Last visit was: 14 May 2024, 12:13 It is currently 14 May 2024, 12:13

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 69 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 779 [0]
Given Kudos: 548
Schools:Yale SOM 2011 Alum, Kellogg, Booth, Tuck
 Q44  V50
WE 1: IB - Restructuring & Distressed M&A
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 69 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 30 [0]
Given Kudos: 8
Send PM
Re: Do I have to be a boss to apply? [#permalink]
Having said that, it is still important to demonstrate your leadership skills. You do no have to be in management role but you do have to show leadership in other areas either at work or extra curricular activities.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Concentration: Tech Entrepreneurship
Schools:HBS, Sloan, Columbia, Stern, Tuck
 Q50  V44
Send PM
i think this is bad advice. by the time you are a "boss", you could very well be too old for full time MBA programs :P . Usually, those positions are reserved for the upper end of 20's or 30's, and once you start to get into that age range you are put at a disadvantage in the application process.

i haven't seen too many 25 year old bosses, and I think if there was such a thing many of the older employees would be quite pissed off and indignant.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 254 [0]
Given Kudos: 17
Concentration: Health Enterprise Management, Marketing, Strategy, Finance, Analytical Consulting, Economics
Schools:Kellogg Class of 2011
Send PM
go2bizSkool wrote:
i haven't seen too many 25 year old bosses, and I think if there was such a thing many of the older employees would be quite pissed off and indignant.

It depends. Many of my classmates who are in their mid-20s have experience supervising other employees (technically "management" experience), some people even had "manager" titles.

Regardless of whether you have formal supervisory responsibilities or a management title, as an applicant you need to be able to demonstrate that you can influence others and have done so to achieve a favorable outcome. Whether you do that at work or in your extra-curriculars is less important.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Concentration: Tech Entrepreneurship
Schools:HBS, Sloan, Columbia, Stern, Tuck
 Q50  V44
Send PM
at my former place of employment, there were several layers of job titles before the first real manager position (where you would conduct performance reviews, give people permission to take days off, etc).

the people in those layers often led projects or initiatives but did not have the authority to give a raise for example. I guess that is what i was defining as a "real" manager, and I can't see someone in their mid 20's given that authority, but that could have been only at my workplace
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 95 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Concentration: Finance
Schools:Oxford
 Q44  V49
Send PM
go2bizSkool wrote:
at my former place of employment, there were several layers of job titles before the first real manager position (where you would conduct performance reviews, give people permission to take days off, etc).

the people in those layers often led projects or initiatives but did not have the authority to give a raise for example. I guess that is what i was defining as a "real" manager, and I can't see someone in their mid 20's given that authority, but that could have been only at my workplace

i'm 25 now. been a finance manager since i was 24...i'm a bit of an odd case though since i started undergrad at 15 and graduated by 19...so it took me 5 yrs of work experience to get here.

i NEVER tell ppl at work how old i am and if they ask i'll just say late 20's and never get into detail (i look older anyways, and i'm asian so ppl can't really tell). the ppl i manage range from early 20's fresh out of school to mid/late 30's...so it's not a terribly old group, which makes my age less of an issue and my job slightly easier.

i truly do think management experience is great to have for business school though. i've learned A LOT from managing ppl, so now i think i have a lot more to contribute to an mba class and i can also learn more too. but of course, it's tough for most ppl to get it before going into an mba due to the timing.
GMAT Club Bot