Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 19:34 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 19:34

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 31 [0]
Given Kudos: 9
Concentration: Healthcare
Schools: Duke '15 (M)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 21 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 352 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
SVP
SVP
Send PM
Re: Current Student Blogs [#permalink]
FROM Financial Times MBA Blog: A physician’s journey through the MBA
The flexibility of an online course persuaded medic Eduardo Alvarado Vásquez that he was ready to study for an MBA.

Read more
This Blog post was imported into the forum automatically. We hope you found it helpful. Please use the Kudos button if you did, or please PM/DM me if you found it disruptive and I will take care of it. -BB
SVP
SVP
Send PM
FROM Financial Times MBA Blog: An invaluable resource
Thunderbird's Career Management Center provides Brenden Sheehan the opportunity for teamwork

Read more
This Blog post was imported into the forum automatically. We hope you found it helpful. Please use the Kudos button if you did, or please PM/DM me if you found it disruptive and I will take care of it. -BB
SVP
SVP
Send PM
FROM Financial Times MBA Blog: Intersection: Ideas in Practice

After a very short break, everyone around me looks surprisingly refreshed, energetic and ready to tackle term two. To kick start the term, I revisited our class values that we defined during the very first week – Team, Participation, Fun, Open Mind and Integrity – and my 90-day mission is to make sure that I am on track.
Read more
SVP
SVP
Send PM
FROM Financial Times MBA Blog: Intersection: ideas in Practice
After a short break, everyone at Copenhagen Business School is ready to tackle term two, says MBA blogger Sunny Sheng

Read more
SVP
SVP
Send PM
FROM Financial Times MBA Blog: My love affair with coffee has ended.
Giving up caffeine brings its own highs and lows, says Oxford's Stephen Morse

Read more
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 31 [0]
Given Kudos: 9
Concentration: Healthcare
Schools: Duke '15 (M)
Send PM
FROM From Bench to Board (Fuqua): Tips for MBA Admission (Guest Post)
There's a lot of debate about the value and nature of an MBA program. Skepticism about initial investments and ROI is certainly warranted on a broad scale, but I'm still in the camp that firmly agrees with the assertion that the benefits of an MBA often outweigh the risks or negatives.

Unfortunately, for potential students who are asking themselves questions about this topic, making the decision of whether an MBA is worth the investment is only the first hurdle.

Continue reading »
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Concentration: Marketing, Technology
GRE 1: Q159 V161
GPA: 3.49
WE:Sales (Advertising and PR)
Send PM
FROM Yudanashi: Careers and Networking
When you first start dating someone you only see their positive features and put aside their blemishes.  When you break up with them you only see their flaws. This scene from 500 days of summer captures this better than anything I could try to write this week so take 102 seconds and watch this clip.

My blog has had a pretty positive tone when it comes to those blemishes of the Oxford MBA. Partly, its because we just started dating, partly its because I try to have an optimistic attitude, and partly its because I have had faith that some of the issues were common to either the UK or B-schools in general. This weekend I had that faith rewarded.

I spent the weekend at London Business School at an LGBT MBA conference called EurOUT. There were ~100 LGBT MBA students from every European B-school and one of the questions I asked these other students was what they loved and didn’t love about their program. They had the same concerns I have heard in my role as Section Rep at Oxford with the largest concern being the Careers departments.

It was clear that for many schools getting employers onto campus was a matter of obtaining critical mass. Some schools compensate for this by concentrating students interested in a particular field, thus sacrificing diversity of background in classroom discussions. Other school (like Oxford) grow the student population to attract more employers. The downsides to both of these approaches is the same and it is universal at these school. The ratio of students to recruiters is too high to build the personal connections needed to really secure an interview.

I say this making a key assumption. I admit it is biased given my time in the networking capital of the world – Washington DC. I assume that any job you are going to get is going to happen because someone whom you know gave you the opportunity to show them what you know. This is a subtle difference between the cynical adage that only “Who you know” matters. Specifically “Who you know” can help you get an interview, but you only get past that stage because of “What you know.”

If we accept that assumption then a high student to recruiter ratio means that the events a careers department puts on *can* be helpful but the numbers don’t play to your favor. Instead I’d highly recommend attending a key conference for an interest/region/affiliation where recruiters will actively be looking for top LGBT talent.

Going to a conference and networking with recruiters puts you as an MBA in the driver’s seat. You have the control to talk to whom you want during the conference and during the career fair. For type-a MBAs this is critical. When you go to a conference you get the chance to have smaller discussions with recruiters who all of a sudden are competing for you. To use lessons from strategy you are flipping the dynamic between buyers & suppliers.

To get the most out of MBA conference recruiting I’d recommend a couple of tips:

• Be clear & concise. – This one is rather obvious but approach recruiters with a key focused question in mind, a short elevator pitch about yourself, or a relevant insight. They are busy and if you waste their time they will know.
  • Be cognizant. – Be aware of how much time you are spending talking to a recruiter. Odds are there are others who want to talk to the recruiter you have backed up against their table or sign. If you have made your concise points, thank the recruiter and let them talk with others. If you hold them captive they will remember you, but not for the right reasons.
  • Exit gracefully – If you don’t know how to best exit a conversation my favorite is to say “Thank you so much for your time, I know you are busy so I’ll let you go so you can talk with others.” It gives them an opening to tell you they’d prefer talking with you or for them to exit the conversation. Alternatively you can always ask where the toilets are.
  • Be the Best – While the odds are more in your favor, do what you can to be the best amongst your fellow conference peers. Ask insightful questions that demonstrate you understand their business. Recognize challenges they face and ask about them. Recruiters see the dirty ins & outs of their company. They are the last ones who want to hear “I love everything your company does”
  • Be anything but bland – Yes you have to do the basics especially the “Thank you/follow-up” note. But the worst thing you can do is be generic and unrecognizable. If they gave you a good answer to your insightful question, then recognize that fact in the thank-you note.

SVP
SVP
Send PM
FROM Financial Times MBA Blog: Big in Japan: doing business in the Land of the Rising Sun
As part of the Nanyang Business School's MBA curriculum, the batch of 2016 conducted a 5-day Business Study Mission to Japan. Twelve Japan-based multinationals welcomed the students from NBS to their office and offered truly inspiring insights into their corporate strategies. Melina Loeven presents a report of insightful discourses with Japan's top leaders and summaries the key take-aways from her trip.

Read more
SVP
SVP
Send PM
FROM Financial Times MBA Blog: How my MBA class reacted to the Paris terrorist attacks
The Paris terrorist attacks have far-reaching consequences, says Oxford's Stephen Morse

Read more
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Concentration: Marketing, Technology
GRE 1: Q159 V161
GPA: 3.49
WE:Sales (Advertising and PR)
Send PM
FROM Yudanashi: Adapting to New Cultures
In the week leading up to my move to England I read the book “Watching the English.” It is an anthropologists look at English culture filled with lessons on everything from drinking, eating, tea, gardens, trains, drinking, friends, work, and drinking.

It was a great read to help get me into the mindset of the English before I embedded myself within their culture. It is a phenomenal read that I recommend to any ExPats here in the UK. What has struck me is how true it is, and sadly how much I have ignored its advice at times (only to my detriment).

The biggest advice I’ve ignored is the level of effort the English will go to avoid being impolite or confrontational in-person. For quick context if you are having a conversation with an Englishman and at the end he says “Oh by the way” as an American I’d assume that what comes next is trivial. To the English, this is the most important thing they wanted to say. In emails their politeness can come across as passive-aggressive and as a brash American it can be an interesting clash, but I am learning.

As an American attending the Oxford MBA I am a cultural minority. Sure, we make up 20% of the class but we work within the realities, biases, and cultural traits of 56 countries. Sometimes its hard because political beliefs, ways of communicating, and respect to hierarchy differ drastically. However I couldn’t be happier that I am surrounded by this diverse group of students. It is first-hand, intensive, immersion learning on how to work on a global scale. Its a unique feature that you can’t get at almost any other top MBA program, especially any in the states.

In almost every interview or recruiter conversation with firms in the states I have been asked some variation of “Why not an American program?” Honestly I am grateful for this conversation because it allows me to talk about my classmates and the diversity they bring to the classroom.

While I am still not perfect at adapting to other culture’s methods of communication I am learning and grateful for each chance I get.

SVP
SVP
Send PM
FROM Financial Times MBA Blog: Mastering boardroom impact through simulation
Be crisp. Do not waste words. You won’t have the floor for an unlimited period of time, so when you do, make it count.

Read more
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 43 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: General Management, Healthcare
Schools: Harvard Business School - Class of 2017
GMAT 1: 710 Q47 V40
GPA: 3.7
WE:Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
Send PM
FROM Ambitiousbusinessguy: Business models in B-School career services
Most top business schools breed their students for a career in consulting or financial services (which is slowly being displaced by high tech and entrepreneurial opportunities). Entry into both these industries requires rigorous preparation in terms of professional networking skills, resume reviews and interview preparation (not to mention certain passports). Business School rankings are determined by […]

https://priyankabharadwaj.wordpress.com/2015/11/23/business-models-in-b-school-career-services/

SVP
SVP
Send PM
FROM Financial Times MBA Blog: The Oxford Quality of Life Index: High
To hop from speaker to speaker, to debate, to drink, to dinner, to a show in one night would not be possible in most places, according to MBA blogger Stephen Morse. In Oxford, he says, it is.

Read more
SVP
SVP
Send PM
FROM Financial Times MBA Blog: Closing loops
Sunny Sheng from Copenhagen Business School on the circular economy, networking, elevator pitches and more

Read more
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 17 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, General Management
GPA: 3.48
WE:General Management (Consumer Products)
Send PM
FROM j2insead: For a New Beginning…
In out-of-the-way places of the heart,

Where your thoughts never think to wander,

This beginning has been quietly forming,

Waiting until you were ready to emerge.

For a long time it has watched your desire,

Feeling the emptiness growing inside you,

Noticing how you willed yourself on,

Still unable to leave what you had outgrown.

It watched you play with the seduction of safety

And the gray promises that sameness whispered,

Heard the waves of turmoil rise and relent,

Wondered would you always live like this.

Then the delight, when your courage kindled,

And out you stepped onto new ground,

Your eyes young again with energy and dream,

A path of plenitude opening before you.

Though your destination is not yet clear

You can trust the promise of this opening;

Unfurl yourself into the grace of beginning

That is at one with your life’s desire.

Awaken your spirit to adventure;

Hold nothing back, learn to find ease in risk;

Soon you will be home in a new rhythm,

For your soul senses the world that awaits you.

-John O’Donohue

This beginning- long awaited, would begin in less than five weeks. All is set for the next chapter of my life. The past few years have been most memorable! Life has been as beautiful as the morning sun. I have metamorphosed in knowledge, felt the love of family, made amazing new friends, learnt new cultures, and taken on new adventures. Despite all these, I believe the new chapter I’m about to begin holds more.

So I look on with hope and excitement, trusting in the beauty of new birth as I countdown to Orientation week in 2016. Time to say good bye to family and friends, but not for long. I will be back…

SVP
SVP
Send PM
FROM Financial Times MBA Blog: Balancing work and play
Finding ways to balance workload with play is a major benefit of studying for an MBA in a place like Edinburgh, says Jess Webb

Read more
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 43 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: General Management, Healthcare
Schools: Harvard Business School - Class of 2017
GMAT 1: 710 Q47 V40
GPA: 3.7
WE:Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
Send PM
FROM Ambitiousbusinessguy: 10 Things from outside the classroom that I learnt during my MBA.
Every student has a predefined notion about a MBA degree:- hefty packages, good job opportunities, improvement in position and salaries but how many really know the journey of becoming a MBA student? Learning  management jargons, frameworks and business models, analyzing case studies & and eventually hopiing to reach the peak of self-actualization on Maslow’s […]

https://experientialexplorer.wordpress.com/2015/11/26/10-things-i-learnt-during-my-mba-which-they-do-not-teach-you-in-classes/

GMAT Club Bot
   1  ...  22   23   24   25   26   27   28  ...  44   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6921 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts