Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 15:41 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 15:41

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1088 [28]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
e-GMAT Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 30796 [7]
Given Kudos: 635
GMAT Date: 08-19-2020
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1485 [5]
Given Kudos: 9
 Q50  V40
Send PM
General Discussion
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 723 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Re: Desert are inhabited with several distinct animal species, with each t [#permalink]
I choose C because I think sentence is a passive construct and hence we need a by
and having each its sounds awkward
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 6042 [0]
Given Kudos: 543
Send PM
Re: Desert are inhabited with several distinct animal species, with each t [#permalink]
Just curious E has multiple errors "their" is incorrect but in this option "that" and "each" are referring to the same thing? ---> animal species
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 6042 [0]
Given Kudos: 543
Send PM
egmat wrote:

Also use of comma before “that” is not acceptable. And as you have identified already, use of plural “their” is incorrect.

Hope this helps. :)
Thanks.
Shraddha

Is this always incorrect on the GMAT?
e-GMAT Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 30796 [2]
Given Kudos: 635
GMAT Date: 08-19-2020
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
fozzzy wrote:
egmat wrote:

Also use of comma before “that” is not acceptable. And as you have identified already, use of plural “their” is incorrect.

Hope this helps. :)
Thanks.
Shraddha

Is this always incorrect on the GMAT?

Hi fozzy,

Well, generally on GMAT, a "that clause" provides the information that is important for the overall logical meaning of the sentence. Hence, a "that clause" is never preceded by a comma on GMAT. I am yet to see an official sentence in which a "that clause" is preceded by a comma.

Thanks. :)
Shraddha
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [3]
Given Kudos: 6
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT Date: 07-28-2015
GPA: 3.29
WE:Operations (Commercial Banking)
Send PM
Bookmarks
In my opinion, the correct answer is C.

Desert are inhabited with several distinct animal species, with each their own method of adapting to long periods of moisture shortage.

A. with several distinct animal species -> inhabited by, not with, passive voice, and another error is that each and their not parallel .
B. with distinctly several animal species, each with its -> inhabited by, not with, distinct is correct.
C. by several distinct animal species, each with its -> the correct answer, "by" used in the passive voice, each with its : parallel
D. by several distinct animal species, having each its -> " having each its" sounds awkward
E. by several distinct animal species, that each has their -> the wrong answer, each and their not parallel.

Hope that helps !!!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 161 [0]
Given Kudos: 260
GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V41
Send PM
[quote="fozzzy"][quote="egmat"]

Also use of comma before “that” is not acceptable. And as you have identified already, use of plur

According to English grammar, 'that' is used ONLY in restrictive (or essential) relative clauses; these clauses are not separated from the noun they modify by a comma.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 107 [0]
Given Kudos: 40
Send PM
It's (C).

(D) won't make sense if you take "having each its..." as an absolute phrase, as the phrase modifies "desert" instead of "different species". Whereas, (C) drops the use of the noun modifier "in which" out of redundancy, since "each" immediately precedes the noun "different species".
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 284 [2]
Given Kudos: 15
Send PM
Kudos
One another point that people fail to focus on is the differentiation between "distinct" and "distinctly" - One way in which GMAT wonderfully plays with the basics of Grammar.

Words with "ly" at the end are usually adverbs. Hence the word "distinctly" in Option B modifies the adjective "several". This makes Option B wrong.

The take-away from this question is this - Next time when you see the same word with an "ly" in one option and without an "ly" in another option the rule tested is that of adjectives and adverbs.

Hope that helps.

Thanks.

Dudyala Saikiran
Byju's GMAT Expert.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 1322 [0]
Given Kudos: 143
GMAT 1: 670 Q46 V36
GMAT 2: 690 Q47 V38
GMAT 3: 690 Q48 V37
GMAT 4: 710 Q49 V38 (Online)
Send PM
joyseychow wrote:
Desert are inhabited with several distinct animal species, with each their own method of adapting to long periods of moisture shortage.

A. with several distinct animal species
B. with distinctly several animal species, each with its
C. by several distinct animal species, each with its
D. by several distinct animal species, having each its
E. by several distinct animal species, that each has their

A. with several distinct animal species - Wrong: "their"
B. with distinctly several animal species, each with its - Wrong: Modifier
C. by several distinct animal species, each with its - Correct
D. by several distinct animal species, having each its - Wrong: Meaning
E. by several distinct animal species, that each has their - Wrong: "their" 2) ", that"
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 207 [0]
Given Kudos: 189
Send PM
Hi avigutman - clearly something wrong in my logic.

In (C), several and distinct are both adjectives to the noun : animal species

But then, isnt "Several" as an adjective redundant ? If you have "distinct" animal species, dont you by implication have "several" animal species ?

If you have "distinct" animal species (Cats, dogs, lions, tigers = all of these are distinct animal species) -- you by definition have "several" animal species

Originally posted by jabhatta2 on 31 May 2022, 09:34.
Last edited by jabhatta2 on 31 May 2022, 11:12, edited 5 times in total.
VP
VP
Send PM
Alternatively - i thought the adverb (distinctly) in (B) makes **more** sense.

Isnt this an example where distinctly is modifying the adjective several

There are distinctions WITHIN the several animal species
Attachments

Pic 5.JPG
Pic 5.JPG [ 35.29 KiB | Viewed 6564 times ]

Manhattan Prep Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 7775 [1]
Given Kudos: 55
GMAT 2: 780  Q50  V50
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
jabhatta2

We can never say "distinctly several." This wouldn't convey any legitimate meaning. Either we have several things or we don't. There's nothing to be distinct there.

As to your interpretation, we don't know which species are meant here, but "distinct species" simply means that they are clearly different from each other. You are listing out subspecies (e.g. several different varieties of Panthera leo). These wouldn't count as "distinct species," so that can't be what the sentence is trying to say. Cats and dogs are distinct species, but retrievers and bulldogs are not. If the sentence wanted to talk about distinctions within species, that would need to be spelled out. Just adding "distinctly" to "several" does not turn it into "several distinct animals within a given species."
VP
VP
Send PM
Hi DmitryFarber - thank you for responding.

Just wondering then -- what do you think is the difference between
(i) several distinct animal species
vs
(ii) distinct animal species

Both frankly seem to be the same to me (going to my first point re: reduduncy regarding several in the phrase : several distinct animal species )

Originally posted by jabhatta2 on 31 May 2022, 14:26.
Last edited by jabhatta2 on 31 May 2022, 14:41, edited 3 times in total.
VP
VP
Send PM
DmitryFarber wrote:
jabhatta2

We can never say "distinctly several." This wouldn't convey any legitimate meaning. ..

DmitryFarber -- here is my attempt to explain why distinctly several animal species , never makes sense

Is it because perhaps that,

(i) Distinct HAS to be an adjective, given we are talking about different animal species in the desert (Dogs, lions, cats, tigers...)
(ii) Distinctly playing the role of adverb -- i think there is no gaurantee that we are talking about Different animal species

I am not sure however
Manhattan Prep Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 7775 [0]
Given Kudos: 55
GMAT 2: 780  Q50  V50
Send PM
Expert Reply
jabhatta2

You're right that "distinctly" is an adverb. But it's not just that it doesn't work here; "distinctly several" would never be correct in any sentence. The issue is that either we have several species or we don't. There's no additional meaning that "distinctly" can provide. I might be "distinctly taller" than others if I am noticeably quite a bit taller. One cake might be "distinctly different" from others. Being tall or different from others can come in degrees, and "distinctly" can clarify that the degree is strong enough to be noticeable. "Several" doesn't come in degrees, nor is it something that might be easier/harder to notice, so it doesn't make sense to apply the modifier "distinctly" to "several."
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 2287 [1]
Given Kudos: 66
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V45
GMAT 2: 780 Q50 V47
GMAT 3: 770 Q50 V45
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
jabhatta2 wrote:
What do you think is the difference between
(i) several distinct animal species
vs
(ii) distinct animal species

Both frankly seem to be the same to me (going to my first point re: reduduncy regarding several in the phrase : several distinct animal species )

jabhatta2 Several means more than two. And, as my friend and former colleague DmitryFarber pointed out, "distinct species" means that they are clearly different from each other (possibly just two of them). No redundancy as far as I can see.
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6921 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts