GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 17 Aug 2018, 23:51

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

DUKE Fuqua or UCLA Anderson

new topic post reply Update application status  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Intern
Intern
DUKE Fuqua or UCLA Anderson  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 23 Jan 2018, 09:22
Hello guys,

I'm am experiencing a really happy problem, having to choose between Fuqua or Anderson.

My background:

I worked on investment banking for 4 years and 1 on a real estate developer.
I am from LatinAmerica and it would be great after the MBA to land a job on USA.

I am happy to explore jobs on Real Estate, Tech or Banking (asset management o inv. banking)

In favor for DUKE I feel that:
1) Has a better Brand that UCLA and have the chance to land a job throughout USA while UCLA I see it more centered on California only.
2) Stronger Alumni Network (TEAM FUQUA BRAND), even though Anderson has a strong alumni network too.
3) GATE initiative will help me open my mind to new cultures.
4) Finance Certificate and interesting concentrations to follow.
5) Better Ranked (if that matters...)
6) Very focused on Consulting jobs.

In Favor of UCLA I feel that:
1) Great Real Estate background, with the RE Center, RE Association, RE Career Path and LA being a prime location for that
2) Great Tech Background, with the Tech Association, Tech Career Path and California being a naturally tech market.
3) I feel that could be a weaker in the finance than Duke.
4) More people landing jobs on my actual area interest.

In General
1) LA I feel it more attractive to live but my wife feels Durham.. so it is a match.
2) In LA I feel that there are more jobs opportunities for my wife (en eventually me part time while studying) than on Durham.
3) In the scenario of wanting to move Out California, maybe the Duke Brand is stronger (Europe, north east USA, etc)
4) Both have recreational clubs that suits my hobbies.
5) In an economical analysis, I got a bigger scholarship on UCLA (30k more than Fuqua) so they are kind of matched, but still LA is a expensier city...
6) It may look pretty the "California Experience", but there is a B-Side of it, traffic jams, etc that I am not aware at... but something simiilar could happen on Durham
7) UCLA weather beats Durham... but not for that
8) Excellent professors on both of them.
9) Maybe more prestigious elite alumni on Duke (Tim Cook for example).

What do you think?
Is there anything I could be missing? Or some edge I am not covering?
Being from that far away blurs a bit preceptions!

Thanks a lot!!!!
Intern
Intern
B
Re: DUKE Fuqua or UCLA Anderson  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 25 Jan 2018, 10:19
I think you've done a great job of assessing the pros and cons of each choice! I'm just going to offer your some insight on the locales because I've spent a significant amount of time near both areas.

You are absolutely right that the LA traffic is awful. You will not run into anything of that magnitude in The Triangle in NC (that is Durham/Raleigh/Chapel Hill). Traffic does, of course, build up around commuter hours but it's managable, in my opinion.

The consistent weather in California and the beauty there is really hard to rival. In NC, you'd be dealing with a lot more humidity, percipitation, and all four seasons.

Durham is not my favorite place, but it's surrounded by a lot of great areas. You could look into commuting from Raleigh, Chapel Hill, or Carrboro, among some other places.

Another note: The Duke brand is strong but UCLA is a strong brand as well. Of course, this could depend on what kind of jobs you wish to pursue, but I think both are pretty strong in the areas you've mentioned.

I hope this was at least somewhat helpful!
Founder
Founder
V
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GMAT ToolKit User CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 25 Jan 2018, 10:34
I feel Fuqua is a stronger overall experience. Having lived in LA and SoCal, the CA experience only goes so far until you get a family and decide you need more than 1,100 sq feet.

While the rankings are not that far apart, I feel the schools and experience is quite different.

I remember the RE industry in LA being very network and relationship driven. You had to have more than just a newly minted Anderson diploma to get in. Make sure you do your research. Things have probably changed but 10 years ago unless you were Persian, you would hit a ceiling in LA RE pretty quickly. Being a Latino may give you an edge.

LA will generally be friendlier to you and your wife. Half of LA is Spanish speaking and half the street names are Spanish names. If you know folks in LA it is also a plus to have something to transition to.

However, that’s where good things end about LA. Unless you want to be in CA and do RE, you will be passing up a great opportunity at Duke. On campus recruiting is a lot better there. Without a green card and work permit, you will need all th help you can get.

Congrats on your admits!

Posted from my mobile device

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here...
OG2019 Directory is here! - New!
Verbal OG2019 Directory is here! - New!

Co-author of the GMAT Club tests

Manager
Manager
B
Affiliations: Google, Facebook
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V40

Show Tags

New post 23 Jun 2018, 15:15
Would love to know where you netted out here. I'll share my opinion just in case there are future GMAT Club members who will face the same happy problem one day.

I attended Duke for undergrad and got a master's in engineering at UCLA (before my MBA), so I'm somewhat familiar with both schools. I also work in tech after graduating from Haas.

With respect to tech, you can't go wrong with either school. About 30% of Anderson grads go into tech with a median starting salary of $123K with top tech employers including Amazon, Google, Genentech, Adobe, and Cisco . About 20% of Fuqua grads go into tech with a median starting salary of $121K. Fuqua's top tech employers include Amazon, Microsoft, Apple, Google, Dell, Cisco, and Genentech. Far more Anderson grads end up our west (80%) than Fuqua grads (21%), so that might be an important consideration in terms of your network depending on where you see yourself ending up for the long-term.

So if you were optimizing for working in tech afterwards, I don't think you could go wrong either way and it would depend more on financials and locale (LA has much better weather / scenery, is culturally much more open to internationals, but has the downside of being expensive). Where this gets a bit complicated is you're also looking at Real Estate and Banking, which may affect your calculus significantly. It's hard to make a strong decision between two or more somewhat closely ranked schools when there are multiple career outcomes you are optimizing for.

Even though you are far away, it may definitely be worthwhile to visit both schools and also narrowing down your career options a bit. Hope this helps!

DrWales wrote:
Hello guys,

I'm am experiencing a really happy problem, having to choose between Fuqua or Anderson.

My background:

I worked on investment banking for 4 years and 1 on a real estate developer.
I am from LatinAmerica and it would be great after the MBA to land a job on USA.

I am happy to explore jobs on Real Estate, Tech or Banking (asset management o inv. banking)

In favor for DUKE I feel that:
1) Has a better Brand that UCLA and have the chance to land a job throughout USA while UCLA I see it more centered on California only.
2) Stronger Alumni Network (TEAM FUQUA BRAND), even though Anderson has a strong alumni network too.
3) GATE initiative will help me open my mind to new cultures.
4) Finance Certificate and interesting concentrations to follow.
5) Better Ranked (if that matters...)
6) Very focused on Consulting jobs.

In Favor of UCLA I feel that:
1) Great Real Estate background, with the RE Center, RE Association, RE Career Path and LA being a prime location for that
2) Great Tech Background, with the Tech Association, Tech Career Path and California being a naturally tech market.
3) I feel that could be a weaker in the finance than Duke.
4) More people landing jobs on my actual area interest.

In General
1) LA I feel it more attractive to live but my wife feels Durham.. so it is a match.
2) In LA I feel that there are more jobs opportunities for my wife (en eventually me part time while studying) than on Durham.
3) In the scenario of wanting to move Out California, maybe the Duke Brand is stronger (Europe, north east USA, etc)
4) Both have recreational clubs that suits my hobbies.
5) In an economical analysis, I got a bigger scholarship on UCLA (30k more than Fuqua) so they are kind of matched, but still LA is a expensier city...
6) It may look pretty the "California Experience", but there is a B-Side of it, traffic jams, etc that I am not aware at... but something simiilar could happen on Durham
7) UCLA weather beats Durham... but not for that
8) Excellent professors on both of them.
9) Maybe more prestigious elite alumni on Duke (Tim Cook for example).

What do you think?
Is there anything I could be missing? Or some edge I am not covering?
Being from that far away blurs a bit preceptions!

Thanks a lot!!!!
Re: DUKE Fuqua or UCLA Anderson &nbs [#permalink] 23 Jun 2018, 15:15

DUKE Fuqua or UCLA Anderson

new topic post reply Update application status  

Events & Promotions

PREV
NEXT

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap