Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 12:36 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 12:36

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 2088 [267]
Given Kudos: 25
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 3670 [29]
Given Kudos: 8
Send PM
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64880 [28]
Given Kudos: 426
Send PM
General Discussion
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 115 [9]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Re: Recent estimates predict that between 1982 and 1995 the greatest incre [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
The question asks for the statement that CAN be supported by the passage.

Note that "greatest increase" means largest in absolute number, not largest percentage increase. We also know that the share of employees in low-paying service jobs will not increase, while the share of the high-paying service employees will rise.

A) If in 1982 there were a total of 100M emplyees and 50M worked in low-paying service jobs and 1M in high-paying service jobs, while in 1995 there were 200M employees and 100M worked in low-paying service jobs and 10M in high-paying service jobs, the absolute increase in low-paying service employees would be 100M abeit with the same share of the total epmloyees, while the absolute increase in high-paying service jobs would be only 9M, but with a tenfold increase in the share of the total eployees. If the number of low-paying workers in 1982 were lower than the number of high-paying workers, then an increase in the total share in the latter would lead to an increase in absolute terms larger than the one attributable to low-paying jobs. Right answer.

B) If it were true, it would contraddict the passage. Wrong answer.

C) Nothing is said about nonservice occupations. Wrong answer.

D) Nothing is said about transfers between groups. Wrong answer.

E) Since low-paying occupations will maintain their share, the rate of growth must be the same as the one of the rate of employment. Wrong answer.

My answer is A
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 32 [4]
Given Kudos: 183
WE:Information Technology (Health Care)
Send PM
Re: Recent estimates predict that between 1982 and 1995 the greatest incre [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
I think I went bald on this one :D

Could get this one after a fair bit of thought
C, D, and E are out straight away for we don't have enough info to support those choices

the race is between A and B and I chose B initially, the correct answer seems to be A

My reasoning:

1982: 100 employees, low paying = 25, high paying = 50, others = 25 (note: it is not mentioned that high paying and low paying are the only categories)
so share of low paying = 25 / 100 = 25%
1995: 200 employees, so low paying must be = 50 in order to maintain the 25% share (50/200)
Now this would mean that the absolute increase in low paying is 50 - 25 = 25 and it is given that no other category had such an absolute increase.
So, the absolute increase in high paying would be <25 ==> in 1995 the high paying would be between 50 and 74, let it be max = 74. Now if you look at the other category it has to increase substantially above absolute increase of 25 in order for the sum to be 200
ie. 50 + 74 + 76 but that increase would contradict the information provided. Hence B is wrong

Why option A?

1982: 100 employees, low paying = 50, high paying = 25, others = 25, share of low paying = 50 %
1995: 200 employees, low paying = 100, high paying = 50, others = 50, share of low paying = 50%

Absolute increase in low paying from 1982 to 1995 = 100 - 50 = 50
The other categories must have absolute increase of less than 50. This is only true if in 1982 low paying employees > no of high paying employees.

Try it with other set of numbers while practicing this one. Hope it helps!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 101 [2]
Given Kudos: 8
Send PM
Kudos
Hi mikemcgarry

Below is my interpretation of the problem:

1982 Low= 40, High= 34, Others=26 .
Percentage of low is 40% and of high is %34.
1995- Low 80, High 70, Others 50. total 200. Percentage of low = 40% (constant). % of high 35% (higher).
So, in 1982 more people were working in low-paying service occupations than were working in high-paying service occupations..
Whereas in 1995, number of high is less than the number of low ones.
Basis this I am obtaining A.

Can you please help me identify the flaw in my reasoning ?

Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 28569 [14]
Given Kudos: 130
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
Poorvasha wrote:
Hi mikemcgarry

Below is my interpretation of the problem:

1982 Low= 40, High= 34, Others=26 .
Percentage of low is 40% and of high is %34.
1995- Low 80, High 70, Others 50. total 200. Percentage of low = 40% (constant). % of high 35% (higher).
So, in 1982 more people were working in low-paying service occupations than were working in high-paying service occupations..
Whereas in 1995, number of high is less than the number of low ones.
Basis this I am obtaining A.

Can you please help me identify the flaw in my reasoning ?

Dear Poorvasha,

I'm happy to respond. :-)

My friend, this is a deeply flawed question. In trying to create a tricky must-be-true questions, the author created a question with more possibilities that he himself was able to imagine. In fact, NOTHING must be true, given this scenario, and a few of the answers could be true. This is a completely train wreck of a question and should be ignored.

Don't automatically assume that, simply because some company says "this is a high quality question," that it actually is. Many many GMAT verbal practice questions are pure trash. You have to be very discerning about the source of the question. Read reviews and testimonials. Caveat emptor.

Here's a high quality practice question:
FANTOD programming

Does all this make sense?
Mike :-)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [3]
Given Kudos: 47
Send PM
Kudos