Corporate revenue and influence is expected to increase in the years to come.

(C) Many corporations are among the world’s top employers.

(D) Many corporations are among the world’s top polluters.

(E) Most of the 50 corporations mentioned are expected to see significant decreases in sales as a result of a recent international recession.

_________________

If you like my post Kudos Please
__________________________________________________
Support ====> http://udaanshimla.ketto.org/campaign/campaign_details.php?fmd_id=757

Most Helpful Expert Reply
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
User avatar
P
Joined: 16 Oct 2010
Posts: 8188
Location: Pune, India
Re: Corporate Spokesperson: There has been much ado about the lack of glob  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 18 May 2015, 22:01
4
2
aashu4uiit wrote:
Corporate Spokesperson: There has been much ado about the lack of global corporate responsibility, but most of the harm done was incidental: corporations were in the historically unprecedented position of having substantial wealth and reach without having any of the obligations of the traditional state. This will soon change, however, as more than 50 international corporations this year enjoyed sales in excess of the GDP of 60% of the world’s countries.

Which of the following, if true, would most weaken the spokesperson’s argument?

a) Enjoying financial resources equal to or greater than those of the traditional sovereign state does not necessarily entail an acceptance of the obligations traditionally accepted by such a state.

b) Corporate revenue and influence is expected to increase in the years to come.

c) Many corporations are among the world’s top employers.

d) Many corporations are among the world’s top polluters.

e) Most of the 50 corporations mentioned are expected to see significant decreases in sales as a result of a recent international recession.


Argument:

Global corporates have been irresponsible because they had substantial wealth and no obligations of the traditional state.
This will soon change because many corporations this year enjoyed sales in excess of the GDP of 60% of the world’s countries.

The spokesperson is implying that since the sales were in excess of GDP, the corporates will take obligations of the State. The problem is, how can we say that the corporates will be willing be accept the responsibilities of the states since their earnings increase the GDP of states. They may still choose to not take the States' obligations. This is what option (A) tells you.
a) Enjoying financial resources equal to or greater than those of the traditional sovereign state does not necessarily entail an acceptance of the obligations traditionally accepted by such a state.
The corporates may not necessarily accept the obligations accepted by the State just because they earn more than the State.

This weakens the argument of the spokesperson.

(E) Most of the 50 corporations mentioned are expected to see significant decreases in sales as a result of a recent international recession.

What is expected to happen next year is immaterial. This year, their sales were more than GDP so they are expected to take responsibility. What may happen in the future is conjecture and doesn't change the expectations from the corporation based on what has actually happened.

(A) is a much stronger answer than (E).
_________________

Karishma
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor

Save up to $1,000 on GMAT prep through 8/20! Learn more here >

GMAT self-study has never been more personalized or more fun. Try ORION Free!

General Discussion
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 11 Jan 2015
Posts: 3
GPA: 3.3
Re: Corporate Spokesperson: There has been much ado about the lack of glob  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 13 Feb 2015, 06:19
Thanks a lot for this.........

I think , in this passage .......
People think Corporation doesn't like to change the economy, means they have lack of responsibility.......

But, in the last part .........sales in excess of the GDP of 60% of the world’s countries........
So, the answer would be (A)
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 16 Dec 2012
Posts: 61
Location: India
Concentration: Marketing, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 660 Q50 V33
GMAT 2: 660 Q51 V28
GMAT 3: 740 Q49 V41
GPA: 3.55
WE: Engineering (Entertainment and Sports)
Re: Corporate Spokesperson: There has been much ado about the lack of glob  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 10 Sep 2015, 12:01
This question doesn't seem to be like the ones in GMAT. I thought in that way as assumption is too way far with the rest of the passage. Is this anywhere we studied or have seen previously - just because the corporations earn more than GDPs of 60% of world countries. If there is any hypothetical relation between sales and GDP of the state, then GDP should have been of the state's. Why did spokesperson mentioned other countries ? Question is not up to GMAT mark.
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
User avatar
P
Joined: 16 Oct 2010
Posts: 8188
Location: Pune, India
Re: Corporate Spokesperson: There has been much ado about the lack of glob  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 10 Sep 2015, 22:11
1
siliconbeach wrote:
This question doesn't seem to be like the ones in GMAT. I thought in that way as assumption is too way far with the rest of the passage. Is this anywhere we studied or have seen previously - just because the corporations earn more than GDPs of 60% of world countries. If there is any hypothetical relation between sales and GDP of the state, then GDP should have been of the state's. Why did spokesperson mentioned other countries ? Question is not up to GMAT mark.


Actually, the question is fine. CR arguments are not supposed to be perfect. There has to be scope for improvement (strengthen/weaken) or an assumption. The argument gives the author's opinion and an author's opinion may be based on facts entangled with his own assumptions. You need to identify those assumptions/gaps. It is certainly not far fetched to assume that a huge corporate with sales more than GDP of many countries should have social obligations. In fact, CSR and responsible business are in focus nowadays.
_________________

Karishma
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor

Save up to $1,000 on GMAT prep through 8/20! Learn more here >

GMAT self-study has never been more personalized or more fun. Try ORION Free!

Intern
Intern
avatar
S
Joined: 17 May 2015
Posts: 38
Premium Member
Re: Corporate Spokesperson: There has been much ado about the lack of glob  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 19 Nov 2015, 09:32
VeritasPrepKarishma wrote:
aashu4uiit wrote:
Corporate Spokesperson: There has been much ado about the lack of global corporate responsibility, but most of the harm done was incidental: corporations were in the historically unprecedented position of having substantial wealth and reach without having any of the obligations of the traditional state. This will soon change, however, as more than 50 international corporations this year enjoyed sales in excess of the GDP of 60% of the world’s countries.

Which of the following, if true, would most weaken the spokesperson’s argument?

a) Enjoying financial resources equal to or greater than those of the traditional sovereign state does not necessarily entail an acceptance of the obligations traditionally accepted by such a state.

b) Corporate revenue and influence is expected to increase in the years to come.

c) Many corporations are among the world’s top employers.

d) Many corporations are among the world’s top polluters.

e) Most of the 50 corporations mentioned are expected to see significant decreases in sales as a result of a recent international recession.


Argument:

Global corporates have been irresponsible because they had substantial wealth and no obligations of the traditional state.
This will soon change because many corporations this year enjoyed sales in excess of the GDP of 60% of the world’s countries.

The spokesperson is implying that since the sales were in excess of GDP, the corporates will take obligations of the State. The problem is, how can we say that the corporates will be willing be accept the responsibilities of the states since their earnings increase the GDP of states. They may still choose to not take the States' obligations. This is what option (A) tells you.
a) Enjoying financial resources equal to or greater than those of the traditional sovereign state does not necessarily entail an acceptance of the obligations traditionally accepted by such a state.
The corporates may not necessarily accept the obligations accepted by the State just because they earn more than the State.

This weakens the argument of the spokesperson.

(E) Most of the 50 corporations mentioned are expected to see significant decreases in sales as a result of a recent international recession.

What is expected to happen next year is immaterial. This year, their sales were more than GDP so they are expected to take responsibility. What may happen in the future is conjecture and doesn't change the expectations from the corporation based on what has actually happened.

(A) is a much stronger answer than (E).



Would this be classified as a change of scope article?
Non-Human User
User avatar
Joined: 01 Oct 2013
Posts: 2603
Premium Member
Re: Corporate Spokesperson: There has been much ado about the lack of glob  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 08 Feb 2018, 07:12
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
_________________

-
April 2018: New Forum dedicated to Verbal Strategies, Guides, and Resources

Re: Corporate Spokesperson: There has been much ado about the lack of glob &nbs [#permalink] 08 Feb 2018, 07:12
Display posts from previous: Sort by

Corporate Spokesperson: There has been much ado about the lack of glob

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Events & Promotions

PREV
NEXT


GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group | Emoji artwork provided by EmojiOne

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.