GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 25 Sep 2018, 08:10

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Dilemma - deposit in at one school, potentially applying to another

  new topic post reply Update application status  
Author Message
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 19 Feb 2017
Posts: 3
Dilemma - deposit in at one school, potentially applying to another  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 19 Feb 2017, 16:44
I was recently accepted to a top 10 b school program -- we'll call it School A -- and recently put down a first deposit given the deadline. I did NOT apply early decision or early admission to this school; was simply a normal application.

However, my long-time partner applied to a top 3 school -- we'll call it School B -- in round 2, and he was recently invited to interview. I think he has a strong chance of being accepted. I did not apply to School B at any point, but am now weighing whether to do so in round 3. I want to at least give it a shot given we'll have to make some tough decisions if he and I end up being accepted to programs that are not in the same geographic area.

Is it a problem to initiate a brand new application after having already put down a first deposit at School A? I understand that it's generally okay to put down a deposit and wait to hear for final decisions from other schools to which you had previously applied/are still in process, but I haven't seen much information out there regarding initiating a brand new application when you already have a deposit in at another top school My concern is that this would be some sort of ethical violation -- and I wouldn't want School A to somehow find out and rescind my offer of admission. I may be overthinking it, but I just don't know.

Deeply appreciate any advice on this situation.
Current Student
avatar
B
Joined: 03 Nov 2016
Posts: 50
Location: United States (MI)
Schools: Ross '19 (M)
Re: Dilemma - deposit in at one school, potentially applying to another  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 20 Feb 2017, 03:51
Tulip2017 wrote:
I was recently accepted to a top 10 b school program -- we'll call it School A -- and recently put down a first deposit given the deadline. I did NOT apply early decision or early admission to this school; was simply a normal application.

However, my long-time partner applied to a top 3 school -- we'll call it School B -- in round 2, and he was recently invited to interview. I think he has a strong chance of being accepted. I did not apply to School B at any point, but am now weighing whether to do so in round 3. I want to at least give it a shot given we'll have to make some tough decisions if he and I end up being accepted to programs that are not in the same geographic area.

Is it a problem to initiate a brand new application after having already put down a first deposit at School A? I understand that it's generally okay to put down a deposit and wait to hear for final decisions from other schools to which you had previously applied/are still in process, but I haven't seen much information out there regarding initiating a brand new application when you already have a deposit in at another top school My concern is that this would be some sort of ethical violation -- and I wouldn't want School A to somehow find out and rescind my offer of admission. I may be overthinking it, but I just don't know.

Deeply appreciate any advice on this situation.


You are overthinking this way too much. B Schools don't share applicant info with each other. The other thing to consider is HSW acceptance rates in round 3 are near zero so even if you wanted to go to "School B" your likelihood is very low.
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 19 Feb 2017
Posts: 3
Re: Dilemma - deposit in at one school, potentially applying to another  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 20 Feb 2017, 13:41
mbamsay wrote:
You are overthinking this way too much. B Schools don't share applicant info with each other. The other thing to consider is HSW acceptance rates in round 3 are near zero so even if you wanted to go to "School B" your likelihood is very low.


Thanks mbamsay. I hope I'm overthinking it! Probably being paranoid but wouldn't want anything to be revoked, etc. I know chances are super low for round 3 but it can't hurt to give it a shot.
Manager
Manager
User avatar
S
Joined: 14 Sep 2013
Posts: 207
Concentration: Marketing, Strategy
Schools: Owen '16 (M)
GMAT 1: 720 Q44 V44
GPA: 3.73
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge
Re: Dilemma - deposit in at one school, potentially applying to another  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 20 Feb 2017, 15:58
Tulip2017 wrote:
I hope I'm overthinking it! Probably being paranoid but wouldn't want anything to be revoked, etc. I know chances are super low for round 3 but it can't hurt to give it a shot.



The only thing you risk is losing the deposit you already paid if you indeed get into a better school and opt to enroll there. As long as you did not do a binding Early Decision, there is no problem at all sending out more applications. Good luck!
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 19 Feb 2017
Posts: 3
Re: Dilemma - deposit in at one school, potentially applying to another  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 23 Feb 2017, 05:20
Thank you teleste!! really appreciate it.
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Dilemma - deposit in at one school, potentially applying to another &nbs [#permalink] 23 Feb 2017, 05:20
Display posts from previous: Sort by

Dilemma - deposit in at one school, potentially applying to another

  new topic post reply Update application status  

Events & Promotions

PREV
NEXT


Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group | Emoji artwork provided by EmojiOne

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.