It is currently 11 Dec 2017, 21:34

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

D01-13

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 9

Re: D01-13 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 31 May 2017, 09:13
Can someone please provide the logic behind not taking the negative root for '√9=3, NOT +3 or -3;'
Is this mentioned anywhere int the OG or any other official material?
How do we know the GMAT doesn't consider the negative root ?

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 9

Expert Post
Math Expert
V

Kudos [?]: 135294 [0], given: 12686

Show Tags

New post 31 May 2017, 10:20
AllenF wrote:
Can someone please provide the logic behind not taking the negative root for '√9=3, NOT +3 or -3;'
Is this mentioned anywhere int the OG or any other official material?
How do we know the GMAT doesn't consider the negative root ?

This is explained many times. \(\sqrt{}\) denotes a function. Mathematically the square root function cannot give negative result.

OFFICIAL GUIDE:
\(\sqrt{n}\) denotes the positive number whose square is n.

Piece of advice, people here, experts/tutors, are here to help students, not to deceive them. So, if you see the same thing repeated many times by experts/tutors you should now that it's true.

New to the Math Forum?
Please read this: Ultimate GMAT Quantitative Megathread | All You Need for Quant | PLEASE READ AND FOLLOW: 12 Rules for Posting!!!

Resources:
GMAT Math Book | Triangles | Polygons | Coordinate Geometry | Factorials | Circles | Number Theory | Remainders; 8. Overlapping Sets | PDF of Math Book; 10. Remainders | GMAT Prep Software Analysis | SEVEN SAMURAI OF 2012 (BEST DISCUSSIONS) | Tricky questions from previous years.

Collection of Questions:
PS: 1. Tough and Tricky questions; 2. Hard questions; 3. Hard questions part 2; 4. Standard deviation; 5. Tough Problem Solving Questions With Solutions; 6. Probability and Combinations Questions With Solutions; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 12 Easy Pieces (or not?); 9 Bakers' Dozen; 10 Algebra set. ,11 Mixed Questions, 12 Fresh Meat

DS: 1. DS tough questions; 2. DS tough questions part 2; 3. DS tough questions part 3; 4. DS Standard deviation; 5. Inequalities; 6. 700+ GMAT Data Sufficiency Questions With Explanations; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 The Discreet Charm of the DS; 9 Devil's Dozen!!!; 10 Number Properties set., 11 New DS set.

What are GMAT Club Tests?
Extra-hard Quant Tests with Brilliant Analytics

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 14

CAT Tests
D01-13 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 31 May 2017, 19:33
Bunuel wrote:
CristianJuarez wrote:
stan3544 wrote:
And here we go again. Sometimes i feel as if GMAT has it's own version of math that goes against universal one. I understand that on verbal there can be a whole lot of inerprteations of rules, simply because it is VERBAL, as in not a precise science which is basically a human imagination. But math has to be precise. And now, according to e-GMAT -b^m if m is even --> positive number and you are stating that −2^4=−16 and i made a whole lot of mistakes when practicing quant from both OG and scholaranium that involved sqr.root of a number, because i didn't include the negative value as well. Can comeone give a link or a screenshot of an OG question where when we take sqr root we don't consider the negative value?

The gmat doesn't have its own version of math. The square root is a function, that's why it is always positive. As a function, it can't take a positive and a negative value (if it did, it wouldn't be a function, you can look at the graph to check that out).

When you solve x^2 = 4, applying the square root function and assuming two results for x is incorrect, because you would only get x = 2. The formal and correct method is:
x^2 = 4
x^2 - 4 =0
(x + 2)(x - 2)=0 and from here get both results for x.

That's correct. + 1.

Another way of solving x^2 = 4 would be:

\(x = \sqrt{4}=2\) or \(x = -\sqrt{4}=-2\).

Yes, actually I'd like to correct myself, I hope it isn't more confusing.

Bunuel's solution applying square root function comes from the fact that the function f(x)=x^2 allows x to take positive or negative values (or 0):

I don't have 5 posts so I can't include the image :( , please search for it on google.

Meanwhile, the function \(f(x)= \sqrt{x}\) doesn't (this is why square root is always positive):

(check image on google)

So, if people want to solve this excercise by applying square root function, you must consider that this is incorrect:

\(x^2=4\) Apply \(\sqrt{}\)
\(\sqrt{x^2}=\sqrt{4}\)
\(x = \sqrt{4}\)
\(x=2\) or \(x= -2\)

It is incorrect because \(\sqrt{4}\) is always 2 and you lost a solution in the process.

So, you have to consider that mathemathically, \(\sqrt{x^2} = |x|\). This is only because \(f(x)=x^2\) can take a positive or a negative value for x (or 0 of course). Indeed, this doesn't mean the square root takes a positive or a negative solution, its always positive (or zero)!! (remember, \(|x|\) is always \(>= 0\) for any value of \(x\)).

You can check it out like this:
\(\sqrt{4} = \sqrt{2^2}= |2|=2, not -2!!\) or:
\(\sqrt{4} = \sqrt{(-2)^2}= |-2|=2, not -2!!\) It's impossible to get to \(-2\) like that

So the correct process by applying square root function is:
\(x^2=4\) Apply \(\sqrt{}\)
\(\sqrt{x^2}=\sqrt{4}\)
\(|x| = 2\)
\(x=2\) or \(x= -2\)

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 14

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 86

Re D01-13 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 18 Aug 2017, 13:43
I think this is a high-quality question and I agree with explanation.

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 86

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 16 Nov 2017, 01:36
How do we know even root in GMAT is always positive ?

Expert Post
Math Expert
V

Show Tags

New post 16 Nov 2017, 01:38

Intern
Intern
B

GMAT ToolKit User CAT Tests
Re D01-13 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 21 Nov 2017, 00:04
I think this is a high-quality question and the explanation isn't clear enough, please elaborate.

Expert Post
Math Expert
V

Show Tags

New post 21 Nov 2017, 00:07

Re: D01-13   [#permalink] 21 Nov 2017, 00:07

Go to page   Previous    1   2   3   [ 48 posts ] 

D01-13

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Moderators: chetan2u, Bunuel

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap