Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 02:00 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 02:00

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [1]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Board of Directors
Own Kudos [?]: 5426 [0]
Given Kudos: 346
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 271 [0]
Given Kudos: 80
Send PM
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72888 [0]
Given Kudos: 18869
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Re: Do Schools ask number of GMAT attempts? [#permalink]
Expert Reply
I believe Booth also had this question on the application last year.... but yes, it is an unverifiable number/piece of information but that does not mean you should give you a false picture. It may/will come out and pop up and you will be denied admission or expelled if/when it does.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [0]
Given Kudos: 56
GMAT 1: 690 Q50 V34
Send PM
Hi , but schools get to know about it whether you have cancelled score or not?

Sent from my XT1562 using GMAT Club Forum mobile app
Board of Directors
Own Kudos [?]: 5426 [0]
Given Kudos: 346
Send PM
Expert Reply
pratik1709 wrote:

I believe they don't but what if they find in someway?

It's better to be on a safer side. Else it may spoil one's life later.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [2]
Given Kudos: 56
GMAT 1: 690 Q50 V34
Send PM
Bookmarks
Yeah..thtz true..

Actually my case is bit wierd.

I cancelled score first time and for second attempt ,due to some unavoidable reason , couldnt give the exam.

So was checking .. would Bschools count my next attempt count as 3rd attempt ?? Or 1st or 2nd??

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Affiliations: Harvard University
Own Kudos [?]: 74 [1]
Given Kudos: 8
WE:Consulting (Education)
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
In response to the above question, it would be your 3rd attempt, with one canceled score.

I agree with the above though for anyone seeking additional advice: DON'T LIE, even though the schools don't verify the number of times you've taken the test. It's also not necessarily bad to have taken the test a number of times: it shows your determination, and tenacity in terms of wanting to improve. It demonstrates you're not one to just simply "give up."
Stratus Admissions Consultant
Own Kudos [?]: 217 [1]
Given Kudos: 88
Concentration: Marketing, Organizational Behavior
Schools: Kellogg
GPA: 3.67
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
abhimahna wrote:
pratik1709 wrote:

I believe they don't but what if they find in someway?

It's better to be on a safer side. Else it may spoil one's life later.

I think it is safe to assume they can see the number of attempts but not the scores on the official report- you really would not want to get caught in an "untruth" as that would be worse and may get you booted just for that.
And I agree that schools will often look at someone who took test several times as a resilient person and that is an admirable quality. And for those struggling to showcase your "quant" side if the GMAT is just not working for you... consider these tips:https://stratusadmissionscounseling.com/five-tips-build-quantitative-profile/
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Send PM
Thanks everyone.

However, I cancelled my score every time, except the last one. Should I mention 5, or simply 1 ? The actual question Booth asks is "Number of times you received a full GMAT score". Since I cancelled the scores 4 times, will those occasions be counted as full scores (AWA not evaluated) ?

Additionally, how will ad-coms perceive 5 GMAT attempts? Sure this will not be taken constructively. Scores were 690, 710, 720, 730 and 760.
MBA Admissions Consultant
Own Kudos [?]: 1109 [0]
Given Kudos: 1752
GPA: 4
Send PM
Expert Reply
Booth ask on their online application: "How many times have you received a total GMAT score?"
Sloan don't ask that.
As everyone told you, it is recommended to tell the truth. Schools may be able to see the number of tests in your score report.
Don't worry about it too much, you are not the only candidate who took the test many times... good luck!
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 271 [0]
Given Kudos: 80
Send PM
Do Schools ask number of GMAT attempts? [#permalink]
For what it is worth I did email mba.com about a month ago (for an unrelated reason) asking if schools will see the number of takes and was told:

"Please note that the scores sent to school will not contain any information of number of attempts for which you chose to cancel your scores."

But again I'm with everyone in that, similar to a point on a resume, it simply isn't worth trying to cheat the truth of the situation. The more authentic you are throughout the application process the better off the overall experience will be (at least in my opinion).
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 130 [0]
Given Kudos: 41
Send PM
There is no ambiguity - B-schools don't get canceled scores. Period.

Here is my take on this extra data-point of asking you the attempts.

SCENARIO 1:

In the very unlikely case of 2 candidates having the same educational profile, same type of experience, same kind of community involvement - pretty much SAME everything.

THEN this could perhaps be used as a data point. However, the chances so many things are similar is very rare so don't worry.

SCENARIO 2:

They are using it as a data point for their own internal reasons. Perhaps the marketing team wants to target retakers.

THEN this really does not matter too much. I would ignore the relevance.

Now coming to the question of 1 attempt versus 5 attempts. In a Clintonesque way, may I ask - what do you really mean "received a GMAT score"?

If you canceled it then you really did not receive a score right? You just got something which you did not accept to be a true reflection of your potential so you refused.

So, I don't think you should read too much into it.

Arun
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 224 [0]
Given Kudos: 25
sandeep : sharma
Concentration: International Business, Entrepreneurship
GPA: 3.9
Send PM
Hi
Cancelled reports never go to school.

In case you are improving the score in reattempt then it gives only positive impact.
never try to be false in your application part in case few schools ask this in the application

Thanks
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 1807 [0]
Given Kudos: 203
Send PM
Do Schools ask number of GMAT attempts? [#permalink]
The official score report will show dates of every exam taken in the last five years, even if that exam was cancelled. Schools will not receive scores for the cancelled exams.

If the schools ask for the "number of attempts", then it is advisable to state correctly every time the exam was taken, regardless of whether the school will receive the score. I have yet to see this kind of question in a PhD application.

If you misunderstood the question and gave a different answer, then that is understandable. However, you should not intentionally lie on an application.

Note that a score can be officially reported for up to 5 years. So, the score of an exam taken this year will be shown on the official score report for up to 2026 (if my calculation is correct).
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 40 [0]
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club MBAbot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot