GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 21 Oct 2019, 08:42

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

During the tenure of Steve Jobs, which was known for his dictatorial

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Find Similar Topics 
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Status: Making every effort to create original content for you!!
Concentration: Healthcare, Social Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 660 Q48 V34
GMAT 2: 750 Q49 V42
GMAT ToolKit User
During the tenure of Steve Jobs, which was known for his dictatorial  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 02 Nov 2018, 03:24
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

15% (low)

Question Stats:

69% (01:12) correct 31% (01:13) wrong based on 364 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

During the tenure of Steve Jobs, which was known for his dictatorial management style and for his innovative ventures, the growth of Apple Inc. exceeded any large technology company in the world.

A) which was known for his dictatorial management style and for his innovative ventures, the growth of Apple Inc. exceeded any.

B) known for his dictatorial management style and for his innovative ventures, the growth of Apple Inc. was exceeded by no other.

C) known for his dictatorial management style and for his innovative ventures, the growth of Apple Inc. exceeded that of any.

D) known for his dictatorial management style and for his innovative ventures, Apple Inc. exceeded any.

E) known for his dictatorial management style and for his innovative ventures, the growth of Apple Inc. exceeded that of any other

Originally posted by Vercules on 05 May 2013, 11:12.
Last edited by Bunuel on 02 Nov 2018, 03:24, edited 2 times in total.
Renamed the topic and edited the question.
Manager
Manager
Re: During the tenure of Steve Jobs, which was known for his dictatorial  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 05 May 2013, 12:49
Vercules wrote:
During the tenure of Steve Jobs, which was known for his dictatorial management style and for his innovative ventures, the growth of Apple Inc. exceeded any large technology company in the world.

A) which was known for his dictatorial management style and for his innovative ventures, the growth of Apple Inc. exceeded any.

Which can't modify people.
Quote:
B) known for his dictatorial management style and for his innovative ventures, the growth of Apple Inc. was exceeded by no other.

The growth cannot by exceeded by a company. Disparate subjects cannot be compared.
Quote:
C) known for his dictatorial management style and for his innovative ventures, the growth of Apple Inc. exceeded that of any.

IMO "any" should be "any other". We compare Apple to others.
Quote:
D) known for his dictatorial management style and for his innovative ventures, Apple Inc. exceeded any.

Changes the meaning. Original sentence compares growths, not companies.
Quote:
E) known for his dictatorial management style and for his innovative ventures, the growth of Apple Inc. exceeded that of any other

Correct.

Originally posted by HumptyDumpty on 05 May 2013, 11:20.
Last edited by HumptyDumpty on 05 May 2013, 12:49, edited 1 time in total.
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Finance
GMAT Date: 07-25-2013
GPA: 3.83
WE: Architecture (Computer Hardware)
Re: During the tenure of Steve Jobs, which was known for his dictatorial  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 05 May 2013, 12:21
usage of any vs anyother

Shanghai is larger than ....... city in India

Ans: any since shanghai is not in india use of any is correct
Shanghai is larger than ....... city in china

ANs:anyother since shanghai is in china use of anyother is correct..

here we are comparing the growth of apple( technology related company) to growth of other technology related company ..

So use of any other is right!!!
Retired Moderator
B
Concentration: Technology, Strategy
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
GPA: 3.35
WE: Consulting (Computer Software)
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 06 May 2013, 04:31
IMO E should be the answer

A) which was known for his dictatorial management style and for his innovative ventures, the growth of Apple Inc. exceeded any. which does not fit in as it cannot modify Steve Jobs
B) known for his dictatorial management style and for his innovative ventures, the growth of Apple Inc. was exceeded by no other. incorrect comparison of growth with company, it should be growth of any other company
C) known for his dictatorial management style and for his innovative ventures, the growth of Apple Inc. exceeded that of any. any other preferred over any, since other introduces some other company
D) known for his dictatorial management style and for his innovative ventures, Apple Inc. exceeded any. growth has to be compared
E) known for his dictatorial management style and for his innovative ventures, the growth of Apple Inc. exceeded that of any other Correct

Show Tags

New post 06 May 2013, 13:17
i think that here someone is going in the wrong direction.

I see "which" considered as modifier cannot modify person. I never hear this rule by Ron Purewal, and other instructors out there (at least from the most important exponents of verbal part of the test).

IF you rely only on grammar you will fail on this test. I hope not, of course but......

The only rule is the context, that's it. No matter what.

To have the ideas more clear follow this lesson

Moreover

Quote:
WHICH for non restrictive clauses.

As I can see I perfectly do read

During the tenure of Steve Jobs, ..............................................., the growth of Apple Inc. exceeded any large technology company in the world.

I do not see that the meaning falls apart
Attachments

screenshot.7.jpg
screenshot.7.jpg [ 75.88 KiB | Viewed 4530 times ]

screenshot.6.jpg
screenshot.6.jpg [ 373.26 KiB | Viewed 4530 times ]

Show Tags

New post 22 Jan 2019, 08:48
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
Re: During the tenure of Steve Jobs, which was known for his dictatorial   [#permalink] 22 Jan 2019, 08:48

During the tenure of Steve Jobs, which was known for his dictatorial

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics