GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 27 Jun 2019, 02:10

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Due to the rising cost of textbooks, some instructors are rethinking

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Director
Director
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Finance
Due to the rising cost of textbooks, some instructors are rethinking  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 25 Dec 2018, 10:29
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

55% (hard)

Question Stats:

56% (01:38) correct 44% (01:39) wrong based on 228 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Due to the rising cost of textbooks, some instructors are rethinking traditional approaches to publishing, including discovering new ways to deliver information to students, open-source, print-on-demand, and digital marketplace alternatives.

A. publishing, including discovering new ways to deliver information to students,

B. publishing with new ways of delivering information to students,

C. publishing, discovering new ways to deliver information to students, which includes

D. publishing by delivering information to students in new ways, discoveries such as

E. publishing and discovering new ways to deliver information to students, including

Originally posted by gmatbull on 12 Nov 2012, 12:34.
Last edited by Bunuel on 25 Dec 2018, 10:29, edited 1 time in total.
Renamed the topic, edited the question and added the OA.
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
G
Re: Due to the rising cost of textbooks, some instructors are rethinking  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 12 Nov 2012, 15:02
gmatbull wrote:
Due to the rising cost of textbooks, some instructors are rethinking traditional approaches to publishing, including discovering new ways to deliver information to students, open-source, print-on-demand, and digital marketplace alternatives.
A. publishing, including discovering new ways to deliver information to students,
C. publishing, discovering new ways to deliver information to students, which includes
D. publishing by delivering information to students in new ways, discoveries such as
E. publishing and discovering new ways to deliver information to students, including

I'm happy to help with this. :-)

What's intriguing about this, first of all, is that neither "rethinking" nor "publishing" is necessarily parallel to "discovering", so the proper connection between those is unclear.

The giveaway is the list at the end ---- "open-source, print-on-demand, and digital marketplace alternatives." First of all, those are and should be in parallel. Second, that's a list of examples, examples of "new ways to deliver information to students", so it has to be introduced as a proper list of examples. On the GMAT, the only proper introduction for a list of examples is the phrase "such as" --- only (D) has this proper construction, so (D) must be the answer.

Notice, (D) also has a satisfactory arrangement with respect to the gerund "discovering" ---- they "are rethinking ... by discovering .." ---- in other words, the "discovering" phrase is the means by which they are rethinking. That makes sense in context.

See this blog for more on gerunds (both "publishing" and "discovering" are gerunds in the OA)
http://magoosh.com/gmat/2012/gmat-gramm ... d-phrases/
The verb "are rethinking" is the present progressive: see this blog for more on that:
http://magoosh.com/gmat/2012/gmat-verbs ... ive-tense/
The phrase "to deliver ..." is an infinitive phrase: see this blog for more on that:
http://magoosh.com/gmat/2012/infinitive ... -the-gmat/

I hope all this helps. Let me know if you have any questions.

Mike :-)

Education is not the filling of a pail, but the lighting of a fire. — William Butler Yeats (1865 – 1939)
Intern
Intern
Re: Due to the rising cost of textbooks, some instructors are rethinking  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 12 Nov 2012, 15:20
"publishing and discovering" and "including" shows use of same tone in choice "e". So I think "e" is best answer
Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 12 Nov 2012, 18:32
mikemcgarry wrote:
gmatbull wrote:

What's intriguing about this, first of all, is that neither "rethinking" nor "publishing" is necessarily parallel to "discovering", so the proper connection between those is unclear.

The giveaway is the list at the end ---- "open-source, print-on-demand, and digital marketplace alternatives." First of all, those are and should be in parallel. Second, that's a list of examples, examples of "new ways to deliver information to students", so it has to be introduced as a proper list of examples. On the GMAT, the only proper introduction for a list of examples is the phrase "such as" --- only (D) has this proper construction, so (D) must be the answer.

Notice, (D) also has a satisfactory arrangement with respect to the gerund "discovering" ---- they "are rethinking ... by discovering .." ---- in other words, the "discovering" phrase is the means by which they are rethinking. That makes sense in context.

Hello Mike, initially I picked D, but later went for E as I thought that there is something missing between these two words ways, discoveries. The last clause after comma didn't make sense. Any comments?

D) Due to the rising cost of textbooks, some instructors are rethinking traditional approaches to publishing by delivering information to students in new ways, discoveries such as open-source, print-on-demand, and digital marketplace alternatives.

E) Due to the rising cost of textbooks, some instructors are rethinking traditional approaches to publishing and discovering new ways to deliver information to students, including open-source, print-on-demand, and digital marketplace alternatives.

In E, instructors are rethinking ..... and discovering seems parallel
Intern
Intern
Schools: Jones '15

Show Tags

New post 12 Nov 2012, 19:57
gmatbull wrote:
Due to the rising cost of textbooks, some instructors are rethinking traditional approaches to
publishing, including discovering new ways to deliver information to students, open-source,
print-on-demand, and digital marketplace alternatives.

OA
after discussions

I would say B. Why because I am looking for words that introduce examples for opensource, print-on-demand etc. The two that match the criteria are B and D. D is incorrect in communicating the intent of the originl sentence. Why? Because open-source,print-on-demand are not the discoveries. they have discovered the way to deliver information via these not these methods.
AGSM Thread Master
Concentration: Marketing, International Business
GMAT 1: 630 Q49 V28
GPA: 3.3
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 13 Nov 2012, 02:33
A. publishing, including discovering new ways to deliver information to students: Incorrect. Open source, print-on- demand are all type of new ways that instructors are discovering.
B. publishing with new ways of delivering information to students: Incorrect. same error as A.
C. publishing, discovering new ways to deliver information to students, which includes: Incorrect. clause error.
D. publishing by delivering information to students in new ways, discoveries such as: Incorrect. Changes meaning. instructors are still discovering the new ways and are yet to start delivering.
E. publishing and discovering new ways to deliver information to students, including: Correct.
Director
Director

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 13 Nov 2012, 03:04
Hi nanishora,
I have a feeling B is not appropriate for some obvious reason.

B: " rethinking traditional approaches to
publishing with new ways of delivering information to students,
open-source, print-on-demand, and digital marketplace alternatives.

The examples (open-source, print-on-demand, and digital market place alternatives) are just listed
without recourse to the rule. "such as", "which include," and "including" are typical means
of introducing examples.

these examples ARE NOT traditional approaches to publishing, BUT new ways of delivering information.

Originally posted by gmatbull on 13 Nov 2012, 02:42.
Last edited by gmatbull on 13 Nov 2012, 03:04, edited 1 time in total.
Director
Director
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
Schools: Olin - Wash U - Class of 2015
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 13 Nov 2012, 03:03
gmatbull wrote:
Hi nanishora,
I have a feeling B is not appropriate for some obvious reason.

B: " rethinking traditional approaches to
publishing with new ways of delivering information to students,
open-source, print-on-demand, and digital marketplace alternatives.

The examples (open-source, print-on-demand, and digital market place alternatives) are just listed
without recourse to the rule. "such as", "which include," and "including" are typical means
of introducing examples.

these examples are not new ways of publishing, but new ways of delivering information.

Thats right. B is not correct. the list is given randomly without any proper connection.

A and B are simply not correct since various options are listed without any correct predecessor.
C is incorrect as which modifies students. Students do not include anything..
Ans D and E are only contenders.

D is incorrect- the meaning is not clear. what are these listed items? discoveries or methods to deliver?

And E remains and is the winner.

Ans E it is!
V
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying
WE: Education (Education)

Show Tags

New post 13 Nov 2012, 09:25
Hi Mike

I just need a small info. You mentioned:

Quote:
Notice, (D) also has a satisfactory arrangement with respect to the gerund "discovering" ---- they "are rethinking ... by discovering." ---- in other words, the "discovering" phrase is the means by which they are rethinking. That makes sense in context.

Of course, your point on the use of ‘such as’ to describe examples is fine; in addition, the word ‘discoveries’ as an appositive modifier to modify the new ways is also perfectly in line. ; After all, when they are new ways, they have to be discoveries. But, where is the word ‘discovering’ in Choice D. It only says by delivering

How about parsing E this way:

Due to the rising cost of textbooks, some instructors are (rethinking traditional approaches to publishing) and (discovering new ways to deliver information to students, including open-source, print-on-demand, and digital marketplace alternatives.

Here, the adverbial modifier ‘Including X, Y and Z’ is modifying the new ways

Show Tags

New post 13 Nov 2012, 14:56
Obviously, the correct response is not far -fetched: .
Wonderful explanations by all, and I believe Mike agrees with the above explanations
in favor of the OA
P
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 25 Dec 2018, 10:25
Bunuel,

Can you update OA for this question ?

thanks,
Math Expert
V

Show Tags

New post 25 Dec 2018, 10:29
Manager
Manager
S

Show Tags

New post 25 Dec 2018, 11:03
daagh wrote:
Hi Mike

I just need a small info. You mentioned:

Quote:
Notice, (D) also has a satisfactory arrangement with respect to the gerund "discovering" ---- they "are rethinking ... by discovering." ---- in other words, the "discovering" phrase is the means by which they are rethinking. That makes sense in context.

Of course, your point on the use of ‘such as’ to describe examples is fine; in addition, the word ‘discoveries’ as an appositive modifier to modify the new ways is also perfectly in line. ; After all, when they are new ways, they have to be discoveries. But, where is the word ‘discovering’ in Choice D. It only says by delivering

How about parsing E this way:

Due to the rising cost of textbooks, some instructors are (rethinking traditional approaches to publishing) and (discovering new ways to deliver information to students, including open-source, print-on-demand, and digital marketplace alternatives.

Here, the adverbial modifier ‘Including X, Y and Z’ is modifying the new ways

@daaagh including modifies the preceeding noun so doesn't it modify students here which makes no sense.
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Due to the rising cost of textbooks, some instructors are rethinking   [#permalink] 25 Dec 2018, 11:03

Due to the rising cost of textbooks, some instructors are rethinking

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics