It is currently 19 Nov 2017, 00:09

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Debrief: My uncomplicated journey from GMAT 690 to 760

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 4 [1], given: 25

Debrief: My uncomplicated journey from GMAT 690 to 760 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 08 Sep 2017, 13:04
This post received
KUDOS
Today I appeared for GMAT the second time and scored a fulfilling 760 (Q50 V41 IR6). I last appeared for GMAT in 2014 and scored 690 (Q49 V35 IR8 AWA 6). As I have from many amazing people on this forum, some of you might learn a tad bit from my experience. Hence, here I am sharing my experience, while listening to Daft Punk.

Duration of preparation: 50 days, 4-5 hours everyday

Material used: GMAT Club Math and Verbal Forums, Practice material from Ivy GMAT, OG 16

Preparation:
I did my basic preparation in the initial 7 days. Then I spent a week just attempting 700-800 level questions on the GMAT Club forums. I extend my Thanks to this amazing community. More than the collection of questions, the discussion on the answers by general members and experts gave way to my approach to questions. I was still giving some mocks along side but not very frequently.

Once i was all set with my basics and approach ( around 15 days), I came into serious mock mode. Mocks and practice questions from OG/Ivy GMAT material on alternate
days till the last day of preparation. I spent 3.5 hours on the test and 1 hour on review for every mock.

Mock Tests and scores:

GMAT Prep Default Pack: Exam 1- 700 (30 days before exam), Exam 2- 720 (5 days before exam)
GMAT Prep Exam Pack 1: Exam 3- 770 (10 days before exam), Exam 4- 750 (2 days before exam)
GMAT Prep Exam Pack 2: Exam 5- 710 (25 days before exam), Exam 6- 760 (20 days before exam)
Kaplan Free Mock: 710 (around a month ago before exam)
Manhattan Free Mock: 710 (around 25 days ago before exam)
Veritas Prep: Test 1: 720, Mock 2: 730
Mocks from @Experts Global : Every alternate day starting one month before the exam: 700, 730, 670, 740, 730 740, 750, 700, 750,750, 700, 750

Feedback on tests: Obviously GMAT's own are the best. But after that @Experts Global is just the closest thing to the actual GMAT. They have 15 tests. Kaplan- too tough, Manahattan- quant is too tough, Veritas- verbal type of questions not very similar to GMAT.

So what worked for me?
- lots and lots of practice of questions and mocks. I did so many questions and mocks for a continuous 40 days that the test day was nothing new.

Tips
- There are two differences between the mocks and the actual GMAT: The pressure is much more in the actual exam. The actual exam is simpler than most of the mocks that you have given. On the test day just balance these two and you will score close to what you scored in your mocks. Just make sure you are taking mocks with reliable score indicators.
- Study regularly as per a schedule but as per your stamina
- If you have an average or above average intelligence, then you too can score 750+ with a 100% certainty. It is just that some of you might need to study 1 month and some 5.
- Do not listen to people when they say that they studied for 20 days for 2-3 hours everyday and scored extraordinarily. As is the case with me, you are not probably as lucky as them. Know your stamina and potential and prepare accordingly. There is zero shame in studying for 6 months if you have to and scoring a 750+.

Please let me know if I can help you in anyway. I would love to give back to this wonderful community. All the best!

Veritas Prep GMAT Discount CodesMagoosh Discount CodesMath Revolution Discount Codes
Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 75

Re: Debrief: My uncomplicated journey from GMAT 690 to 760 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 08 Sep 2017, 13:45
Awesome and congratulations for a great score.
But I was curious to know what selection order you followed during mock and during test.

Sent from my MotoG3 using GMAT Club Forum mobile app

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 75

Manager
Manager
G

Kudos [?]: 47 [0], given: 312

Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
Premium Member Reviews Badge
Debrief: My uncomplicated journey from GMAT 690 to 760 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 08 Sep 2017, 13:55
surbhipuri wrote:
Awesome and congratulations for a great score.
But I was curious to know what selection order you followed during mock and during test.

Sent from my MotoG3 using GMAT Club Forum mobile app

I still prefer the default section. I proceed with the coolest section in order of which is more "cool", AWA, then IR, then no break, move directly into Quant.. then a 5 mins break - then Verbal.

And you are done !!

If you find my posts/replies helpful, please take a moment to click on the "kudos" icon.

Last edited by godot53 on 09 Sep 2017, 04:15, edited 1 time in total.

Kudos [?]: 47 [0], given: 312

1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
B

Re: Debrief: My uncomplicated journey from GMAT 690 to 760 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 09 Sep 2017, 00:09
This post received
KUDOS
Hi Guys, thanks for your wishes. I took the following order: Quant, Verbal, IR, AWA. I need some time to get into the flow of the test. Since Quant is my comparatively stronger point I rather that I start with Quant. Also as I reach the end of the paper, my concentration and dtamna wears away. Hence I take the IR and AWA at the end.

Re: Debrief: My uncomplicated journey from GMAT 690 to 760   [#permalink] 09 Sep 2017, 00:09

Debrief: My uncomplicated journey from GMAT 690 to 760

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Moderators: EMPOWERgmatRichC, ydmuley, bb

HOT DEALS FOR NOVEMBER
Economist GMAT - Free Free 1-week trial + Free Test
Kaplan Courses - Save $475 $225 Discount + $250 Bonus
Target Test Prep - $800 $50 Discount + $750 Bonus [GMAT Club
Tests and Premium MBA Bundle]
EMPOWERgmat - $99/mo GMAT Club tests included 2nd month
GMAT Club Tests - Free Included with every course purchase
of $149 or more - Full List is here

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap