It is currently 19 Oct 2017, 18:53

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Could you please evaluate my profile?

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 8

Could you please evaluate my profile? [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 23 Aug 2017, 01:44
Hi,

Below mentioned are a few details about me that i would request you to evaluate:
GMAT: 700 Q47 V38 AWA 4.5 IR 4

Work Experience: 38 months
Working at EY in the risk advisory practice focusing on cyber security. Client facing role with extensive travelling within India and Africa. Have implemented numerous solutions around business resilience and information security for major Indian organizations through thorough review and analysis of the organization's policies, procedures and processes. Promoted every year (Analyst 1 - Analyst 2 - Associate Consultant). Expected promotion again to Consultant one year before the usual promotion period. Received awards for exceptional client service and living EY values. International exposure of maximum 5 months (in Ghana and Uganda). Since becoming an Associate Consultant i have had the opportunity to lead small teams and directly face the clients, understand their expectations and deliver the desired results. I can elaborate on my role even more if required.
Interesting thing about my work experience: This is my first and only job. I joined right after my graduation and my first project was in Ghana. I was very excited at first, but when i had spent a month there i got robbed from my hotel room. :| That was a life changing event because it shook me to my core and made realise the harsh reality of the real world wherein i had to deal with this robbery, deal with living at the same place for another month and conclude the project within the timelines even though my resources (phone, wallet and official laptop) was stolen. Ironically the project was about business resilience, and I had to exercise the resiliency controls I had put in place for myself if i were in such a situation. :P

Education: B. Tech in Electronics and Communications from a non-IIT college.
CGPA : 6.87/10 (Have not calculated on 4 scale)

School education is near perfect and at reputable Indian schools. I understand that my GPA might be a little low.

Extra curric:
Former state level swimmer
Junior diploma in Tabla (indian musical instrument). Performed on stage multiple times.
Team leader at AIESEC in Business Development (led a team of 5 people)
College soccer team member. Won many tournaments.
EY football team member
Participated in small CSR initiatives at EY.

Aim:
To become a strategy consultant. Use what i have learned at EY for something more than just cyber security. Would prefer to use the MBA as a path to the core consulting firms like Mck, Bain or BCG.
To apply at a top 10 b school in the US and INSEAD

Questions:
1. Do you think it is realistic to consider applying to those schools at this stage in time? If not, could you suggest any areas of improvement?
2. I dont really have a lot of experience when it comes to CSR activities or social work. Should i try to increase my involvement in them? I was considering applying for Teach for India, which is a 2 year fellowship program. That would mean that i'll be joining my class at the age of 28. Wouldnt that be too old when it comes to the age trends for the admits?

Thank you in advance for your evaluation. Really need some insight. :)

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 8

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
mbaMission Admissions Consultant
B

Kudos [?]: 74 [1], given: 4

Reviews Badge
Re: Could you please evaluate my profile? [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 23 Aug 2017, 18:07
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
Hi there! Thanks for reaching out.

Your work experience sounds awesome! I love the specialty in cybersecurity, that's unusual, and I imagine a pressing issue for clients. I also love the quick progression you've had, and the international exposure is excellent, especially with experience in Africa (not a lot of b-school applicants have experience doing business in Africa). That does indeed sound like a difficult experience, and an important lesson in resiliency that you could use in your essays (though you'll want to show how that impacts you today too).

Your goals are clear too and reasonable given all the client exposure you've had.

On weak areas, I think your GMAT / GPA combination is going to be tough at top schools. Both are solid, but not stellar scores. You can't change the GPA of course so focus on retaking your GMAT. I also think your extracurricular activities will be another weak area, since activities since college are given the most weight. That being said, I'm not certain that a 2 year fellowship is what you need; rather, some involvement in an NGO in your spare time, or even an alumni organization from your college. Or, even easier may be to take on a bigger role in one of the CSR initiatives at EY.

As far as timing, you're in a good spot where you could apply now and have about 4 years when you start, or you could wait another year and build up those extracurrics and improve the GMAT, and you'd still be in a great spot experience wise to apply.

Best of luck!
Kate

Santaborg wrote:
Hi,

Below mentioned are a few details about me that i would request you to evaluate:
GMAT: 700 Q47 V38 AWA 4.5 IR 4

Work Experience: 38 months
Working at EY in the risk advisory practice focusing on cyber security. Client facing role with extensive travelling within India and Africa. Have implemented numerous solutions around business resilience and information security for major Indian organizations through thorough review and analysis of the organization's policies, procedures and processes. Promoted every year (Analyst 1 - Analyst 2 - Associate Consultant). Expected promotion again to Consultant one year before the usual promotion period. Received awards for exceptional client service and living EY values. International exposure of maximum 5 months (in Ghana and Uganda). Since becoming an Associate Consultant i have had the opportunity to lead small teams and directly face the clients, understand their expectations and deliver the desired results. I can elaborate on my role even more if required.
Interesting thing about my work experience: This is my first and only job. I joined right after my graduation and my first project was in Ghana. I was very excited at first, but when i had spent a month there i got robbed from my hotel room. :| That was a life changing event because it shook me to my core and made realise the harsh reality of the real world wherein i had to deal with this robbery, deal with living at the same place for another month and conclude the project within the timelines even though my resources (phone, wallet and official laptop) was stolen. Ironically the project was about business resilience, and I had to exercise the resiliency controls I had put in place for myself if i were in such a situation. :P

Education: B. Tech in Electronics and Communications from a non-IIT college.
CGPA : 6.87/10 (Have not calculated on 4 scale)

School education is near perfect and at reputable Indian schools. I understand that my GPA might be a little low.

Extra curric:
Former state level swimmer
Junior diploma in Tabla (indian musical instrument). Performed on stage multiple times.
Team leader at AIESEC in Business Development (led a team of 5 people)
College soccer team member. Won many tournaments.
EY football team member
Participated in small CSR initiatives at EY.

Aim:
To become a strategy consultant. Use what i have learned at EY for something more than just cyber security. Would prefer to use the MBA as a path to the core consulting firms like Mck, Bain or BCG.
To apply at a top 10 b school in the US and INSEAD

Questions:
1. Do you think it is realistic to consider applying to those schools at this stage in time? If not, could you suggest any areas of improvement?
2. I dont really have a lot of experience when it comes to CSR activities or social work. Should i try to increase my involvement in them? I was considering applying for Teach for India, which is a 2 year fellowship program. That would mean that i'll be joining my class at the age of 28. Wouldnt that be too old when it comes to the age trends for the admits?

Thank you in advance for your evaluation. Really need some insight. :)

Kate Richardson
mbaMission

Blog: http://www.mbamission.com/blog
mbaMission Insiders Guides: http://www.mbamission.com/guides.php?category=insiders
Free Consultation: http://www.mbamission.com/consult.php

Kudos [?]: 74 [1], given: 4

Could you please evaluate my profile?

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap