GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 16 Oct 2018, 17:57

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Desert are inhabited with several distinct animal species, with each t

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Manager
Manager
Desert are inhabited with several distinct animal species, with each t  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 20 Aug 2009, 03:18
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

5% (low)

Question Stats:

87% (00:45) correct 13% (01:00) wrong based on 537 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Desert are inhabited with several distinct animal species, with each their own method of adapting to long periods of moisture shortage.

A. with several distinct animal species
B. with distinctly several animal species, each with its
C. by several distinct animal species, each with its
D. by several distinct animal species, having each its
E. by several distinct animal species, that each has their
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Re: Desert are inhabited with several distinct animal species, with each t  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 20 Aug 2009, 03:34
I think in D having modifies Deserts rather than species. IMO the key is the comma before having, which makes having modify the completely clause before it.

Compare

Scientists have found evidence suggesting that ...

Scientists have found evidence, suggesting

This might not be a good example but in the first sentence suggesting refers to evidence, whereas in the second suggesting modifies the whole clause and refers to Scientists.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Re: Desert are inhabited with several distinct animal species, with each t  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 21 Aug 2009, 01:17
I choose C because I think sentence is a passive construct and hence we need a by
and having each its sounds awkward
Director
Director

Show Tags

New post 08 Aug 2013, 03:08
Just curious E has multiple errors "their" is incorrect but in this option "that" and "each" are referring to the same thing? ---> animal species

Click +1 Kudos if my post helped...

Amazing Free video explanation for all Quant questions from OG 13 and much more http://www.gmatquantum.com/og13th/

GMAT Prep software What if scenarios http://gmatclub.com/forum/gmat-prep-software-analysis-and-what-if-scenarios-146146.html

e-GMAT Representative
G

Show Tags

New post 08 Aug 2013, 07:01
fozzzy wrote:
Just curious E has multiple errors "their" is incorrect but in this option "that" and "each" are referring to the same thing? ---> animal species

Hi fozzy,

Let’s insert choice E in the original sentence and then analyze it:

Desert are inhabited by several distinct animal species, that each has their own method of adapting to long periods of moisture shortage.

Yes, you are correct in saying that “that” and “each” both refer to “distinct animal species”. We don’t need the relative pronoun “that” the here because the sentence does not intend to talk about “distinct animal species” collectively.

Also use of comma before “that” is not acceptable. And as you have identified already, use of plural “their” is incorrect.

Hope this helps. :)
Thanks.
Shraddha

| '4 out of Top 5' Instructors on gmatclub | 70 point improvement guarantee | www.e-gmat.com

Director
Director

Show Tags

New post 08 Aug 2013, 07:06
egmat wrote:

Also use of comma before “that” is not acceptable. And as you have identified already, use of plural “their” is incorrect.

Thanks.
Shraddha

Is this always incorrect on the GMAT?

Click +1 Kudos if my post helped...

Amazing Free video explanation for all Quant questions from OG 13 and much more http://www.gmatquantum.com/og13th/

GMAT Prep software What if scenarios http://gmatclub.com/forum/gmat-prep-software-analysis-and-what-if-scenarios-146146.html

e-GMAT Representative
G

Show Tags

New post 08 Aug 2013, 07:20
fozzzy wrote:
egmat wrote:

Thanks.
Shraddha

Is this always incorrect on the GMAT?

Hi fozzy,

Well, generally on GMAT, a "that clause" provides the information that is important for the overall logical meaning of the sentence. Hence, a "that clause" is never preceded by a comma on GMAT. I am yet to see an official sentence in which a "that clause" is preceded by a comma.

Thanks. :)
Shraddha

| '4 out of Top 5' Instructors on gmatclub | 70 point improvement guarantee | www.e-gmat.com

Intern
Intern
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT Date: 07-28-2015
GPA: 3.29
WE: Operations (Commercial Banking)

Show Tags

New post 10 Jul 2015, 01:24
In my opinion, the correct answer is C.

Desert are inhabited with several distinct animal species, with each their own method of adapting to long periods of moisture shortage.

A. with several distinct animal species -> inhabited by, not with, passive voice, and another error is that each and their not parallel .
B. with distinctly several animal species, each with its -> inhabited by, not with, distinct is correct.
C. by several distinct animal species, each with its -> the correct answer, "by" used in the passive voice, each with its : parallel
D. by several distinct animal species, having each its -> " having each its" sounds awkward
E. by several distinct animal species, that each has their -> the wrong answer, each and their not parallel.

Hope that helps !!!

STRIVING FOR THE 700+ IN THE TEST NEXT MONTH, GOD BLESS ME !!!
I HAVE TO TRY MY BEST IRRESPECTIVE OF THE OBSTACLES I WILL ENCOUNTER. HOPE FOR THE BEST TO COME !!!

Manager
Manager
GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V41

Show Tags

New post 12 Jul 2015, 03:03
[quote="fozzzy"][quote="egmat"]

Also use of comma before “that” is not acceptable. And as you have identified already, use of plur

According to English grammar, 'that' is used ONLY in restrictive (or essential) relative clauses; these clauses are not separated from the noun they modify by a comma.
Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 12 Jul 2015, 17:12
It's (C).

(D) won't make sense if you take "having each its..." as an absolute phrase, as the phrase modifies "desert" instead of "different species". Whereas, (C) drops the use of the noun modifier "in which" out of redundancy, since "each" immediately precedes the noun "different species".
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
B
Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 21 Sep 2018, 00:11
One another point that people fail to focus on is the differentiation between "distinct" and "distinctly" - One way in which GMAT wonderfully plays with the basics of Grammar.

Words with "ly" at the end are usually adverbs. Hence the word "distinctly" in Option B modifies the adjective "several". This makes Option B wrong.

The take-away from this question is this - Next time when you see the same word with an "ly" in one option and without an "ly" in another option the rule tested is that of adjectives and adverbs.

Hope that helps.

Thanks.

Dudyala Saikiran
Byju's GMAT Expert.

GMAT Mentors

GMAT Club Bot
Re: Desert are inhabited with several distinct animal species, with each t &nbs [#permalink] 21 Sep 2018, 00:11

Desert are inhabited with several distinct animal species, with each t

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap