Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 19:48 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 19:48

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Given Kudos: 66
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 95
GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V40
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 89 [0]
Given Kudos: 8
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Given Kudos: 44
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V38
GPA: 4
Send PM
Re: Declining values for farm equipment and land, the collateral against [#permalink]
I understand that the sentence used 'declining values' - but isn't this trend of declining values forcing lenders to stop lending? If so, shouldn't we use 'is' and not 'are'? Or are we supposed to see 'values' in there and then blindly assume that it's plural and we need to use 'are' over 'is'
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 43
Send PM
Re: Declining values for farm equipment and land, the collateral against [#permalink]
Is D modifying "land", "land and farm equipment", or "declining values"? Originally thought "land", but given that it is part of a prepositional pharse, I imagine this is wrong. Would really appreciate some help!!:)
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 3528 [0]
Given Kudos: 149
Schools: ISB
GPA: 3.31
Send PM
Expert Reply
HansJK wrote:
Is D modifying "land", "land and farm equipment", or "declining values"? Originally thought "land", but given that it is part of a prepositional pharse, I imagine this is wrong. Would really appreciate some help!!:)

Hi HansJK, if your doubt is whether which can modify something in a prepositional phrase, then the answer is definitely yes. There are numerous official examples, with which modifying words in prepositional phrases.

p.s. Our book EducationAisle Sentence Correction Nirvana discusses modifier issues of "which", their application and examples in significant detail. If you or someone is interested, PM me your email-id; I can mail the corresponding section.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
EducationAisle wrote:
HansJK wrote:

Hi HansJK, if your doubt is whether which can modify something in a prepositional phrase, then the answer is definitely yes. There are numerous official examples, with which modifying words in prepositional phrases.

p.s. Our book EducationAisle Sentence Correction Nirvana discusses modifier issues of "which", their application and examples in significant detail. If you or someone is interested, PM me your email-id; I can mail the corresponding section.

Thanks for that rapid response! So, to judge whether which modifies the subject of the sentence or the object of a prepositional phrase, we have to simply decide what makes the most sense?
Also, can which modify two preciding nouns? For instance: Mike and Simon, which are best friends...?
CEO
CEO
Send PM
Expert Reply
HansJK wrote:
So, to judge whether which modifies the subject of the sentence or the object of a prepositional phrase, we have to simply decide what makes the most sense?

Nops; which modifies the nearest grammatical eligible word.

An officially incorrect example:

It is called a sea, but the landlocked Caspian is actually the largest lake on Earth, which covers more than four times the surface area of its closest rival in size, North America's Lake Superior.

Official explanation: Because Earth immediately precedes which, the sentence appears to say, illogically, that Earth covers more than four times the surface area of Lake Superior.

Quote:
Also, can which modify two preciding nouns? For instance: Mike and Simon, which are best friends...?

Your example is incorrect, because which can only modify "non-persons", while "Mike and Simon" are obviously persons.

Correct sentence will be:

Mike and Simon, who are best friends....

However, if your question is whether which can modify two entities, then the answer is yes. An officially correct example:

Unlike the shuttle and earlier spacecraft, which were capable of carrying sufficient power in fuel cells and batteries for their short flights, a permanently orbiting space station will have to generate its own electricity.
- which is modifying the shuttle and earlier spacecraft.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
EducationAisle wrote:
HansJK wrote:
So, to judge whether which modifies the subject of the sentence or the object of a prepositional phrase, we have to simply decide what makes the most sense?

Nops; which modifies the nearest grammatical eligible word.

An officially incorrect example:

It is called a sea, but the landlocked Caspian is actually the largest lake on Earth, which covers more than four times the surface area of its closest rival in size, North America's Lake Superior.

Official explanation: Because Earth immediately precedes which, the sentence appears to say, illogically, that Earth covers more than four times the surface area of Lake Superior.

Quote:

Your example is incorrect, because which can only modify "non-persons", while "Mike and Simon" are obviously persons.

Correct sentence will be:

Mike and Simon, who are best friends....

However, if your question is whether which can modify two entities, then the answer is yes. An officially correct example:

Unlike the shuttle and earlier spacecraft, which were capable of carrying sufficient power in fuel cells and batteries for their short flights, a permanently orbiting space station will have to generate its own electricity.
- which is modifying the shuttle and earlier spacecraft.

Thank you, this is very helpful!

One point of confusion. This is correct according to the OG: "Emily Dickinson’s letters to Susan Huntington Dickinson, which were written over a period beginning a few years before Susan’s marriage to Emily’s brother and ending shortly before Emily’s death in 1886, outnumber..."

Is Susan Dickinson not, in your words, the "nearest grammatical eligible word"?
CEO
CEO
Send PM
Expert Reply
HansJK wrote:
One point of confusion. This is correct according to the OG: "Emily Dickinson’s letters to Susan Huntington Dickinson, which were written over a period beginning a few years before Susan’s marriage to Emily’s brother and ending shortly before Emily’s death in 1886, outnumber..."

Is Susan Dickinson not, in your words, the "nearest grammatical eligible word"?

Hi HansJK, in the above sentence, Susan Huntington Dickinson is not grammatically eligible, for two reasons:

i) As mentioned in my above post, which can only modify non-persons, while Susan Huntington Dickinson is clearly a person

ii) The sentence says: "which were". The presence of plural verb were clearly indicates that which must modify something plural (while while Susan Huntington Dickinson is singular).
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 16 [0]
Given Kudos: 50
Send PM
E is the answer. A fairly easy question once we spot a few things.

"Declining values for equipment and land" ---> plural, and hence should be "...ARE going to force". Therefore, ABC are out.

Now, between D and E. Besides the fact that D awkwardly says "collateral...borrow against" which is redundant, the more blatant issue is the modifier. COLLATERAL modifies equipment and land and hence it must come after the comma.

D is out, E is our winner.

Posted from my mobile device
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [0]
Given Kudos: 413
GMAT 1: 690 Q49 V34
Send PM
EducationAisle wrote:
honchos wrote:
Declining is a gerund here, what is verbing participle?

It is not used as a gerund (noun) here; it is used as an "adjective" ("-ing" form of verb, used as an adjective, is called participle).

How to check if its a Gerund or an adjective in such questions?

Gagan
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 423
GMAT 1: 680 Q48 V35
Send PM
1. in D, why can't "which farmers use as a collateral to borrow against" modify farm equipment and land given that comma+which modifies the immediately preceding entity.

2. If your answer to 1 is that it is not modifying farm and equipment and instead modifies Declining Values, then why and how can we say that "the collateral against which farmers borrow... are" [from option (E)] is modifying farm and equipment and not declining values.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 92 [0]
Given Kudos: 646
GMAT 1: 490 Q42 V17
GMAT 2: 550 Q39 V27
GMAT 3: 630 Q49 V27
Send PM
"Declining values" shouldn't be used as singular ? Why are we using "are" instead of "is" ?
I am so confused on how "Declining values" is used in this sentence.
Can anyone please help me?

GMATNinja VeritasKarishma
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 28 [0]
Given Kudos: 90
Send PM
leeye84 wrote:
Declining values for farm equipment and land, the collateral against which farmers borrow to get through the harvest season, is going to force many lenders to tighten or deny credit this spring.

(A) the collateral against which farmers borrow to get through the harvest season, is
(B) which farmers use as collateral to borrow against to get through the harvest season, is
(C) the collateral which is borrowed against by farmers to get through the harvest season, is
(D) which farmers use as collateral to borrow against to get through the harvest season, are
(E) the collateral against which farmers borrow to get through the harvest season, are

https://www.nytimes.com/1983/01/16/us/in-farm-belt-fear-of-foreclosures-rises.html

Bankers here say that loan delinquencies, already triple what they were a year ago, could reach 10 times normal levels. Meanwhile, declining values for farm equipment and land - the collateral against which farmers borrow to get through the harvest season - is going to force many lenders to tighten or deny credit this spring.

Question1:
Declining values for farm equipment and land, the collateral against which farmers borrow to get through the harvest season, is going to force many lenders to tighten or deny credit this spring.

(D) which farmers use as collateral to borrow against to get through the harvest season, are
(E) the collateral against which farmers borrow to get through the harvest season, are

In E what does the appositive "collateral" really modify - "declining values..." or "farm equipment and land".

Question2:
If I changed (D) to the below

(D) which farmers use as collateral to get through the harvest season, are

Now from the above two which would you choose as the answer?

Cheers
Gmatrant

Hi VeritasKarishma CrackVerbalGMAT GMATNinja egmat GMATNinjaTwo manhattan Magoosh

Please help.
Does "which" in option D refers to "Declining values" since "farm equipment and land" is under prepositional phrase("for...") or "which" in option D refers to "farm equipment and land"? Also, does the use of word "collateral" and "borrow" simultaneously in a sentence correct as someone pointed out in explanation that use of both word simultaneously is a redundant thing.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 28 [0]
Given Kudos: 90
Send PM
GMATNinja wrote:
AkhilAggarwal wrote:
leeye84 wrote:

(A) the collateral against which farmers borrow to get through the harvest season, is
(B) which farmers use as collateral to borrow against to get through the harvest season, is
(C) the collateral which is borrowed against by farmers to get through the harvest season, is

https://www.nytimes.com/1983/01/16/us/in-farm-belt-fear-of-foreclosures-rises.html

Bankers here say that loan delinquencies, already triple what they were a year ago, could reach 10 times normal levels. Meanwhile, declining values for farm equipment and land - the collateral against which farmers borrow to get through the harvest season - is going to force many lenders to tighten or deny credit this spring.

Question1:

In E what does the appositive "collateral" really modify - "declining values..." or "farm equipment and land".

Question2:
If I changed (D) to the below

(D) which farmers use as collateral to get through the harvest season, are

Now from the above two which would you choose as the answer?

Cheers
Gmatrant

Hi VeritasKarishma CrackVerbalGMAT GMATNinja egmat GMATNinjaTwo manhattan Magoosh

Please help.
Does "which" in option D refers to "Declining values" since "farm equipment and land" is under prepositional phrase("for...") or "which" in option D refers to "farm equipment and land"? Also, does the use of word "collateral" and "borrow" simultaneously in a sentence correct as someone pointed out in explanation that use of both word simultaneously is a redundant thing.

When "which" follows a noun phrase that involves a preposition, there's no rule that tells us what it's describing. We have to use logic.

Here, it makes more sense for "which" to refer to "equipment and land" as "declining values" pretty clearly couldn't be used as collateral. So "which" isn't inherently wrong here.

And I wouldn't say that "borrow" and "collateral" are redundant. After all, they both show up in every option.

The issues with (D) can be seen most clearly by doing a side-by-side comparison with (E). In (D) the land and equipment are described by the modifier "which farmers use as collateral..." But why use the clunky phrase, "which farmers use as collateral" when you could just call the land and equipment "collateral" directly, as (E) does?

Also, the first time I read (D), I stumbled over the phrase "collateral to borrow," thinking for a moment that the farmers were borrowing collateral, an interpretation that makes no sense. If you read (D) again in its entirety, you can see that this isn't what the writer means, but (E) gets rid of the problematic phrase entirely and spares the reader this confusion.

So I wouldn't say that (D) has a definitive error, necessarily, but (E) is clearer and more concise, and therefore better.

I hope that helps!

Thank you GMATNinja for the reply
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Given Kudos: 70
Send PM
Declining values for farm equipment and land, the collateral against [#permalink]
https://gmatclub.com/forum/while-depres ... 18708.html

In this question "property values" is plural, and here "Declining values" has a verb "is", which is singular.

Originally posted by vishnugmatgupta on 27 Oct 2021, 00:24.
Last edited by vishnugmatgupta on 27 Oct 2021, 10:46, edited 1 time in total.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 4654 [0]
Given Kudos: 632
GMAT Focus 1:
715 Q83 V90 DI83
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V169
Send PM
Expert Reply
vishnugmatgupta wrote:
https://gmatclub.com/forum/while-depressed-property-values-can-hurt-some-large-investors-they-18708.html

In this question "property values" is plural, and here "Declining values" has a verb "is", which is singular.

Please shed some light on "values"! GMATNinja egmat

Hi vishnugmatgupta,

There's an are at the end of the correct option.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Given Kudos: 70
Send PM
AjiteshArun wrote:
vishnugmatgupta wrote:
https://gmatclub.com/forum/while-depressed-property-values-can-hurt-some-large-investors-they-18708.html

Please shed some light on "values"! GMATNinja egmat

Hi vishnugmatgupta,

There's an are at the end of the correct option.

Oh yes! i am so sorry!!….Thanks🙌🏼

Posted from my mobile device
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 207 [0]
Given Kudos: 189
Send PM
Declining values for farm equipment and land, the collateral against [#permalink]
Hi AjiteshArun DmitryFarber MartyTargetTestPrep sayantanc2k
In E – I don’t understand the usage of the word “collateral - against”

Shouldn’t the usage be “as collateral”
- I used my car as collateral to get a loan
- I put up my home as collateral to get a loan

Is collateral against : some sort of passive voice usage perhaps ?

[/quote]

Originally posted by jabhatta2 on 03 Mar 2022, 09:33.
Last edited by jabhatta2 on 03 Mar 2022, 12:57, edited 1 time in total.
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3   4   5   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6923 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts