GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 24 Aug 2019, 13:19

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

CR Question - Manhattan - Teachers who switch careers

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
B
CR Question - Manhattan - Teachers who switch careers  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 18 Jul 2019, 20:58
Hi friends,
Can anyone please help me understand this practice problem from Manhattan CR book. I am having difficulties understanding why answer choice B is incorrect, to me answer choice B is what is asserted in the argument and hence explicitly can be inferred!

Here is argument:
Teachers who switch careers are most likely to leave the teaching profession in their third year of teaching. The majority of teachers who remain in the profession for at least seven years stick with teaching for the remainder of their careers.

Which of the following conclusions can most properly be drawn from the information above?

A) Most teachers who leave the profession do so because the work is very stressful and the pay poor.
B) A majority of teachers who leave the profession do so within three years of beginning to teach.
C) A teacher in his or her sixth year of teaching is more likely to remain in the profession than one who is in his or her third year of teaching.
Manager
Manager
B
Concentration: General Management, Entrepreneurship
Reviews Badge
Re: CR Question - Manhattan - Teachers who switch careers  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 30 Jul 2019, 22:50
Top Contributor
hamed288 wrote:
Hi friends,
Can anyone please help me understand this practice problem from Manhattan CR book. I am having difficulties understanding why answer choice B is incorrect, to me answer choice B is what is asserted in the argument and hence explicitly can be inferred!

Here is argument:
Teachers who switch careers are most likely to leave the teaching profession in their third year of teaching. The majority of teachers who remain in the profession for at least seven years stick with teaching for the remainder of their careers.

Which of the following conclusions can most properly be drawn from the information above?

A) Most teachers who leave the profession do so because the work is very stressful and the pay poor.
B) A majority of teachers who leave the profession do so within three years of beginning to teach.
C) A teacher in his or her sixth year of teaching is more likely to remain in the profession than one who is in his or her third year of teaching.

Hi, I broke down the argument as follows and choose answer choice C

1. Teachers who switch leave in 3rd year
2. Majority who remain and manage to stick till 7 years remain teachers

Answer Choices
A - Irrelevant
B - Majority leave within 3 years i.e. 1, 2 and 3 years but argument states most who switch do in 3rd year only. - Irrelevant
C - 6 year teacher will make it to 7th hence would stick longer but 3rd year is likely to quit - Answer

Hope this makes sense and helps :-)
G
Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 02 Aug 2019, 09:07
hamed288 wrote:
Hi friends,

Here is argument:

Though i am not that CR pro, but lets discuss to clear things in a combined way.

Option A is irrelevant & doesn't need any mention - Because nothing regarding "stressful and poor pay" is mentioned in the argument.

Lets come down to the last 2 choices -

as, boomtangboy mentioned, you might have missed the language minutely in option B - "most likely to leave the teaching profession in their third year of teaching"

Son not within 3 years, but only in the 3rd year - So not correct.

Option C - if a teacher teaches >3 years & in his 6th year of teaching, "more likely to remain" the entire carrier in teaching - Hope it is correctly portraying the MUST be True choice.
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 02 Aug 2019, 19:56
boomtangboy wrote:
hamed288 wrote:
Hi friends,

Here is argument:

Hi, I broke down the argument as follows and choose answer choice C

1. Teachers who switch leave in 3rd year
2. Majority who remain and manage to stick till 7 years remain teachers

Answer Choices
A - Irrelevant
B - Majority leave within 3 years i.e. 1, 2 and 3 years but argument states most who switch do in 3rd year only. - Irrelevant
C - 6 year teacher will make it to 7th hence would stick longer but 3rd year is likely to quit - Answer

Hope this makes sense and helps :-)

Thank you and J2S2019, I think that's what was missed, the language was a bit tricky!
GMAT Club Bot
Re: CR Question - Manhattan - Teachers who switch careers   [#permalink] 02 Aug 2019, 19:56

CR Question - Manhattan - Teachers who switch careers

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Moderator: souvonik2k