GMAT Question of the Day: Daily via email | Daily via Instagram New to GMAT Club? Watch this Video

It is currently 06 Jul 2020, 05:09

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Dara ran on a treadmill that had a readout indicating the time remaini

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Find Similar Topics 
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 09 May 2017
Posts: 2
Dara ran on a treadmill that had a readout indicating the time remaini  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 21 Nov 2017, 17:33
1
VeritasPrepKarishma wrote:
CoffeeCreamSugar wrote:
Dara ran on a treadmill that had a readout indicating the time remaining in her exercise session. When the readout indicated 24 min 18 sec, she had completed 10% of her exercise session. The readout indicated which of the following when she had completed 40% of her exercise session?

A. 10 min 48 sec
B. 14 min 52 sec
C. 14 min 58 sec
D. 16 min 6 sec
E. 16 min 12 sec


Do a more efficient single calculation:

24 min 18 sec is 90% of her exercise time.
When she completes 40% of her exercise session, the readout will indicate 60% of the time.

So we need \(\frac{6}{9} * 24(\frac{18}{60}) = \frac{81}{5} = 16 ( \frac{1}{5}) = 16 (\frac{12}{60}) =\)16 min 12 sec

*Edited a calculation error.


Hi. Could you please explain the reasoning behind the last part? How did get to the 81/5?
Manager
Manager
User avatar
B
Joined: 03 May 2017
Posts: 78
GMAT ToolKit User
Dara ran on a treadmill that had a readout indicating the time remaini  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 21 Nov 2017, 20:19
1
CoffeeCreamSugar wrote:
Dara ran on a treadmill that had a readout indicating the time remaining in her exercise session. When the readout indicated 24 min 18 sec, she had completed 10% of her exercise session. The readout indicated which of the following when she had completed 40% of her exercise session?

A. 10 min 48 sec
B. 14 min 52 sec
C. 14 min 58 sec
D. 16 min 6 sec
E. 16 min 12 sec


\(Mental:\)


\(90 percent\) = \(24 min 18 sec\)

\(60 percent\) = \(\frac{2}{3} * 24 min 18 sec\)

= \(16 min 12 sec\), i.e \(\frac{2}{3}\) of each of \(24\) and \(18\) respectively

Hence, E.
Intern
Intern
avatar
S
Joined: 12 Oct 2017
Posts: 34
Re: Dara ran on a treadmill that had a readout indicating the time remaini  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 27 Nov 2017, 23:27
When the readout indicated 24 min 18 sec, she had completed 10% of her exercise session.
=> 24 min 18 sec = total time for Daran to complete 90% of her excercise session.
=> total time to complete = 24min18 sec : 90% = 27 mins.
When she completes 40% of her exercise => timer should show the time remaining for 60% of her exercise = 60% * 27 mins = 16 min 20 sec
Hence the answer is E.
Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 02 Dec 2016
Posts: 5
Re: Dara ran on a treadmill that had a readout indicating the time remaini  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 20 Sep 2018, 07:35
hacker wrote:
This problem can be done mentally without any calculations

Readout indicated 24 min 18 sec when she had completed 10% of her exercise.

This means remaining 90% of the work will take 24 min 18 sec => 30% will take 8 min 6 sec

so 40% completed i.e. 60% remaining of the work will take (24min 18 sec- 8 min 6 sec)= 16min 12 sec.
So E is the answer



extremely elegant!
Manager
Manager
avatar
B
Joined: 14 Nov 2018
Posts: 88
Location: United Arab Emirates
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
Schools: LBS '22 (I)
GMAT 1: 590 Q42 V30
GMAT 2: 670 Q46 V36
GPA: 2.6
Re: Dara ran on a treadmill that had a readout indicating the time remaini  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 19 Nov 2019, 04:11
Key is to recognize this is a proportion question - 90% is given need to calculate 60%

0.9=24.3min
0.6=x?

x=24.3*0.6/0.9
x=243*6/9=162

162 divide by 10=16.2 or 16 min 12 sec
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Dara ran on a treadmill that had a readout indicating the time remaini   [#permalink] 19 Nov 2019, 04:11

Go to page   Previous    1   2   [ 25 posts ] 

Dara ran on a treadmill that had a readout indicating the time remaini

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  





Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group | Emoji artwork provided by EmojiOne