GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 14 Oct 2019, 13:43

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Dinged from all 7 B-Schools without interview

new topic post reply Update application status  
Intern
Intern
B
CAT Tests
Dinged from all 7 B-Schools without interview  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 19 Dec 2018, 19:55
Hi,

I am a 32 years old Indian Male with a GMAT score of 690. I applied to 7 B-Schools this year and got dinged from all of them without an interview. I have an MBA from an elite school in India, but want to expand my horizon and scope of work and gain some international experience; hence, want to do a second MBA. I am currently the head of a Marketing agency in Mumbai and have a total of 6 years of experience in the Marketing field in different industries: real estate, BFSI, FMCG, entertainment.

List of Schools I had applied to:

1. Rotman
2. Kellogg
3. Ross
4. Cornell
5. Tepper
6. INSEAD
7. HEC Paris

A low GMAT score and age on the higher side are the two obvious reasons I can think of. [/b]
My essays were well thought through and written (took help from international consultants) and my recommendations were pretty good. Is there a way I could get them reviewed on this forum?
Undergrad GPA again was above average.

I want to know from my peers and experts about the other possible reasons and my chances if I want to re-apply next year (Considering I improve my GMAT score by 30-40 points).
How to go about it? What should be my strategy? Is it even a possibility given my age and the fact that it's a second MBA?

Regards
Admissionado
P
Schools: Brown University, Harvard Business School
Re: Dinged from all 7 B-Schools without interview  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 20 Dec 2018, 21:31
We do offer ding analysis support so reach out to Claudia at claudia@admissionado.com if you'd like some help identifying what went wrong & what to do differently next year. That said, I think a big issue is just how competitive the demographic you are coming from is, and the fact that it's one that tends to have very high GMAT scores. Like you said, your GMAT is on the low (especially for this demographic) and your age is on the high end, which is especially challenging when there are so many people applying who "look" like you in some way on paper in terms of demographics. The adcoms are always looking to build a diverse class, which means the competition is fierce if you are an Indian male. A 690 is below the average GMAT for many of these schools -- and like I said your demographic has very scores. When a school's average score is 700 for example, the average score among Indian males who are accepted is often more like 740+. In addition, when you have more years than their average years of experience they start to worry that you no longer need the degree so that is an additional obstacle as well. My overall sense is that you just shot too high when it comes to school selection & that if you reapply next year you'll want to target schools more in the 20-30 range (unless you can really improve that GMAT score). I'd also err on the side of applying to more European schools next year since your age will be a bit less of a factor there. And like I said, it's also important to look at your essays and, if possible, your LORS - so if you'd like to reach out to Claudia so one of our consultants can do a more thorough analysis for you that might also help you identify some things to do differently next time!

==

***NEW Admissionado Products & Services! ***

If you like the post, give it a KUDOS!

Now, read up and get smart:

That'll get you started. Still have questions? Reach out, and let’s gab. 
Our only requirement is that you don’t prefer warm milk over cold milk. Everyone else, 100% welcome.

Email: claudia@admissionado.com
Young People: WhatsApp or WeChat (@JonFrankHBS)
Older: FacebookTwitterLinkedIn 
Oldest: 866-409-4753
Intern
Intern
B
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 11 Jul 2019, 03:21
anshuman203 wrote:
Hi,

I am a 32 years old Indian Male with a GMAT score of 690. I applied to 7 B-Schools this year and got dinged from all of them without an interview. I have an MBA from an elite school in India, but want to expand my horizon and scope of work and gain some international experience; hence, want to do a second MBA. I am currently the head of a Marketing agency in Mumbai and have a total of 6 years of experience in the Marketing field in different industries: real estate, BFSI, FMCG, entertainment.

List of Schools I had applied to:

1. Rotman
2. Kellogg
3. Ross
4. Cornell
5. Tepper
6. INSEAD
7. HEC Paris

A low GMAT score and age on the higher side are the two obvious reasons I can think of. [/b]
My essays were well thought through and written (took help from international consultants) and my recommendations were pretty good. Is there a way I could get them reviewed on this forum?
Undergrad GPA again was above average.

I want to know from my peers and experts about the other possible reasons and my chances if I want to re-apply next year (Considering I improve my GMAT score by 30-40 points).
How to go about it? What should be my strategy? Is it even a possibility given my age and the fact that it's a second MBA?

Regards

Hi ,

I retook GMAT today and scored 720 (Q-51. VA-35). I don't know how good or bad this score is considering the wide gap in VA and Q scores and the fact that I am from India where the average GMAT score is a few notches higher. Would request for expert and peer review of my profile and score and suggest the list of B-schools I can apply to.

Thanks!
Admissionado
P
Schools: Brown University, Harvard Business School

Show Tags

New post 12 Jul 2019, 09:30
Hi there, Thanks for reaching out. As an Indian male, you are coming from an extremely tough demographic when it comes to b-school applications & it's one that tends to have very high GMAT scores (740+ for top 20 schools). It helps that you don't have an IT/engineering background, but the existing MBA is a challenge since it makes it harder to argue that you still need another one. Your age & years of experience are a challenge as well. Most top schools want candidates with 3-5 years of experience upon matriculation, although it does skew a bit older for European schools. A lot will also depend on the strength of your accomplishments at work. The adcom wants to see applicants who have driven meaningful accomplishments (e.g. driving increases in revenue or decreases in cost, launching new profitable products, etc) as well as leadership experience. Post-MBA goals are critical as well. Those are not only an opportunity to differentiate yourself, they are also the foundation for your why MBA argument. The adcom wants to know exactly what title (and 2-3 target firms) you aspire to in the ST & LT, what exactly you plan to accomplish in those goals & why that's your passion. They want to see your unique vision for the difference you plan to make in your industry via your goals; in other words, they're not looking for applicants who just want a "job." Goals are especially critical in your case since you have the existing MBA. The adcom wants to see the 3-4 specific skill gaps you still need to fill to succeed in those goals.

In your case, I think you shot much too high with your schools. Even with a 720 these schools are solidly in the reach category & some schools (Kellogg, Ross, INSEAD) are just too much of a reach to even keep on your list in my opinion. I'd aim for schools in 20-40 rank range if you decide to apply again. You want to target schools where your GMAT is 20-40 points above their average -- then they'll be more willing to overlook the other challenges in your candidacy. If there's any chance of getting your score up in the 740 range that would make schools like Tepper more of an option for you & possibly schools like Emory & UNC (but I'd still rule out schools in the top 10).

If you'd like some feedback on what might have gone wrong in your essays & LORs -- and if you want help thinking through your story for next time -- definitely reach out to us. We offer ding analysis and can also set you up with a free consultation with one of our MBA consultants. If you reach out to Claudia at claudia@admissionado.com she can set you up!

==

***NEW Admissionado Products & Services! ***

If you like the post, give it a KUDOS!

Now, read up and get smart:

That'll get you started. Still have questions? Reach out, and let’s gab. 
Our only requirement is that you don’t prefer warm milk over cold milk. Everyone else, 100% welcome.

Email: claudia@admissionado.com
Young People: WhatsApp or WeChat (@JonFrankHBS)
Older: FacebookTwitterLinkedIn 
Oldest: 866-409-4753

Dinged from all 7 B-Schools without interview

new topic post reply Update application status  

Moderator: Admissionado