GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 22 Jun 2018, 21:25

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Critique my study log/study plan

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
B
Critique my study log/study plan [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 21 Mar 2017, 18:53
Hey guys,

Starting up again on my GMAT prep! I originally began studying in January, but had to take a break after about a month of studying due to work and a few other obstacles.

To motivate myself, I have already registered for the test. July 8th is the day, giving me roughly 3 months to prep before sitting for the test. I've taken a full length CAT and scored a 590 and I'm targeting above 700 on test day.

I'm planning to stick to the Magoosh 3 month beginner plan combined with the OG. I'll also use the MGMAT guides as an additional resource when I need incremental practice. My only concern with this plan is that the first CAT isn't until the 5th week. Seems kind of late, but maybe not. Maybe mikemcgarry can chime in here. I'll adapt the plan for myself as I move forward and get a better feel for my strengths and weaknesses.

I've made this study log to track my progress. (disregard some of the weird numbers - they'll populate appropriately as I move forward with my studying)

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... sp=sharing

I'm open to any and all thoughts/questions/concerns regarding my study plan and study log.

Thanks!
Magoosh Discount Codese-GMAT Discount CodesOptimus Prep Discount Codes
Manager
Manager
S
GMAT 1: 740 Q49 V40
GPA: 3.11
Reviews Badge
Re: Critique my study log/study plan [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 22 Mar 2017, 09:58
the Magoosh study plan is a good one to follow. One thing that helped me a lot is error log. Try to keep one.

Today's actions are tomorrow's results

Intern
Intern
B
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 22 Mar 2017, 10:32
Hi CLTpkg,

If you have 3 months to study, taking your first CAT in Week 5 shouldn't be an issue.

You should really spend the first five weeks getting all the concepts and material down. Doing Tests before this point may not yield accurate results and you waste a CAT. For example, if you come across geometry questions that you could tackle, your lack of knowledge may prohibit you from gagging your true skill level.

In your studies, I would recommend you make flash cards for all things Quant, and Sentence Correction flash cards for Verbal. This will help you keep the concepts fresh (from Weeks 5-12). During this period I think you should aim for 1 full CAT a week, and do a complete analysis of your score going question by question. Keep a Notebook or make a separate set of Flash Cards highlighting your weaknesses, so that you can improve from it.

I have been studying for the GMAT since February, and plan to give the exam this weekend. What I have mentioned is what I wish I knew from the beginning. Although I am confident in my abilities come test day, I feel I could have been much more efficient had I focused on getting the material down earlier than dedicating time to strategy and analysis when a lot of my errors were coming from knowledge gaps.

Good Luck and Happy Studying!! Believe that you can and will get the score you desire!
Manager
Manager
G
WE: Advertising (Advertising and PR)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 25 Mar 2017, 03:19
Hi,

it's almost three months since you posted this, so I hope you're on track. If you've scored a 590 on your opening CAT and if you just need some brushing up on verbal but serious effort on quant then taking a 1.5 month to really get your weaknesses' sorted. It takes longer to build verbal skills than it takes to build quant skills. Maintaining an error log(which you've already mentioned) and taking mini practice tests is a good move. Build your stamina gradually, by increasing the number of questions you solve at a stretch. These tests will build your mental capacity for the big test. This is also done so that you don't forget that you have limited time on the actual test. Always ask yourself two questions before jumping into solving a question. "What do I need to find out? Can I find it out?" If the answer is no, then take an educated guess and move on. Make this a habit even when you're studying, never spend over 2.5 minutes on a quant question and never over 2.75 minutes on a verbal question. However if it's the other way round, then about 20 days suffices to build quant skills.

If you find my post useful, please give me a kudos.

Thank you.
Regards,
ENEM

If you wish to spend wisely on your gmat prep material, check my post titled: How to Spend Money On GMAT Material Wisely, link: https://gmatclub.com/forum/how-to-buy-gmat-material-wisely-tag-free-gmat-resources-236174.html

Simple and handy template for CR: https://gmatclub.com/forum/simple-and-handy-template-for-cr-242255.html

simple template for more vs greater and fewer vs less: https://gmatclub.com/forum/simple-template-for-more-vs-greater-and-fewer-vs-less-242216.html

Re: Critique my study log/study plan   [#permalink] 25 Mar 2017, 03:19

Critique my study log/study plan

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Moderator: HKD1710

HOT DEALS FOR JUNE
Math Revolution - $99/3 mo Free 1-month trial + Diagnostic Test
Economist GMAT - Free Free 1-week trial + Free Test
examPAL Full GMAT video course - Save 10%
EMPOWERgmat - $85/mo GMAT Club tests included 2nd month GMAT Prep Exams 3, 4, 5 & 6
Target Test Prep - Save $800 $50 Discount + $750 Bonus [GMAT Club
Tests and Premium MBA Bundle]
Kaplan Courses - Save $475 $225 Discount + $250 Bonus
GMAT Club Tests - Free Included with every course purchase
of $149 or more - Full List is here

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap