GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 19 Jan 2019, 09:21

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
Events & Promotions in January
PrevNext
SuMoTuWeThFrSa
Open Detailed Calendar

Dilemma - GMAT retake before or after Interview

new topic post reply Update application status  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Intern
Intern
B
Dilemma - GMAT retake before or after Interview  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 28 Dec 2018, 10:24
Hi,

I have received an interview invite from Schulich School of Business and I have been asked to choose an interview date between 2nd Jan 2019 and 10th Jan 2019.

I wasn't expecting an interview invite, because when I met the admissions committee member a couple of months ago, he had asked me to improve my GMAT score for better chances at selection, since my experience is a lot more than the average at the school. The same adcom is going to take the interview.

My current GMAT score is 650 (Q49, V30) and I am in the midst of my preparation for a retake planned for 1st or 2nd week of Jan 2019. My practice scores are in the range 710-740.

My question is should I retake the GMAT before the interview or after the interview? If I take it before and score higher, will it make a greater impact or at this stage the GMAT doesn't matter as I have cleared that criterion?

Do adcoms take an admit decision immidiately after the interview or do they wait till all the other scheduled interviews are completed?

Also does it make a difference or impact my chances at an admit, if I pick an early slot for interview or can I choose the last available slot?
Founder
Founder
V
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Dilemma - GMAT retake before or after Interview  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 28 Dec 2018, 21:17
Congratulations on your Interview Invite! That's a great sign.

There is a bit of a question of how much you need to prep for your interview. If you need more than 1-2 days of prep, then I would do interview and prep as much as you can to make a great impression. That interview is a great opportunity and obviously they considered you even with your low score and you can talk about it in the interview that you were planning to take the GMAT but now that you got it, you will delay your GMAT and instead were preparing for the interview (that shows that you take the school seriously).

If you are decent at interviewing and don't need days of prep (which I feel most don't), I would take the GMAT before the interview. I think you have a very good chance to improve your score and if you do, you have a trump card to bring to your interview with you and say - I got a 700+ score. If you don't, I would stay quiet or you can still do the above argument and say that you are planning to retake in about 3 weeks.

What you have to think about is, can you pull off a stellar interview even if you bomb your GMAT or will it make you super nervous?

As to your question, the decisions are released on a certain date but the AdCom actually meets throughout the review process and they make decisions for 20-30% during each meeting, depending on how many meetings they have and they jointly review each candidate and then make a decision. Usually each candidate has a recommendation (Admin or Deny) and often people will have champions/advocates (interviewers) who will recommend admitting them despite a weakness in GPA, GMAT, etc. They will argue their reasons but the majority has to agree on that candidate that they will be a good addition to the program. What you have to do in your interview is provide a good-enough impression of yourself (don't worry about trying to look amazing, just be genuine and a good human being). But what you do want to underline that if you get admitted, you will absolutely choose this school and will attend. AdCom hates when people choose other programs AFTER they had to pull a favor for you, so they will be watching for those ques. Make sure you address that aspect (which I hope you honestly and wholeheartedly want to attend).

Good Luck!

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here...
OG2019 Directory is here!
Want to know application stats & Profiles from last year? Check the Decision Tracker

Co-author of the GMAT Club tests

Intern
Intern
B
Dilemma - GMAT retake before or after Interview  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 29 Dec 2018, 03:34
Thank you bb

That does provide a clear picture.

I feel if I go with the interview before the GMAT retake, I might be low in confidence during the interview. Since the adcom did point out that my score is on a slightly lower side, when I met him during an MBA event, it will play on my mind and make me feel that my candidature is inadequate.

So here is my plan, since for the interview I am allowed to choose a date between 2nd Jan and 10th Jan, I plan to pick 10th Jan for the interview. I will take the GMAT on the 8th Jan and hopefully score higher than the previous attempt.
I consider myself to be a good at interviews and plus since I have already met the adcom had a casual chat with him, I feel a certain level of comfort. Nonetheless i will still prepare for the interview on 8th and 9th. Then, go for interview on 10th Jan.

Is this a sound plan?

Also, does it make any difference if I choose the last available interview slot as opposed to an earlier slot?

Appreciate your inputs!
Founder
Founder
V

Show Tags

New post 29 Dec 2018, 17:49
Don’t pick the last interview slot. Pick an earlier one as the interviewer may have to run or be late if another person uses more time. Last spot gets the lowest priority iniftinately.

Posted from my mobile device

Founder of GMAT Club

Want to know application stats & Profiles from last year? Check the Decision Tracker

Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 30 Dec 2018, 10:09
Thanks again bb

By "last slot" i meant whether I choose the interview date as 2nd Jan or 10th Jan, will that mnake any difference?

Appreciate your inputs!

bb wrote:
Don’t pick the last interview slot. Pick an earlier one as the interviewer may have to run or be late if another person uses more time. Last spot gets the lowest priority iniftinately.

Posted from my mobile device
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 01 Jan 2019, 09:32
Hey bb Happy New Year!!

Any tips on what pleasantries should I exchange, considering its a skype interview and since its beginning of a New Year?

Is it ok to wish the interviewer "Happy New Year"?
Founder
Founder
V

Show Tags

New post 01 Jan 2019, 13:50
AntonioD wrote:
Hey bb Happy New Year!!

Any tips on what pleasantries should I exchange, considering its a skype interview and since its beginning of a New Year?

Is it ok to wish the interviewer "Happy New Year"?

I do wish people Happy new Year for at least 10 days after that and I always seem to surprise people with that wish in the second week of January. it seems in the US people move on much faster past the New Year, so if your interview is in the second week of Jan, like Jan 8th or 9th, it is likely way too late and your interviewer has moved on past that.

You an say of course "I still can't believe it is 2019 already" - i seem to say that through June :)

Founder of GMAT Club

Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 02 Jan 2019, 09:59
Thank you very much bb

I changed my plans & decided to go with the interview before the GMAT retake. I got done with the interview today & feel kinda relieved.

The interview however was pretty short, i wasnt expecting it to be like this. It was a Skype interview and the interviewer asked only one question, which was for me to walking him through my resume post my Undergrad. I spoke for about 10 mins straight, trying to provide as much detail and paint a vivid picture for the interviewer. Then a followup question or rather a concern regarding my Post MBA goal, so another 5-6 mins of clarification from me. Then the interviewer asked me to ask a question to him.

That was it, about 20 mins and we were done. Not sure what to make of it? No standard interview questions about Why MBA? Why now? Extra curriculars/GMAT/GPA or any question to understand my personality.

bb any clue, what does an interview like this mean?
MBA Section Director
V
Affiliations: GMATClub
Concentration: Nonprofit
GPA: 4
WE: Engineering (Computer Software)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 02 Jan 2019, 10:18
AntonioD wrote:
Thank you very much bb

I changed my plans & decided to go with the interview before the GMAT retake. I got done with the interview today & feel kinda relieved.

The interview however was pretty short, i wasnt expecting it to be like this. It was a Skype interview and the interviewer asked only one question, which was for me to walking him through my resume post my Undergrad. I spoke for about 10 mins straight, trying to provide as much detail and paint a vivid picture for the interviewer. Then a followup question or rather a concern regarding my Post MBA goal, so another 5-6 mins of clarification from me. Then the interviewer asked me to ask a question to him.

That was it, about 20 mins and we were done. Not sure what to make of it? No standard interview questions about Why MBA? Why now? Extra curriculars/GMAT/GPA or any question to understand my personality.

bb any clue, what does an interview like this mean?

AntonioD

From the following link, I see all of the Schulich interviews lasted for only 20-25 minutes. Since they have only 20 mins or so, they focus on what they want to know about you rather than asking generic questions. So, I guess that should not be a concern. Please also add your interview experience using the same link.

https://gmatclub.com/forum/schulich-yor ... brief.html

New project wSTAT(which Schools To Apply To?)

GMATClub School Ambassador

Live Decision Tracker | Interview Debriefs

New - RC Butler - 2 RC's everyday

GMAT Club Bot
Re: Dilemma - GMAT retake before or after Interview &nbs [#permalink] 02 Jan 2019, 10:18

Dilemma - GMAT retake before or after Interview

new topic post reply Update application status  

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap