It is currently 23 Nov 2017, 12:00

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Do most people here do FT? Is PT "good enough"?

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Current Student

Kudos [?]: 277 [0], given: 52

Concentration: Strategy, Finance
Schools: UNC (Kenan-Flagler) - Class of 2013
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V39
WE: Programming (Computer Software)
Reviews Badge
Do most people here do FT? Is PT "good enough"? [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 10 Jul 2009, 06:31
I am still not sure if I want to do FT or PT MBA and have read quite a few articles but just curious what people here think...
FT:
Pros:
access to all career resources
more access to professors, classes, students
companies regard FT highest

Cons:
huge debt, "no job" to support(maybe a delivery boy?)

PT:
Pros:
Job could help pay for school, income, more flexibility, could possibly find job right after

Cons:
Not regarded as high as FT, potentially limited career change(assuming company's paying for it),

The only thing I am worried about is the huge debt and not being able to provide for myself for 2 years or so. Can I get some stories from FT/PTmers here and how they feel about it?
Thanks!

If you like my answers please +1 kudos!

GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend

Kudos [?]: 765 [0], given: 5

Schools: Kellogg Alum: Class of 2010
Re: Do most people here do FT? Is PT "good enough"? [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 10 Jul 2009, 14:27
I had a cut off, if I didn't get into a very good school I would have gone PT. I just didnt think it was worth taking +100k worth of loans missing significantly more than that in salary to not have a chance at the jobs/salary I wanted. Lots of people take out tons of loans, so its not unusual. If you have a career you enjoy and your company will pay for you to go PT then its a no-brainer. However, if you want to change careers/industries and/or your company wont pay anything then FT starts looking much more attractive. PT costs just as much tuition-wise, yes you are working so that helps but it takes longer to complete.

I think it comes down to more of career direction you want to take compared to where you are. If you are a PT person it is possible to switch but it is significantly more difficult. People definitely move up when they graduate but usually its within the same company or at the very least industry/functional area.

Kellogg Class of 2010...still active and willing to help. However, I do not do profile reviews, don't offer predictions on chances and am far to busy to review essays, so save the energy of writing me a PM seeking help for these. If I don't respond to a PM that is not one of the previously mentioned trash can destined messages, please don't take it personally I get so many messages I have a hard to responding to most. The more interesting, compelling, or humorous you message the more likely I am to respond.
GMAT Club Premium Membership - big benefits and savings

Kudos [?]: 765 [0], given: 5

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 0

Schools: Ross PT
WE 1: Operations Management
WE 2: Project Management
WE 3: Project Engineer

Show Tags

New post 10 Jul 2009, 15:10
If you're accepted into a Top 20 program, I would say go full-time. The ROI is usually extremely good.

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 0

Current Student

Concentration: Strategy, Finance
Schools: UNC (Kenan-Flagler) - Class of 2013
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V39
WE: Programming (Computer Software)
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 10 Jul 2009, 17:27
Currently I am in IT. I know I dont want to be coding forever and I know there's ceiling for salary before I need to climb the manager ladder. I am interested in finance and would like to work at financial companies that deals with IT as well but not exclusively programming but a mix. I am not sure if that is viewed as a radical career change or not. Financial companies pays well and I think with a mix of IT there it opens more doors.

Since it is "predetermined" that it is good idea to apply to FT MBA programs on top 20 schools, when I apply the next 10 as PT should i check their ratings on the PT list for business ratings?

And as a side question... how many FT/PT should one apply? Obviously it will be very expensive but whats the structure of applying to reach/target/safety etc? thanks!

If you like my answers please +1 kudos!

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 1

Schools: Haas, Booth-PT

Show Tags

New post 12 Jul 2009, 10:28
riverripper wrote:
I had a cut off, if I didn't get into a very good school I would have gone PT. I just didnt think it was worth taking +100k worth of loans missing significantly more than that in salary to not have a chance at the jobs/salary I wanted. Lots of people take out tons of loans, so its not unusual. If you have a career you enjoy and your company will pay for you to go PT then its a no-brainer. However, if you want to change careers/industries and/or your company wont pay anything then FT starts looking much more attractive. PT costs just as much tuition-wise, yes you are working so that helps but it takes longer to complete.

I think it comes down to more of career direction you want to take compared to where you are. If you are a PT person it is possible to switch but it is significantly more difficult. People definitely move up when they graduate but usually its within the same company or at the very least industry/functional area.

I am in the same boat this year. I have admission from 15-20 rank school (FT) this year but I am planning to reapply. I am also planning to apply to some PT programs this year. I applied to FT program at Kellogg and Booth this year and was dinged after interview at both. I am in process of changing job and my goals are to climb the ladder but in same industry. I am confused whether to apply for PT MBA @kellogg/Booth this year or reapply to FT.

-----------------------------------------
My best friend gave me the best advice

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 1

Current Student

Kudos [?]: 62 [0], given: 21

Schools: Fuqua Class of 2012

Show Tags

New post 14 Jul 2009, 11:48
I actually went through the whole process in the 2007-08 application cycle for part-time programs. At the start, I thought that I wanted to stay in IT and continue along the typical MIS path (analyst->team lead->project manager->program manager->... etc.). However, as time went by and I researched the different PT programs, and especially as I started to write my essays, I realized that I wanted to get into tech marketing/product management. The switch isn't a huge one, but the benefits of FT programs that so many had talked about were starting to make more sense. After a long talk and a few beers with a friend who is a grad of a top-school and also a tech product manager, I determined that my best move would be to pursue a full-time MBA.

My decision might have been different if my work situation had allowed for a transition into my desired field. For example, if I had been working for <insert big tech company here> in a similar role, it would have been feasible for me to gradually transition into product management over the three years that I would be in school. Additionally, I might have been swayed by employer tuition assistance, not to mention keeping my salary. In the end, for me, the full immersion of a full-time program was too attractive, and I'm eager to get started (after I get accepted, of course).

Kudos [?]: 62 [0], given: 21

SVP
SVP

Kudos [?]: 746 [0], given: 548

Schools: Yale SOM 2011 Alum, Kellogg, Booth, Tuck
WE 1: IB - Restructuring & Distressed M&A
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 14 Jul 2009, 13:12
There's nothing wrong with pursuing PT MBA over FT MBA. Afterall, most people choose FT MBA for its career services and other on campus recruiting/resources for FT students.

PT MBA is ideal for people with jobs, and people who are looking to stay with current employers. You won't have to take out ridiculous amount of loans and in the end, companies don't care whether you have a PT or FT MBA pedigree. They will promote you based on your performance, potential and merit.

GMAT Club Premium Membership - big benefits and savings

Kudos [?]: 746 [0], given: 548

Re: Do most people here do FT? Is PT "good enough"?   [#permalink] 14 Jul 2009, 13:12

Do most people here do FT? Is PT "good enough"?

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap