GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 14 Oct 2019, 00:06

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Depending on if its infrastructure can hold up the dilapidated buildin

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Find Similar Topics 
Retired Moderator
User avatar
D
Joined: 30 Jan 2015
Posts: 798
Location: India
Concentration: Operations, Marketing
GPA: 3.5
Depending on if its infrastructure can hold up the dilapidated buildin  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 Jan 2019, 12:09
4
6
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

  5% (low)

Question Stats:

84% (01:01) correct 16% (01:11) wrong based on 268 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Project SC Butler: Day 71: Sentence Correction (SC1)


For SC butler Questions Click Here

Depending on if its infrastructure can hold up the dilapidated building for another year, the city council may hold a special place in the budget for future repairs instead of immediately giving several million dollars to the mayor, though his arguments were sound.

(A) Depending on if its infrastructure

(B) Depending on if their infrastructure

(C) Depending on whether its infrastructure

(D) Whether it depends on infrastructure, just that it

(E) it's depending that the infrastructure

The best/excellent answers get kudos, which will be awarded after the answer is revealed.
There may be no best/excellent answers, or a there may be a few excellent answers!

_________________
The few, the fearless !

Thanks :-)
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
P
Status: eternal student
Joined: 06 Mar 2018
Posts: 292
Location: Kazakhstan
GPA: 3.87
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Depending on if its infrastructure can hold up the dilapidated buildin  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 17 Jan 2019, 00:18
1
2
sudarshan22 wrote:

Project SC Butler: Day 71: Sentence Correction (SC1)


For SC butler Questions Click Here

Depending on if its infrastructure can hold up the dilapidated building for another year, the city council may hold a special place in the budget for future repairs instead of immediately giving several million dollars to the mayor, though his arguments were sound.



Let’s start this way, we eliminate (D) and (E) because we need DC or modifier, which precedes IC.

To understand intended meaning of the sentence let’s understand the difference between “if” and “whether”, to me it’s essential here.
--------
Explanation by KasiaEconomistGMAT-->
"If" is used to present Conditionals only.
“Whether" is used when there is a choice between two possibilities dealing with the same subject.
So If you see "if" in a sentence and there's no condition, you should find an answer choice that uses "whether."

Next Mister Mike perfectly explains difference between them -->

EducationAisle wrote:
p.s. Our book EducationAisle Sentence Correction Nirvana has a section that discusses whether vs if. Have attached the corresponding section of the book, for your reference.
Hope EducationAisle doesn't mind if I put it here for more detail :)
Attachment:
If vs. Whether.JPG
If vs. Whether.JPG [ 98.19 KiB | Viewed 1692 times ]

---------

Once we assimilate all this we came back to our sentence, pronoun "their"-plural (B) doesn't agree in number with "the city council"-singular. Hence (B is out). Moreover we doesn't want "if" here.

(B) Depending on if their infrastructure

Between (D) and (E)

(D) Whether it depends on infrastructure, just that it
Attachment:
Whether.JPG
Whether.JPG [ 24.54 KiB | Viewed 1683 times ]


(E) it's depending that the infrastructure
(this is IC, so 2 IC cinnected with "," single comma, incorrect, "it"-placeholder it's fine, but now sentence has changed its original meaning, we don't have a choice, analternative or a possibility, hence out)


We've left with this two, structure is identical, "its"-correctly refers to "the city council" and agrees in number, the only battle is between "if" and "whether"

(A) Depending on if its infrastructure
(C) Depending on whether its infrastructure

Let's see our full sentence with (C)

Depending on whether its infrastructure can hold up the dilapidated building for another year, the city council may hold a special place in the budget for future repairs instead of immediately giving several million dollars to the mayor, though his arguments were sound.

Opening modifier "depending" modifies "the city council", it's wright The city council depends on its infrustructure.
"whether" presents the possibility that this infrustructure can hold up the ramshackle building for another year or not. So the city council keep some money for emergency case if this building will collapse. Moreover the city council didn't give any found to the mayor, though his arguments were sound.


With all above (C) is the answer


sudarshan22 thank you for this question, it challenges and helps me a lot :thumbup:
Attachments

Whether Vs If.pdf [16.44 KiB]
Downloaded 20 times

To download please login or register as a user


_________________
My SC approach flowchart

(no one is ideal, please correct if you see any mistakes or gaps in my explanation, it will be helpful for both of us, thank you)

___________________
"Nothing in this life is to be feared, it is only to be understood"
~ Marie Curie
Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 27 Jun 2018
Posts: 22
Location: Pakistan
Re: Depending on if its infrastructure can hold up the dilapidated buildin  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 17 Jan 2019, 00:40
Depending on if its infrastructure can hold up the dilapidated building for another year, the city council may hold a special place in the budget for future repairs instead of immediately giving several million dollars to the mayor, though his arguments were sound.

(A) Depending on if its infrastructure "if" is used for conditional sentences. Since the sentence does not present any condition, eliminate A

(B) Depending on if their infrastructure "their" is plural. We are looking for the singular "its"

(C) Depending on whether its infrastructure "Whether" is correct in this case, since it is used when there are two alternate possibilities

(D) Whether it depends on infrastructure, just that it Nonsensical clause

(E) it's depending that the infrastructure Nonsensical clause

Correct answer is C
_________________
Need Kudos to unlock next tier. Please give Kudos if you found my reply helpful. TIA!
Manager
Manager
avatar
G
Joined: 11 Jul 2016
Posts: 78
Location: India
Concentration: General Management, Technology
GPA: 4
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Re: Depending on if its infrastructure can hold up the dilapidated buildin  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 17 Jan 2019, 09:34
IMO, Option C.

(A) Depending on if its infrastructure
Need "whether" instead of "If"

(B) Depending on if their infrastructure
Need "whether" instead of "If"

(C) Depending on whether its infrastructure
Uses whether. Uses -ing for modifying City. Sounds good enough.

(D) Whether it depends on infrastructure, just that it
Condition is wrong.
City holding a special place does not depend on infrastructure, but depends on how infrastructure can hold xyz.

(E) it's depending that the infrastructure
Whether is not used for providing any condition. Moreover, it's a little scary :)
_________________
Please give Kudos if you find this post useful.
Retired Moderator
User avatar
D
Joined: 30 Jan 2015
Posts: 798
Location: India
Concentration: Operations, Marketing
GPA: 3.5
Re: Depending on if its infrastructure can hold up the dilapidated buildin  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 17 Jan 2019, 23:12
Official Explanation :

The original sentence has an error because depending on if is not the correct idiom. If should only be used for conditionals; when two options are available, use whether. Therefore eliminate (A) and (B).

Choices (D) and (E) are jumbled and force rest of the sentence to be incorrect grammatically.

Choice (C) contains the correct idiom, depending on whether. The correct answer is (C).
_________________
The few, the fearless !

Thanks :-)
Intern
Intern
avatar
S
Joined: 05 Apr 2017
Posts: 13
GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V40
GMAT 2: 740 Q49 V41
GPA: 3.9
Reviews Badge
Depending on if its infrastructure can hold up the dilapidated buildin  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 07 Feb 2019, 22:05
sudarshan22 wrote:
Official Explanation :

The original sentence has an error because depending on if is not the correct idiom. If should only be used for conditionals; when two options are available, use whether. Therefore eliminate (A) and (B).

Choices (D) and (E) are jumbled and force rest of the sentence to be incorrect grammatically.

Choice (C) contains the correct idiom, depending on whether. The correct answer is (C).


I have one query, is the usage of "it's" in the correct answer appropriate? In the sentence "it's" cannot logically refer to the city council and it is probably meant to refer to city, but here city acts as an adjective modifying council. Would be happy if anyone can respond. Thanks in advance.
Senior SC Moderator
avatar
V
Joined: 22 May 2016
Posts: 3536
Depending on if its infrastructure can hold up the dilapidated buildin  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 07 Feb 2019, 22:49
1
vikeshv wrote:
sudarshan22 wrote:
Official Explanation :

The original sentence has an error because depending on if is not the correct idiom. If should only be used for conditionals; when two options are available, use whether. Therefore eliminate (A) and (B).

Choices (D) and (E) are jumbled and force rest of the sentence to be incorrect grammatically.

Choice (C) contains the correct idiom, depending on whether. The correct answer is (C).


I have one query, is the usage of "it's" in the correct answer appropriate? In the sentence "it's" cannot logically refer to the city council and it is probably meant to refer to city, but here city acts as an adjective modifying council. Would be happy if anyone can respond. Thanks in advance.

vikeshv , from which post are you getting the idea that option C contains the word "it's"?

You are correct that it's would be wrong.

The correct answer is C.

The options are below. I am a little confused. :?


sudarshan22 wrote:
Depending on if its infrastructure can hold up the dilapidated building for another year, the city council may hold a special place in the budget for future repairs instead of immediately giving several million dollars to the mayor, though his arguments were sound.

(A) Depending on if its infrastructure
(B) Depending on if their infrastructure

(C) Depending on whether its infrastructure

(D) Whether it depends on infrastructure, just that it
(E) it's depending that the infrastructure

_________________
SC Butler has resumed! Get two SC questions to practice, whose links you can find by date, here.




Choose life.
Intern
Intern
avatar
S
Joined: 05 Apr 2017
Posts: 13
GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V40
GMAT 2: 740 Q49 V41
GPA: 3.9
Reviews Badge
Re: Depending on if its infrastructure can hold up the dilapidated buildin  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 08 Feb 2019, 19:24
generis wrote:
vikeshv wrote:
sudarshan22 wrote:
Official Explanation :

The original sentence has an error because depending on if is not the correct idiom. If should only be used for conditionals; when two options are available, use whether. Therefore eliminate (A) and (B).

Choices (D) and (E) are jumbled and force rest of the sentence to be incorrect grammatically.

Choice (C) contains the correct idiom, depending on whether. The correct answer is (C).


I have one query, is the usage of "it's" in the correct answer appropriate? In the sentence "it's" cannot logically refer to the city council and it is probably meant to refer to city, but here city acts as an adjective modifying council. Would be happy if anyone can respond. Thanks in advance.

vikeshv , from which post are you getting the idea that option C contains the word "it's"?

You are correct that it's would be wrong.


The correct answer is C.

The options are below. I am a little confused. :?


sudarshan22 wrote:
Depending on if its infrastructure can hold up the dilapidated building for another year, the city council may hold a special place in the budget for future repairs instead of immediately giving several million dollars to the mayor, though his arguments were sound.

(A) Depending on if its infrastructure
(B) Depending on if their infrastructure

(C) Depending on whether its infrastructure

(D) Whether it depends on infrastructure, just that it
(E) it's depending that the infrastructure


Apologies Generis..I was referring to "its" and not "it's".
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
P
Joined: 12 Dec 2015
Posts: 427
Re: Depending on if its infrastructure can hold up the dilapidated buildin  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 27 Apr 2019, 07:07
Depending on if its infrastructure can hold up the dilapidated building for another year, the city council may hold a special place in the budget for future repairs instead of immediately giving several million dollars to the mayor, though his arguments were sound.

(A) Depending on if its infrastructure --> "Depending on whether" is correct

(B) Depending on if their infrastructure --> same as A

(C) Depending on whether its infrastructure -> correct

(D) Whether it depends on infrastructure, just that it --> awkward

(E) it's depending that the infrastructure--> awkward
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Depending on if its infrastructure can hold up the dilapidated buildin   [#permalink] 27 Apr 2019, 07:07
Display posts from previous: Sort by

Depending on if its infrastructure can hold up the dilapidated buildin

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  





Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group | Emoji artwork provided by EmojiOne