Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 04:44 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 04:44

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [6]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 107 [1]
Given Kudos: 7
GMAT 1: 710 Q47 V40
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 16 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Concentration: Real Estate
Schools: Northwestern (Kellogg) - Class of 2014
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [5]
Send PM
Re: Disclosing ADHD in Business School Application (MIT Sloan) [#permalink]
Kudos
gijoedude wrote:

PS: I have been told by a number of people a number of times I have ADHD. I personally don't buy this "disorder". It's complete bullcr@p. IMO it was created by inept teachers who were too lazy to handle an active boy who likes to jump and play around and not sit in a boring classroom talking about Anne of Green Gables. The said inept teachers would rather drug the kid to calm him down than exercise patience.

This is exactly the attitude I mentioned in my post. You should have done some research to learn more about ADHD before making rather 'disrespectful' comments.

ADHD is a physical disorder just like any other physical disorder. People with ADHD don't have enough dopamine uptake in prefrontal cortex and this has been proven in multitude of research studies. As a matter of fact, ADHD is the most researched disorder in the US. Because ADHD patients have trouble keeping their pre-frontal cortex active (hence not be able to sit in a boring classroom), they seek excitement through hyperactivity (hence jumping around).

Not a single thread of evidence points any correlation between ADHD and bad parenting or bad teaching.

Since the physical location of disorder is inside the brain and can't be explicitly viewed like some other externally visible disorders, some people find it hard to think of this as 'physical disorder' but this is just lazy thinking and stupidity at best. I know this is very unfortunate but education and awareness will change perceptions eventually. A mere 20 years ago, even people with explicit physical disabilities faced stigmas from society but things improve with the time.

Hope this helps in changing your opinion towards ADHD.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [0]
Send PM
mbarealestate wrote:
The AdCom will also assume, whether correctly or not, that you received additional time on your GMAT exam. Another reason not to disclose it.

Thanks - from what I have heard GMAT will mention any accommodations on your report. Besides, I had taken GMAT 4 years ago and ADHD was diagnosed only last year.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 62 [0]
Given Kudos: 13
Schools: LBS '14 (A)
GMAT 1: 730 Q50 V39
GPA: 3.9
Send PM
Dear Standingtall,

I can understand your pain. like a lot of companies, schools pay lip service. ADHD and other mental disorders can be painful. People who have never suffered from any illness of such sort would not know.

I have given you my very first kudo for your bravery.

Don't lose faith.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 45 [0]
Send PM
gijoedude wrote:
Whenever someone mentions ADHD this is what comes to my mind : https://www.gametrailers.com/user-movie/ ... ment/39268

If having ADHD has had no impact on your education or career, then why on earth would you mention it on your apps? If you mentioned ADHD in your apps AND told the adcoms that it had no impact on your career you know what the adcom will think? They will wonder what's wrong with you and think "why the heck is this guy mentioning a problem that had NO impact on his education or career? That just shows bad judgement".

PS: I have been told by a number of people a number of times I have ADHD. I personally don't buy this "disorder". It's complete bullcr@p. IMO it was created by inept teachers who were too lazy to handle an active boy who likes to jump and play around and not sit in a boring classroom talking about Anne of Green Gables. The said inept teachers would rather drug the kid to calm him down than exercise patience.

PPS: Please do not compare ADHD to physical disabilities. They are nowhere on the "same level". Spending your life in a wheel chair paralyzed is vastly different from not being able to concentrate for 15 straight minutes.

PPS: I don't mean to be rude. I just know way to many people with inept parenting skills who use ADD/ADHD as an excuse. /End rant.

You see a bunch of parents with bad parenting skills who use ADD/ADHD as an excuse, then you make a conclusion that the whole thing is complete bullcrap? Lacking CR skills much?

I know for a fact that there are people who suffer from ADHD and yes, it's serious and is much more than something that lazy teachers would create out of nowhere to control active boy jumping and playing around. Perhaps a little research or even googling before you post might have helped?

Of course they're nowhere on the same level.....they're two different disabilities with different symptoms. Everything is relative. A guy with ADHD or other types of illness can suffer just as much as someone who have physical disabilities.

I do agree however, that the OP probably shouldn't have mentioned his/her diagnosis to the school, though I'm glad that OP made a decision and stuck with it. Who knows - maybe there were other reasons that the OP didn't get accepted and we'll probably never know, but better to be safe than sorry when it comes to b-school applications.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 62 [0]
Schools: LBS '14 (A)
GMAT 1: 730 Q50 V39
GPA: 3.9
Send PM
Disclosing ADHD in Business School Application (MIT Sloan) [#permalink]
I agree with goodbyeboy that most of the people out there don't take ADHD and other disorders in the way they should. I have suffered from some serious limitations, but I made it a point never to discuss them with anyone. I did tell me wife before we married, but that's it.

Originally posted by someone79 on 03 Mar 2012, 02:22.
Last edited by someone79 on 06 Feb 2015, 01:45, edited 1 time in total.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 157 [0]
Given Kudos: 249
Concentration: Nonprofit, General Management
Schools: Michigan (Ross) - Class of 2015
GRE 1: Q170 V166
GPA: 3.22
WE:Management Consulting (Non-Profit and Government)
Send PM
Everyone is entitled to write whatever they want for their essays. I commend the OP for writing about a substantial issue that is personal and may be difficult to disclose or receive feedback about. I also wish the OP good luck in future admissions endeavors! :)

This post seems to arise because the OP has been dinged, but there is no way to know exactly why the OP was dinged. The assumption that it must be the ADHD topic only seems to lend credibility to the viewpoint that it should have been omitted in the first place. There's plenty of other things to write about that would have sidestepped such a potential landmine. I'm sympathetic that this issue might actually influence people's view of OP, but sometimes discretion is a valuable skill to exercise. My personal opinion is that OP did not have a "perfect application" but for mentioning ADHD. Who in their right mind would say, "Gosh, this person has all the elements of becoming the next Steve Jobs, but my, oh my, that ADHD will have to mean the ding pile."

Either way, the OP is free to do as OP wants. I will say though that I'm uncomfortable with the assumption that business schools would rather admit people who lie on their essays over people who show honesty and humility. I reject this notion, and furthermore, there's no way for them to know who is lying or not. Through this one interaction, it seems as if the OP has created an image of all admissions officers and business school in general. Just as OP wishes people would not buy into negative stereotypes about ADHD, I wish the OP would not buy into negative stereotypes about those affiliated with business schools. The more I think and read over this post, it seems like a classic case of sour grapes. They had something OP wanted, OP was dinged and said it must be because they are inhumane searchers of liars, and now OP's too good for MIT? Then the point about business schools should actively search out people with ADHD because a large portion successful entrepreneurs have ADHD? But they're not "smart" enough yet to do that?

Again, I wish the best for OP, but I'm scratching my head on this one I guess.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 16 [1]
Given Kudos: 18
Concentration: Strategy, Economics
GMAT Date: 07-17-2015
GPA: 3.57
Send PM
Kudos
Oh man, my friend has the exact same problem - but with epilepsy. She's epileptic and leads a support group 10-15 hours a week but she doesn't know whether she should mention this at all on her apps. Now she wishes she had a more "acceptable" condition to have a support group for because many people do believe epilepsy is mind destroying etc. It's so sad.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 93 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Concentration: International Business, General Management
WE:Analyst (Venture Capital)
Send PM
Discretion is key... i.e., probably not the best idea to post the name of the school that rejected you. I'm sure admissions officers, if they read this board, would not take too kindly to what you said about their process. Maybe you wake up in 2 months and decide you want to give MIT another run.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [0]
Send PM
chromium73 wrote:
Discretion is key... i.e., probably not the best idea to post the name of the school that rejected you. I'm sure admissions officers, if they read this board, would not take too kindly to what you said about their process. Maybe you wake up in 2 months and decide you want to give MIT another run.

I don't have any further aspirations to pursue anything with MIT. If they end up reading it, hope this feedback will change things for better in future and if enough people started disclosing their disabilities, a few will suffer the consequences but rest will benefit in the long term.

FatRiverPuff wrote:
Oh man, my friend has the exact same problem - but with epilepsy. She's epileptic and leads a support group 10-15 hours a week but she doesn't know whether she should mention this at all on her apps. Now she wishes she had a more "acceptable" condition to have a support group for because many people do believe epilepsy is mind destroying etc. It's so sad.

I wish her good luck - unfortunately, schools are not even willing to give you an equal chance let alone accommodate you for your difficulties if you mention your disability.

I called their admission office a few weeks before applying and asked if I should disclose my disability and they stressed that I should definitely mention it. However, the informal advice from an internal source was NOT to disclose ADHD. If you are someone who represents MIT, honestly ask yourself if this is the case.

MIT has not replied to my request for feedback and there is apparently no obligation on their part to explain how my ADHD disclosure was taken into consideration while making a decision - hence very convenient for them to make easy choices.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 27 [2]
Given Kudos: 5
Concentration: General Management, Technology
Send PM
Kudos
Based on previous discussions in the main MIT 2012 thread, MIT received over 4000 applications in round 1 with an average GMAT of 750 and an acceptance rate of roughly 8%. With numbers like this, I wouldn't conclude that ADHD was the sole reason why your application was rejected or that it even played any role. With the sheer number of applicants, the competition for the very few seats offered by the school is immense. Also, rejecting well over 3500 applicants MIT doesn't necessarily have the time to provide you with a detailed response as to why you weren't selected.

Just something to take into consideration.
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 628 [2]
Given Kudos: 192
Send PM
Disclosing ADHD in Business School Application (MIT Sloan) [#permalink]
Kudos
Steve Jobs, Bill Gates of the world don't waste time in business school. They are too smart to be directed by someone. They like to be on their own. So when applying to business school try to present all your positives and remove the negatives. After all on which B School website you find an iota of self criticism. On the contrary the placement reports try to present all the best stats and ignore the uncomfortable facts. Alas only if all parties could be truthful. The world would. E a much better place.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [1]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Kudos
gijoedude wrote:
Edit: Moderator Edit: This poster is wrong but this is their opinion, though it is not very polite but unfortunately it is a part of this discussion. This is not the view of GMAT Club but rather a user post

Whenever someone mentions ADHD this is what comes to my mind : https://www.gametrailers.com/user-movie/ ... ment/39268

If having ADHD has had no impact on your education or career, then why on earth would you mention it on your apps? If you mentioned ADHD in your apps AND told the adcoms that it had no impact on your career you know what the adcom will think? They will wonder what's wrong with you and think "why the heck is this guy mentioning a problem that had NO impact on his education or career? That just shows bad judgement".

PS: I have been told by a number of people a number of times I have ADHD. I personally don't buy this "disorder". It's complete bullcrp. IMO it was created by inept teachers who were too lazy to handle an active boy who likes to jump and play around and not sit in a boring classroom talking about Anne of Green Gables. The said inept teachers would rather drug the kid to calm him down than exercise patience.

PPS: Please do not compare ADHD to physical disabilities. They are nowhere on the "same level". Spending your life in a wheel chair paralyzed is vastly different from not being able to concentrate for 15 straight minutes.

PPS: I don't mean to be rude. I just know way to many people with inept parenting skills who use ADD/ADHD as an excuse. /End rant.

Resurfacing this to flag as blatant discrimination and bigotry against a community of people with a disability.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Seconded. My jaw dropped reading the ignorance and bigotry in that post! When ADHD has robbed people of opportunities in life.. it's not any less of a disability than being in a wheelchair!

Also, the fact that the original OP kept this post speaks volumes about their commitment to values and pushing boundaries. I'm doing the same now as an ex-Sloan applicant (was interviewed but not successful) and current Stanford GSB applicant.

Whereas I still wouldn't disclose ADHD in my applications, I want to leave a mark here in hopes that adcoms see such posts and get educated.

As a newly diagnosed ADHD MBA candidate, I got the diagnosis in preparation for B-school because I need to equip myself with tools and hacks for productivity.
I hope adcoms will be educated enough to see this. The risk is not with someone who has ADHD, but with someone who is denial or doesn't know/want to handle their ADHD!

Thanks for posting OP from ten years ago.

astiles67 wrote:
gijoedude wrote:
Edit: Moderator Edit: This poster is wrong but this is their opinion, though it is not very polite but unfortunately it is a part of this discussion. This is not the view of GMAT Club but rather a user post

Whenever someone mentions ADHD this is what comes to my mind :

PS: I have been told by a number of people a number of times I have ADHD. I personally don't buy this "disorder". It's complete bullcrp. IMO it was created by inept teachers who were too lazy to handle an active boy who likes to jump and play around and not sit in a boring classroom talking about Anne of Green Gables. The said inept teachers would rather drug the kid to calm him down than exercise patience.

Resurfacing this to flag as blatant discrimination and bigotry against a community of people with a disability.

Posted from my mobile device
GMAT Club Bot