GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 24 Sep 2018, 16:27

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Could help me rate my AWA?

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Rate My Awa

You may select 1 option
Intern
Intern
B
GMAT 1: 570 Q37 V31
GPA: 2.98
Could help me rate my AWA?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 28 Apr 2018, 10:59
Hey guys,

I am finishing my GMAT preparation, and now I'm practing for the AWA and would like to have some idea of how I am performing.

As I've have read a few of the templates and tips in here, I decided to write under the 30 minutes restriction to really feel how it would be on test day.

Thanks

Argument:

“Since a competing lower-priced newspaper, The Bugle, was started five years ago, The Mercury’s circulation has declined by 10,000 readers. The best way to get more people to read The Mercury is to reduce its price below that of The Bugle, at least until circulation increases to former levels. The increased circulation of The Mercury will attract more businesses to buy advertising space in the paper.”

My response

The argument claims that the drop in the number of readers of The Mercury newspaper in the past five years has happened because of the introduction of a cheaper competing newspaper, The Bugle. This alone does not constitute a logical argument toward the decrease in readers and it does not provide support or proof to the main statement.
First, by considering the lower price of the competitor as the main reason for the decrease in the number of readers, the author disregards possible flaws from The Mercury newspaper. These flaws may include: a decrease in the quality of the articles, an indifference toward its readers (leading to a shift to other newspapers) or even a drop in interest for paper newspapers in general.
Second, the statement assumes that a decrease in The Mercury price will surely bring back the number of readers to its former levels. One cannot guarantee that solely a change in price would bring the expected results. What if the price drop is seen as a decrease in quality of the newspaper? And what if that reduction affects the total revenue even more and it does not cover the overall costs for the circulation? A price reduction without a proper strategy may bring more harm than good, specially toward reputability.
Third, the argument assumes that not only it will increase the circulation again but it will attract more businesses to buy advertising space – probably assuming the extra revenue from the advertisement will cover for the difference of revenue from the selling price. Once again the author disregards the image and quality element of the proposed reduction. Depending on the type of advertises The Mercury has, by becoming a cheaper (and more popular) newspaper, the current advertisers could decide to leave as it would not aim for the target public it has always advertised for
In conclusion, the argument ignores many relevant facts by choosing only one approach in order to regain the number of readers of The Mercury. In order to be me more convincing the argument could, for instance, show statistics that proved the migration of readers from The Mercury to The Bugle – with the maintenance of total number of newspapers’ readers as a total – or a pool among current and former readers to understand what could improve at The Mercury and what would make them remain or return as reader to the newspaper.
examPAL Representative
B
Re: Could help me rate my AWA?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 09 May 2018, 00:23
Hey njesus
I think your essay is pretty good, but could be significantly improved with a few changes.
- the opening paragraph fails to identify the heart of the argument! What you cite as the argument (the mercury's circulation dropped because of the bugle) is only the background assumption to the main argument. the argument is something like: on the basis of a correlation between the start of a competing newspaper and a drop in sales, a causal relation is assumed, and it is argued that a lower price than the competitor will solve the problem. On other words, you have to include the conclusion in the argument! An easy to test this is check that you aren't referring in the following paragraphs to anything you haven't mentioned in the opening paragraph.
You arguments are sound, especially the first two. The last one I find less convincing - while it is possible that some old advertisers may drop the mercury, it's much harder to argue that new ones won't take their place. it can't really be argued that having a larger audience is bad for advertising.

Dave Green
Senior tutor at examPAL
Signup for a free GMAT course

Intern
Intern
B
GMAT 1: 570 Q37 V31
GPA: 2.98
Re: Could help me rate my AWA?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 05 Jul 2018, 13:19
Thanks for the advice, Dave.

I got a 5 on my actual Gmat. :)
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Could help me rate my AWA? &nbs [#permalink] 05 Jul 2018, 13:19

Could help me rate my AWA?

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Events & Promotions

PREV
NEXT

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap