It is currently 17 Oct 2017, 10:32

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

During the Great Depression, industrial output fell by

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 549 [0], given: 116

Concentration: International Business, Strategy
GMAT Date: 07-30-2012
GPA: 2.66
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
During the Great Depression, industrial output fell by [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 14 Jul 2012, 07:08
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

5% (low)

Question Stats:

81% (00:40) correct 19% (00:39) wrong based on 64 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

During the Great Depression, industrial output fell by nearly fifty percent from its peak in 1929 down to its nadir in 1933.
(A) During the Great Depression, industrial output fell by nearly fifty percent from its peak in 1929 down to its nadir in 1933.
(B) During the Great Depression, industrial output fell by nearly fifty percent from its peak in 1929 to its nadir in 1933.
(C) At the time of the Great Depression, industrial output fell by almost fifty percent from its 1929 peak down to its 1933 nadir.
(D) At the time of the Great Depression, industrial output fell from its peak in 1929, by nearly fifty percent, to it nadir in 1933.
(E) During the Great Depression, industrial output fell from its peak in 1929 to its nadir in 1933 by nearly fifty percent.

Quote:
I first chose the right ans and then switched to E
Reason,
I thought nearly fifty percent should modify the fall in output
whats the word of caution under such scenarios?
some help!
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

Please press Kudos if you found this post helpful

Kudos [?]: 549 [0], given: 116

2 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 463 [2], given: 33

Re: During the Great Depression, industrial output [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 14 Jul 2012, 08:23
This post received
KUDOS
(A) During the Great Depression, industrial output fell by nearly fifty percent from its peak in 1929 down to its nadir in 1933.
(B) During the Great Depression, industrial output fell by nearly fifty percent from its peak in 1929 to its nadir in 1933.
(C) At the time of the Great Depression, industrial output fell by almost fifty percent from its 1929 peak down to its 1933 nadir.
(D) At the time of the Great Depression, industrial output fell from its peak in 1929, by nearly fifty percent, to it nadir in 1933.
(E) During the Great Depression, industrial output fell from its peak in 1929 to its nadir in 1933 by nearly fifty percent.

First split btw During and At. 1929 to 1933 demands "During". Hence C and D are ruled out.

Redundancy: Fell and Down are redundant. A is ruled out.

what fell by fell fifty percent? the answer is industrial output. Hence "by nearly fifty percent" should be close to the term it modifies. Hence B.

E nonsensically states that the drop from 1929 to 1933 was fifty percent.

Encourage me by pressing the KUDOS if you find my post to be helpful.

Help me win "The One Thing You Wish You Knew - GMAT Club Contest"
http://gmatclub.com/forum/the-one-thing-you-wish-you-knew-gmat-club-contest-140358.html#p1130989

Kudos [?]: 463 [2], given: 33

1 KUDOS received
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 353 [1], given: 75

GPA: 3.82
WE: Account Management (Retail Banking)

Show Tags

New post 14 Jul 2012, 17:17
This post received
KUDOS
maybeam wrote:
During the Great Depression, industrial output fell by nearly fifty percent from its peak in 1929 down to its nadir in 1933.

Quote:
I first chose the right ans and then switched to E
Reason,
I thought nearly fifty percent should modify the fall in output
whats the word of caution under such scenarios?
some help!

by nearly fifty percent- is a verb modifier

Unlike noun modifiers, verb modifier are flexible in their placement in a sentence even though it is always an advantage to select an AC where the verb modifier is touching the verb it's modifying.

[A verb modifier is one which answer questions like "how", "when",why etc...]

+1 for (B)

" Make more efforts "
Press Kudos if you liked my post

Kudos [?]: 353 [1], given: 75

G

Kudos [?]: 9041 [0], given: 1152

Show Tags

New post 15 Jul 2012, 03:09

Kudos [?]: 9041 [0], given: 1152

Manager
Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 45 [0], given: 52

WE 1: 4.6 years Exp IT prof
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 15 Jul 2012, 12:19
* Fell from X to Y implies X and Y to be parallel
* moreover, fell and down are same hence redundant
* nearly by fifty percent should modify fell --> more the modifier nearer to the noun better

-- fell and down have a redundant usage INCORRECT

-- fell and down have a redundant usage INCORRECT
-- X and Y not parallel because of the usage of "it" instead of its.
in B and E , B is better because the modifier is closer to the noun.

The Best source to practice Verbal is only OG questions and no one else. So practice only Official questions from GMAC like verbal og , OG and verbal OG supplements rather even attempting SC1000 and or any other from any other source.
SC1000 question bank is not authentic for OG questions and it also has many wrong answers.
If you have already completed all of them do them again try to find more than one reason to solve the SC questions.

I will give a Fight till the End

"To dream anything that you want to dream, that is the beauty of the human mind. To do anything that you want to do, that is the strength of the human will. To trust yourself, to test your limits, that is the courage to succeed."
- Bernard Edmonds

A person who is afraid of Failure can never succeed -- Amneet Padda

Don't Forget to give the KUDOS

Kudos [?]: 45 [0], given: 52

Retired Moderator
P
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying

Kudos [?]: 7869 [0], given: 363

WE: Education (Education)

Show Tags

New post 15 Jul 2012, 23:27
The aversion towards 1000 series is due to its banishment by the authorities, rendering them the least preferred. Of course, the magnitude of the work has also induced unforced errors in its presentation.

But for many especially starters, its SC, CR and RC were no less then the Bible of GMAT Verbal until its fall from grace.

But, IMO, even the OG questions are not tough enough for the 700 plus candidate. The OG versions, though benchmarks, cannot push people beyond 650. I would rather say, that the GMAT Prep is far more appropriate for reaching high scores, than anything else as far as all the three practice modules are concerned, along side the highly rated MGMAT SC guide and The Powerscore CR Bible etc.

“Better than a thousand days of diligent study is one day with a great teacher” – a Japanese proverb.

Kudos [?]: 7869 [0], given: 363

GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend

Kudos [?]: 261 [0], given: 0

Premium Member
Re: During the Great Depression, industrial output fell by [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 05 Oct 2017, 04:10
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.

Kudos [?]: 261 [0], given: 0

Re: During the Great Depression, industrial output fell by   [#permalink] 05 Oct 2017, 04:10

During the Great Depression, industrial output fell by

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap