GMAT Question of the Day: Daily via email | Daily via Instagram New to GMAT Club? Watch this Video

It is currently 16 Feb 2020, 22:16

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Crazy? China Cancels GRE/GMAT/Toefl Exams in Feb

new topic post reply Update application status  
Founder
Founder
V
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
GMAT ToolKit User CAT Tests
Crazy? China Cancels GRE/GMAT/Toefl Exams in Feb  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 27 Jan 2020, 23:09
Bloomberg just reported that China is closing test centers in Feb and canceling all tests for students taking tests such as GRE, GMAT, and TOEFL due to the outbreak of the virus.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles ... s-outbreak

It seems pretty crazy that they would do it for February (not January). Luckily most people should have taken the tests by now for the Top programs though i expect some folks still taking or planning to take their GMAT and GRE next month. This to me feels more of a political rather than health-centered move. If they wanted to reduce the spread of the virus, why not cancel school, work, and other things, but test centers? as the source of virus? It seems a very poor decision and not well thorught-through. Closing test centers will have a much worse effect!

What do they think the Chinese students will do? Do you think they will not be taking GMAT/GRE/TOEFL? No, they will travel to Thailand, Vietnam, Korea, Singapore, and other SE countries to take the test only to carry whatever they may have with them to more places around the world. This will only worsen the situation.

As a reference, around 40,000 people take the GMAT in China. It is world's second largest GMAT market, after the US, and ahead of India.
D
GMAT 1: 580 Q43 V27
WE: Sales (Energy and Utilities)
CAT Tests
Re: Crazy? China Cancels GRE/GMAT/Toefl Exams in Feb  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 27 Jan 2020, 23:19
This is some news..!!!
But heard over some news channels that they have closed school/colleges till 1st Feb as of now. More than 80 people have died there till 4 hours back.

GMATPREP1 590(Q48,V23) March 6, 2019
GMATPREP2 610(Q44,V29) June 10, 2019
GMATPREPSoft1 680(Q48,V35) June 26, 2019
Founder
Founder
V

Show Tags

New post 27 Jan 2020, 23:24
Yes. That would be due to Chinese New Year. The whole country is off this week. That’s like the Christmas break in the United States or Diwali in India. Everything is closed anyway :|

Posted from my mobile device
D
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 27 Jan 2020, 23:40
I meant they are postponing the opening of new session. Anyhow students from China would not have been allowed to enter any country till things get neutralized.

But cancelling the tests for whole of Feb is a bit of drag.

Founder
Founder
V

Show Tags

New post 28 Jan 2020, 10:26
lnm87 wrote:
I meant they are postponing the opening of new session. Anyhow students from China would not have been allowed to enter any country till things get neutralized.

I don’t think this is accurate. There are airplanes flying from many Chinese cities to other parts of the world on an hourly basis. One city in China has closed its airport and canceled his flights but all other cities in China are operating as normal. I don’t think anyone is detaining Chinese citizens or preventing them from entering the country they can legally enter... Anyone can fly from Beijing or Chengdu to Singapore right now. There may be a medical screening for fever and temperature in one of those airports but the flights are still flying

I think your expectations are too high :-)
It’s a country of 2 billion people and the second largest economy in the world.... It would be very hard to lock everything down in the entire country.

B
Concentration: Leadership, Strategy
GMAT 1: 510 Q26 V34
WE: Science (Energy and Utilities)

Show Tags

New post 28 Jan 2020, 11:28
I think it's okay to cancel for a week or two in affected areas until things stabilize but not the whole month and the whole country especially in areas that are not affected
D
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 28 Jan 2020, 19:51
bb wrote:
lnm87 wrote:

I don’t think this is accurate. There are airplanes flying from many Chinese cities to other parts of the world on an hourly basis. One city in China has closed its airport and canceled his flights but all other cities in China are operating as normal. I don’t think anyone is detaining Chinese citizens or preventing them from entering the country they can legally enter... Anyone can fly from Beijing or Chengdu to Singapore right now. There may be a medical screening for fever and temperature in one of those airports but the flights are still flying

I think your expectations are too high :-)
It’s a country of 2 billion people and the second largest economy in the world.... It would be very hard to lock everything down in the entire country.

What i said about allowing Chinese citizens in other countries was based on few news reports. https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2020/0 ... m-spreads/
https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/n7je ... avirus-out
Hong Kong(may be politically motivated) is doing, Mongolia already did andmany might follow if things are that bad. On the positive side, it is known how SARS affected so things need to be prepared upfront.

Not expecting anything but I did say that cancelling the tests for the whole of February does not make sense. BTW you can add to the Freakonomics book series by writing next one. :crazy:
Its all precautionary and only those would likely close who can afford it(as you rightly said), Japan and S. Korea surely can do but not India(even if the trade with China is highly unbalanced).

Founder
Founder
V

Show Tags

New post 29 Jan 2020, 12:59
At this point I should probably rename the topic since it does not seem to be crazy any more. While travel is still permitted, a number of companies and airlines have canceled flights (British Airways has canceled all flights) and looks like Google is closing their offices (not leaving the country like they have done a long time ago but rather telling people not to come to the office, though the offices are in Hong Kong) https://www.cnbc.com/2020/01/29/google- ... break.html

This seems to have become a lot greater of a concern than just test-taking though you can still take a test until Jan 31st :dazed
Crazy? China Cancels GRE/GMAT/Toefl Exams in Feb   [#permalink] 29 Jan 2020, 12:59

Crazy? China Cancels GRE/GMAT/Toefl Exams in Feb

new topic post reply Update application status  

Moderators: billionaire, Hatakekakashi