GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 13 Dec 2019, 04:16

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Economist: Although open-source software has gained popularity in the

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Find Similar Topics 
Manager
Manager
Schools: McCombs '17
GMAT 1: 670 Q47 V35
GPA: 3
WE: Manufacturing and Production (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
Economist: Although open-source software has gained popularity in the  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 09 Sep 2014, 05:29
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

5% (low)

Question Stats:

84% (01:30) correct 16% (01:34) wrong based on 165 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Economist: Although open-source software has gained popularity in the last couple of years, its usefulness is quite limited. This is because the most creative ideas come from professional software designers, not volunteers.

Journalist: I, too, was once skeptical about whether open-source software would become a permanent feature of our world. However, I realized that this article could not have been produced without the open-source software volunteers who allowed me to interview them.

The journalist’s response to the economist is flawed for which of the following reasons?

A The journalist has changed his mind about open-source software, making his response invalid.
B The journalist refused to interview any professional software designers for his article.
C The journalist does not address the economist’s argument that professional software designers are more creative than volunteers.
D The journalist has written a series of articles on software development.
E The journalist does not discuss the popularity of open-source software.
Manager
Manager
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Economist: Although open-source software has gained popularity in the  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 09 Sep 2014, 07:54
Hi anceer,

Let's first identify/ understand the Economist and Journalist's arguments.

The Economist is arguing that Professional Software Designers have more creative ideas and therefore can produce more useful software than the volunteers that produce open source product.
The Journalist responds with saying that although she was initially skeptical, she would have been unable to write her article without the interviews from these volunteers.

The best way to attack this problem is to eliminate answer choices.
(A) Changing an opinion for valid reasons doesn't render it invalid. This doesn't show a flaw.
(B) The passage makes no mention of the Journalist refusing to interview professional sw designers. This doesn't show a flaw.
(C) This addresses the issue. The Journalist fails to address the Economist's main argument about the creativity disparity between professionals and volunteers.
(D) We know nothing about the Journalist's writing history. This doesn't show a flaw.
(E) The Economist is not arguing about popularity. This doesn't show a flaw.

Hope this helps! Good luck studying!

-Lighthouse Prep
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: Technology, Other
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge
Economist: Although open-source software has gained popularity in the  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 09 Sep 2014, 09:10
Economist: Although open-source software has gained popularity in the last couple of years,
Conc: its usefulness is quite limited.
Why?This is because the most creative ideas come from professional software designers, not volunteers.

Journalist: I, too, was once skeptical about whether open-source software would become a permanent feature of our world.
Conc:I too was skeptical but now.
Why?However, I realized that this article could not have been produced without the open-source software volunteers who allowed me to interview them.

( :idea: My version )Eco: Ok. I understand that our view abt the arg in question doesn't match but how does ur reasoning answers my point?

The journalist’s response to the economist is flawed for which of the following reasons?
A The journalist has changed his mind about open-source software, making his response invalid. [Not if there is a valid reason but we dont know from the arg.]
B The journalist refused to interview any professional software designers for his article. [nothing like this in arg]
C The journalist does not address the economist’s argument that professional software designers are more creative than volunteers. >> Journalist doesn't discuss/addresses the reasoning given by economist.
D The journalist has written a series of articles on software development. [We dont know from arg]
E The journalist does not discuss the popularity of open-source software. [Is popularity a concern as per the arg.No look at the highlighted text above]
CR & LSAT Forum Moderator
V
Status: He came. He saw. He conquered. -- Studying for the LSAT -- Corruptus in Extremis
Concentration: Finance, Economics
Reviews Badge
Re: Economist: Although open-source software has gained popularity in the  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 26 Nov 2019, 06:33
Bumping to get this back into circulation

My CR Guide: Here
My RC Guide: Here
Need an expert to grade your AWA? Go: Here
Want to know your Business School chances? Go: Here
Want to be a moderator? We may want you to be one! See how: Here
Director
Director
P
Premium Member CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 02 Dec 2019, 15:24
anceer wrote:
Economist: Although open-source software has gained popularity in the last couple of years, its usefulness is quite limited. This is because the most creative ideas come from professional software designers, not volunteers.

Journalist: I, too, was once skeptical about whether open-source software would become a permanent feature of our world. However, I realized that this article could not have been produced without the open-source software volunteers who allowed me to interview them.

A The journalist has changed his mind about open-source software, making his response invalid.
B The journalist refused to interview any professional software designers for his article.
C The journalist does not address the economist’s argument that professional software designers are more creative than volunteers.
D The journalist has written a series of articles on software development.
E The journalist does not discuss the popularity of open-source software.

Realize this: The Economist says "We don't get creative ideas from volunteers" and Journalist (even though disagrees, which is fine) does not provide any justification/reasoning for what economist said. he just mentions the article would not have been possible without volunteers; that's just not even bothering what the other person said.

C is a clear winner. Journalist didn't answer the argument at all.

E comes close but is incorrect because we are not talking about Popularity. We care about the creativity.

The Moment You Think About Giving Up, Think Of The Reason Why You Held On So Long

Learn from the Legend himself: All GMAT Ninja LIVE YouTube videos by topic
You are missing on great learning if you don't know what this is: Project SC Butler
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Economist: Although open-source software has gained popularity in the   [#permalink] 02 Dec 2019, 15:24

Economist: Although open-source software has gained popularity in the

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics