GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 15 Aug 2018, 00:04

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Dara ran on a treadmill that had a readout indicating the time remaini

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 25 Jan 2016
Posts: 2
Dara ran on a treadmill that had a readout indicating the time remaini  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 14 Apr 2016, 09:03
10
47
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

  65% (hard)

Question Stats:

64% (01:28) correct 36% (01:30) wrong based on 886 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Dara ran on a treadmill that had a readout indicating the time remaining in her exercise session. When the readout indicated 24 min 18 sec, she had completed 10% of her exercise session. The readout indicated which of the following when she had completed 40% of her exercise session?

A. 10 min 48 sec
B. 14 min 52 sec
C. 14 min 58 sec
D. 16 min 6 sec
E. 16 min 12 sec
Most Helpful Expert Reply
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
User avatar
P
Joined: 16 Oct 2010
Posts: 8184
Location: Pune, India
Re: Dara ran on a treadmill that had a readout indicating the time remaini  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 05 May 2016, 21:22
16
8
CoffeeCreamSugar wrote:
Dara ran on a treadmill that had a readout indicating the time remaining in her exercise session. When the readout indicated 24 min 18 sec, she had completed 10% of her exercise session. The readout indicated which of the following when she had completed 40% of her exercise session?

A. 10 min 48 sec
B. 14 min 52 sec
C. 14 min 58 sec
D. 16 min 6 sec
E. 16 min 12 sec


Do a more efficient single calculation:

24 min 18 sec is 90% of her exercise time.
When she completes 40% of her exercise session, the readout will indicate 60% of the time.

So we need \(\frac{6}{9} * 24(\frac{18}{60}) = \frac{81}{5} = 16 ( \frac{1}{5}) = 16 (\frac{12}{60}) =\)16 min 12 sec

*Edited a calculation error.
_________________

Karishma
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor

Save up to $1,000 on GMAT prep through 8/20! Learn more here >

GMAT self-study has never been more personalized or more fun. Try ORION Free!

Most Helpful Community Reply
SC Moderator
User avatar
D
Joined: 13 Apr 2015
Posts: 1711
Location: India
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
GMAT 1: 200 Q1 V1
GPA: 4
WE: Analyst (Retail)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Dara ran on a treadmill that had a readout indicating the time remaini  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 14 Apr 2016, 09:13
29
12
90% of the exercise should be completed in 24min 18 sec (1458 sec)

When she completes 40% of her exercise timer should show the time remaining for 60% of her exercise.

If 90% requires 1458 sec then 60% requires --> (60 * 1458)/90 = (2/3)*(1458) = 2 * 486 = 972 secs

Required answer = 972/60 = 16 min 12 sec

Answer: E
General Discussion
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 05 May 2016
Posts: 2
Location: Israel
Re: Dara ran on a treadmill that had a readout indicating the time remaini  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 05 May 2016, 11:01
CoffeeCreamSugar wrote:
Dara ran on a treadmill that had a readout indicating the time remaining in her exercise session. When the readout indicated 24 min 18 sec, she had completed 10% of her exercise session. The readout indicated which of the following when she had completed 40% of her exercise session?

A. 10 min 48 sec
B. 14 min 52 sec
C. 14 min 58 sec
D. 16 min 6 sec
E. 16 min 12 sec


Let's call 24min and 18sec Y.
24min and 18 sec are: 243/10.
Dara completed 10% of her session, so:
243/10 = 9x/10
x=27 min.
27-Y= 2min+42sec
If Dara completed 40% of her session, the she worked for 4*(2min+42sec) so that the rest of her session will be:
27min-10min&48sec = 16 min 12 sec
_________________

IMPOSSIBLE IS NOTHING!

VP
VP
avatar
P
Joined: 07 Dec 2014
Posts: 1064
Re: Dara ran on a treadmill that had a readout indicating the time remaini  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 05 May 2016, 20:23
24.3 minutes/.9=27 minutes=total time of session
(27)(.6)=16.2 minutes=time remaining when session is 40% completed
16.2 minutes=16 min 12 sec
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 17 Jan 2016
Posts: 10
Re: Dara ran on a treadmill that had a readout indicating the time remaini  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 06 May 2016, 09:03
1
VeritasPrepKarishma wrote:
CoffeeCreamSugar wrote:
Dara ran on a treadmill that had a readout indicating the time remaining in her exercise session. When the readout indicated 24 min 18 sec, she had completed 10% of her exercise session. The readout indicated which of the following when she had completed 40% of her exercise session?

A. 10 min 48 sec
B. 14 min 52 sec
C. 14 min 58 sec
D. 16 min 6 sec
E. 16 min 12 sec


Do a more efficient single calculation:

24 min 18 sec is 90% of her exercise time.
When she completes 40% of her exercise session, the readout will indicate 60% of the time.

So we need \(\frac{6}{9} * 24(\frac{18}{60}) = \frac{161}{10} = 16 ( \frac{1}{10}) = 16 (\frac{6}{60}) =\)16 min 6 sec



I guess you have a little flaw somewhere. OA is indeed E (16min 12sec), just saying :)
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
User avatar
P
Joined: 16 Oct 2010
Posts: 8184
Location: Pune, India
Re: Dara ran on a treadmill that had a readout indicating the time remaini  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 08 May 2016, 20:46
broilerc wrote:
VeritasPrepKarishma wrote:
CoffeeCreamSugar wrote:
Dara ran on a treadmill that had a readout indicating the time remaining in her exercise session. When the readout indicated 24 min 18 sec, she had completed 10% of her exercise session. The readout indicated which of the following when she had completed 40% of her exercise session?

A. 10 min 48 sec
B. 14 min 52 sec
C. 14 min 58 sec
D. 16 min 6 sec
E. 16 min 12 sec


Do a more efficient single calculation:

24 min 18 sec is 90% of her exercise time.
When she completes 40% of her exercise session, the readout will indicate 60% of the time.

So we need \(\frac{6}{9} * 24(\frac{18}{60}) = \frac{161}{10} = 16 ( \frac{1}{10}) = 16 (\frac{6}{60}) =\)16 min 6 sec



I guess you have a little flaw somewhere. OA is indeed E (16min 12sec), just saying :)


Yes, you are right. Thanks for pointing it out. Edited.
_________________

Karishma
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor

Save up to $1,000 on GMAT prep through 8/20! Learn more here >

GMAT self-study has never been more personalized or more fun. Try ORION Free!

Current Student
User avatar
B
Joined: 23 Feb 2015
Posts: 169
Schools: Duke '19 (M)
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Dara ran on a treadmill that had a readout indicating the time remaini  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 20 May 2016, 13:03
4
24 min 18 sec = 1458 sec --> this is 90% of the total workout (w)

.9w = 1458 sec
w = 1620 sec

The readout when she had done 40% of the workout will be 60% of the total

1620*.6 = 972 --> 972/60 = 16 min 12 sec

Answer E
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 18 Mar 2015
Posts: 1
Re: Dara ran on a treadmill that had a readout indicating the time remaini  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 06 Jun 2016, 11:13
I did it like this:

If 24 min and 18 seconds is left and 10% is completed then 90% is left.

Therefore, 24 18/60 = 90% x
x = 27 min total time

Then 10% completed = 27 min - 24 min 18 sec = 2 min 42 seconds

Therefore 60% completed = 10% * 6 = 2 min 42 seconds * 6
= (2 + 42/60) * 6 = 162 / 10 = 16 + .2 min = 16 min 20 seconds

= E
SVP
SVP
avatar
B
Joined: 06 Nov 2014
Posts: 1888
Re: Dara ran on a treadmill that had a readout indicating the time remaini  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 26 Jun 2016, 11:24
CoffeeCreamSugar wrote:
Dara ran on a treadmill that had a readout indicating the time remaining in her exercise session. When the readout indicated 24 min 18 sec, she had completed 10% of her exercise session. The readout indicated which of the following when she had completed 40% of her exercise session?

A. 10 min 48 sec
B. 14 min 52 sec
C. 14 min 58 sec
D. 16 min 6 sec
E. 16 min 12 sec


Time remaining when 10% of session completed = 24 mins and 18 seconds.
Let us covert everything in seconds to calculate the total time.

24 mins 18 seconds = 24*60 + 18 = 1440 + 18 = 1458
90% of time = 1458 seconds.

100% of time = 1458*10/9 = 1620 seconds
40% completed = 60% remaining.
Time remaining = 0.6*1620 = 972seconds = 960 + 12 seconds = 16 minutes 12 seconds.

Correct Option: E
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 18 Jul 2016
Posts: 1
Re: Dara ran on a treadmill that had a readout indicating the time remaini  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 21 Jul 2016, 06:48
8
1
I disregarded the minutes and only focused on the seconds since all answer options have a different seconds count.
18 seconds is 90% --> 20 seconds is 100% --> 60% is 12 seconds --> answer E
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 06 Jan 2015
Posts: 12
Re: Dara ran on a treadmill that had a readout indicating the time remaini  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 22 Jul 2016, 04:21
she completes 90% work in 1458 seconds (24mins and 12 sec)
therefore to complete 60% work (100% Original work - 40% completed)she requires

60*1458= 972 seconds or 16 mins 12 seconds
90
Manager
Manager
avatar
B
Status: Bouncing back from failure
Joined: 08 Mar 2010
Posts: 83
Schools: Wharton,MIT, Tepper, Kelly,
WE 1: 7 years- Service Managament, poject Management, Business Consultant- Retail
Premium Member Reviews Badge
Dara ran on a treadmill that had a readout indicating the time remaini  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 07 Aug 2016, 04:31
11
1
This problem can be done mentally without any calculations

Readout indicated 24 min 18 sec when she had completed 10% of her exercise.

This means remaining 90% of the work will take 24 min 18 sec => 30% will take 8 min 6 sec

so 40% completed i.e. 60% remaining of the work will take (24min 18 sec- 8 min 6 sec)= 16min 12 sec.
So E is the answer
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 24 Aug 2016
Posts: 29
Re: Dara ran on a treadmill that had a readout indicating the time remaini  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 09 Sep 2016, 00:40
X = total time

.9x = 24.3 minutes

x = 24.3/.9
x = 24.3 * 10/9 = 243/9 TOTAL TIME

243/9 * 6/10 = 243/15 = 16 1/5 minutes

16 1/5 minutes = 16 minutes + 12 seconds

Easy math takes 30 seconds.

A very simple conversion to memorize that makes these type of problems super intuitive: .1 hours = 6 minutes. Remembering this equation means you don't need to waste time converting the entire thing to seconds as some have done above.
Manager
Manager
avatar
B
Joined: 24 May 2014
Posts: 95
Location: India
GMAT 1: 590 Q39 V32
GRE 1: Q159 V151

GRE 2: Q159 V153
GPA: 2.9
Re: Dara ran on a treadmill that had a readout indicating the time remaini  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 19 Sep 2016, 10:15
Used the following method:

24 min 18 sec = 10% Completed = 90% remaining
''x'' = 40% Completed = 60% remaining.

Converting the time to seconds: 1458 = 0.9, x = 0.6. Cross multiplying, 1458 x 6/10 = 9/10(x). Solving for 'x', I get 972 secs which is equal to 16 mins 12 secs.
Current Student
User avatar
B
Status: DONE!
Joined: 05 Sep 2016
Posts: 398
Re: Dara ran on a treadmill that had a readout indicating the time remaini  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 06 Dec 2016, 20:57
convert 24 min 18 sec to min --> 0.18 sec = 0.3 min --> 24.3 min

24.3 min is 90% of the total time --> 24.3 = 0.90x --> x = 27min

Question is asking us what the time will be when the clock she has 60% left to run --> 0.60x27min= 16.2min

0.2x0.60 = 12 sec

E.
Manager
Manager
User avatar
B
Joined: 26 Mar 2016
Posts: 77
Location: Greece
GMAT 1: 710 Q51 V34
GPA: 2.9
Reviews Badge
Dara ran on a treadmill that had a readout indicating the time remaini  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 17 Jan 2017, 11:57
I would like an answer from Bunuel right here.
I answered this Q correctly but I dont think that my way of answer is correct.

Let's assume that the 100% of time is an Integer.
Then at 10% of time , x minutes & 42 seconds (as there are 18 seconds remaining) have passed.

So when she will have consumed 40% of her time, there will have passed 4*x minutes + 4*42 seconds.
This solution gives an integer number for minutes for which we do not care about and 4*42 seconds gives us 168 seconds, which is 2 minutes and 48 seconds PASSED in addition to the 4*x minutes.

The only solution that gives us a remainder of X minutes (for which we continue to not care about) and 12 seconds (60-48), is E.

Am I right ? Or I shouldnt have assumed that the total time is an Integer?
Bunuel
_________________

+1 Kudos if you like the post :)

Target Test Prep Representative
User avatar
G
Status: Head GMAT Instructor
Affiliations: Target Test Prep
Joined: 04 Mar 2011
Posts: 2727
Re: Dara ran on a treadmill that had a readout indicating the time remaini  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 23 Jan 2017, 07:05
2
CoffeeCreamSugar wrote:
Dara ran on a treadmill that had a readout indicating the time remaining in her exercise session. When the readout indicated 24 min 18 sec, she had completed 10% of her exercise session. The readout indicated which of the following when she had completed 40% of her exercise session?

A. 10 min 48 sec
B. 14 min 52 sec
C. 14 min 58 sec
D. 16 min 6 sec
E. 16 min 12 sec


We are given that Dara completed 10% of her exercise session when the readout indicated 24 min and 18 seconds as her time remaining. In other words she had 90% left of her workout at that time. We need to determine the readout after she has completed 40% of her exercise, or when she has 60% left.

We can create a proportion to determine the time when Dara has 60% left. First, let’s convert 24 min 18 sec to minutes.

24 min 18 sec = (24 + 18/60) min = (24 + 3/10) min = 24.3 min

We can also express 90 percent as 90/100 = 0.9 and 60 percent as 60/100 = 0.6. We define x as the number of minutes remaining in her workout when she has 60%, or 0.6, of her workout left to do.

Our proportion is as follows:

0.9/24.3 = 0.6/x

9/243 = 0.6/x

9x = 145.8

x = 145.8/9 = 16.2 min

Thus, x = (16 + 2/10) min = (16 + 12/60) min = 16 min 12 sec

Answer: E
_________________

Jeffery Miller
Head of GMAT Instruction

GMAT Quant Self-Study Course
500+ lessons 3000+ practice problems 800+ HD solutions

Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 27 May 2015
Posts: 12
Location: Venezuela
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V40
GPA: 3.76
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Dara ran on a treadmill that had a readout indicating the time remaini  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 25 May 2017, 17:40
1
Although I usually tend to rely on the algebraic approach described for this question by other posters, I want to provide an additional approach.

We are told that 90% of the remaining time equals 24 min and 18 seconds.

We can divide this one 90% portion into three 30% portions:

24 min divided by 3 = 3 portions of 8 min

18 sec divided by 3 = 3 portions of 6 sec

Since 30% + 30% = 60%, we then can make the sum of two of the portions to estimate the remaining time when Dara has completed 40% of the exercise session (or the remaining 60%):

(2 portions of 8 min = 16 min) + (2 portions of 6 sec = 12 sec)

Total = 16 min and 12 sec. Option E.

Hope it helps.
Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 17 Nov 2016
Posts: 18
Location: United States
Schools: Duke Fuqua
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V39
GPA: 3.3
Re: Dara ran on a treadmill that had a readout indicating the time remaini  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 20 Sep 2017, 09:51
1
poppe50 wrote:
I disregarded the minutes and only focused on the seconds since all answer options have a different seconds count.
18 seconds is 90% --> 20 seconds is 100% --> 60% is 12 seconds --> answer E

This approach is incorrect, it gives the correct answer out of luck only because the 60% of the total minutes is an integer.

If you want you can separate them, but should be like this:

(1) 24 mins in 90%. Means that in 60%: 60*24/90 = 16 mins (simplify to calculate that)
(2) 18 secs in 90%. Means that in 60%: 60*18/90 = 12 secs (also simplifying)

if (1) turned out to be a fraction, then the answer would not just rely on the 12 secs you calculated.
Re: Dara ran on a treadmill that had a readout indicating the time remaini &nbs [#permalink] 20 Sep 2017, 09:51

Go to page    1   2    Next  [ 23 posts ] 

Display posts from previous: Sort by

Dara ran on a treadmill that had a readout indicating the time remaini

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Events & Promotions

PREV
NEXT


GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group | Emoji artwork provided by EmojiOne

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.