Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 20:06 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 20:06

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 271 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 792 [0]
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 87 [0]
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Send PM
Re: CR - uranium [#permalink]
I eliminate B, D & E from the possible answers so keep A and C.

I go for C, link between technology and cost

A is incomplete for me, there might be another technique than mining or seawater extraction.

Would like to know the answer :-D
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Send PM
A.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Send PM
what is the source of this question?

I am confused between A) and C) since both look irrelevant.
May be C) is more relevant since for A) there is a possibility of having another source of uranium apart from mines and seawater.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 271 [0]
Send PM
OA: A
Source: GMATPrep
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Send PM
GMATPrep Exam 1 Verbal #36 (for me)

Most of the world's supply of uranium currently comes from mines. It is possible to extract uranium from seawater, but the cost of doing so is greater than the price that uranium fetches on the world market. Therefore, until the cost of extracting uranium from seawater can somehow be reduced, this method of obtaining uranium is unlikely to be commercially viable.
Which of the following would it be most useful to determine in evaluating the argument?

(a) Whether the uranium in deposits on land is rapidly being depleted

(c) Whether there are any technological advances that show promise of reducing the cost of extracting uranium from seawater

Correct answer is (a).

I answered (c) though because I saw that direct link between costs. I would think that the bolded part above would direct lend itself to answer (c). I can see how (a) is possible but (a) seems to already be understood. Why would they be investigating the seawater method unless it was being depleted. Also, commercial viability seems to want a link to costs, and not the amount of remaining resources.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 951 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
It's between C and D, but I will go for C.

Conclusion: Until the price of extracting Uranium from Sea water falls this method will not be comercially viable

Premise: most of the world's Uranium is extracted from mines but it can also be extracted from sea water.

Hidden assumption: This method could be a viable method if costs can be reduced.

Therefore what will be most useful to determine in evaluating the argument will be whether or not there will be any advances in technology that show promise of reducing the price of uranium extracted from sea water.

It talks about costs not the amount available. In my opinion therefore D is out of scope.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 6811 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: Finance
Schools:CBS, Kellogg
Send PM
purefocus428 wrote:
GMATPrep Exam 1 Verbal #36 (for me)

Most of the world's supply of uranium currently comes from mines. It is possible to extract uranium from seawater, but the cost of doing so is greater than the price that uranium fetches on the world market. Therefore, until the cost of extracting uranium from seawater can somehow be reduced, this method of obtaining uranium is unlikely to be commercially viable.
Which of the following would it be most useful to determine in evaluating the argument?

(a) Whether the uranium in deposits on land is rapidly being depleted

(c) Whether there are any technological advances that show promise of reducing the cost of extracting uranium from seawater

Correct answer is (a).

I answered (c) though because I saw that direct link between costs. I would think that the bolded part above would direct lend itself to answer (c). I can see how (a) is possible but (a) seems to already be understood. Why would they be investigating the seawater method unless it was being depleted. Also, commercial viability seems to want a link to costs, and not the amount of remaining resources.

I also fell in the C-trap. And when review it, I found that C definitely irrelevant because C says about technology, not directly about the cost of...But I can not persuade myselft that A. Can somebody help me to figure out A in a more detail?
Intern
Intern
Send PM
I think it is hinged on the definition of commercial viability. It seems implicit that there is a need for uranium in the world so if there is none left on land, people would be willing to pay the additional cost for the more expensive seawater uranium. Hence, making it "commercially viable." If we were to really over-think it, we would also analyze whether this more expensive input would now make the consumers of it unprofitable. In this case, it would not be commercially viable, in my opinion.

But once again, I think I've just overanalyzed it to the point beyond the GMAT.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Send PM
A
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 306 [0]
Send PM
i think it is D

but what is the right ans pls send ?
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Official Answer is A
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 4317 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
A

Archived Topic
Hi there,
This topic has been closed and archived due to inactivity or violation of community quality standards. No more replies are possible here.
Where to now? Join ongoing discussions on thousands of quality questions in our Critical Reasoning (CR) Forum
Still interested in this question? Check out the "Best Topics" block above for a better discussion on this exact question, as well as several more related questions.
Thank you for understanding, and happy exploring!
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6921 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts