GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 20 Oct 2019, 05:38

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Covering almost 40% of the South American continent, the Amazonian

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Find Similar Topics 
Director
Director
D
Schools: INSEAD Jan '19
GMAT 1: 200 Q1 V1
GPA: 3.82
WE: Consulting (Other)
GMAT ToolKit User
Covering almost 40% of the South American continent, the Amazonian  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 30 Sep 2018, 07:17
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

45% (medium)

Question Stats:

62% (01:38) correct 38% (01:45) wrong based on 200 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Covering almost 40% of the South American continent, the Amazonian Rainforests are vital for all the countries in the region, helping stabilize their climate, maintaining their water cycle and protecting them from flood, drought and erosion, acting as a source of medicine and food.

(A) helping stabilize their climate, maintaining their water cycle and protecting them from flood, drought and erosion, acting as a source of medicine and food
(B) helping stabilize their climate, maintaining their water cycle, protecting them from flood, drought and erosion, and acting as a source of medicine and food
(C) helping stabilize their climate, maintaining their water cycle and protecting them from flood, drought, erosion, and acting as a source of medicine and of food
(D) by stabilizing their climate, maintaining their water cycle and protecting them from flood, drought and erosion, as well as by acting as a source of medicine and food
(E) by stabilizing their climate, maintaining their water cycle and protecting them from flood, drought and from erosion, and as a source of medicine and food

There is perfect timing for
everything and everyone.
Never doubt, But Work on
improving yourself,
Keep the faith and
Stay ready. When it’s
finally your turn,
It will all make sense.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
G
GPA: 4
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Covering almost 40% of the South American continent, the Amazonian  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 30 Sep 2018, 07:23
Harshgmat wrote:
Covering almost 40% of the South American continent, the Amazonian Rainforests are vital for all the countries in the region, helping stabilize their climate, maintaining their water cycle and protecting them from flood, drought and erosion, acting as a source of medicine and food.

(A) helping stabilize their climate, maintaining their water cycle and protecting them from flood, drought and erosion, acting as a source of medicine and food
(B) helping stabilize their climate, maintaining their water cycle, protecting them from flood, drought and erosion, and acting as a source of medicine and food
(C) helping stabilize their climate, maintaining their water cycle and protecting them from flood, drought, erosion, and acting as a source of medicine and of food
(D) by stabilizing their climate, maintaining their water cycle and protecting them from flood, drought and erosion, as well as by acting as a source of medicine and food
(E) by stabilizing their climate, maintaining their water cycle and protecting them from flood, drought and from erosion, and as a source of medicine and food

+1 for B

Two lists here:
(1) Helping, maintaining, protecting and acting
(2) flood, drought and erosion

Parallelism is maintained only in B. All other options make an error by using 'and' before protecting.
P
GMAT 1: 680 Q49 V34
GPA: 3.98
Re: Covering almost 40% of the South American continent, the Amazonian  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 30 Sep 2018, 07:28
IMO B
List is parallel and verb-ing after comma rightly tells more about the preceding clause( the Amazonian Rainforests are vital for all the countries in the region).

Hope it helps.
P
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: Covering almost 40% of the South American continent, the Amazonian  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 18 Apr 2019, 11:06

Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 14 May 2019, 20:24
why is option D wrong?
it has this structure -'by...... as well as by ....'
I thought this is acceptable.
Please let me know if I am missing something.
SVP
SVP
V
Concentration: International Business, Operations
Schools: INSEAD Jan '19
GPA: 3.01
WE: Engineering (Real Estate)
Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 14 May 2019, 22:35
Adipi123 wrote:
why is option D wrong?
it has this structure -'by...... as well as by ....'
I thought this is acceptable.
Please let me know if I am missing something.

Other than the grammatical errors, choice D has a meaning error.

"Amazonian rain forests are vital by stabilizing their climate" does not make sense.
Covering almost 40% of the South American continent, the Amazonian   [#permalink] 14 May 2019, 22:35

Covering almost 40% of the South American continent, the Amazonian

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics