Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 12:38 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 12:38

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
SVP
SVP
Affiliations: HEC
Own Kudos [?]: 1123 [0]
Given Kudos: 432
Concentration: Economics, Finance
GMAT 1: 730 Q48 V44
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 196 [0]
Given Kudos: 115
 Q39  V20
GPA: 3.5
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 242 [0]
Given Kudos: 45
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Strategy
WE:Business Development (Other)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
Send PM
Re: Economist Article on PhD Students [#permalink]
Nevertheless there exists a shortage in business phd students :-D
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 1649 [0]
Given Kudos: 781
Send PM
I'd be careful about generalizing this article to business Ph.D's.

Quote:
A graduate assistant at Yale might earn $20,000 a year for nine months of teaching.

The norm in business schools is about $30K. If you teach, you are paid extra per semester.

Quote:
The average pay of full professors in America was $109,000 in 2009—higher than the average for judges and magistrates.

Not in business school. A full professor easily makes over $150K for a 9 month appointment, not to mention additional monies from consulting and teaching in executive education. For example, professors can make $50K for a week of teaching exec. education and charge $5K a day for consulting with industry.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 59 [0]
Given Kudos: 29
Send PM
The article is a bit discouraging... but I hope you are the one who's right (as the current plan is to apply for a phd):

Quote:
Not in business school. A full professor easily makes over $150K for a 9 month appointment, not to mention additional monies from consulting and teaching in executive education. For example, professors can make $50K for a week of teaching exec. education and charge $5K a day for consulting with industry.

An additional problem for me would be that I would be 32 when I (if I) start it... + I will have to move to another country + my girlfriend will be 31 - time for kids... a mission impossible for a PhD student with my profile... what do you think...
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 1649 [1]
Given Kudos: 781
Send PM
Kudos
thetiming wrote:
The article is a bit discouraging... but I hope you are the one who's right (as the current plan is to apply for a phd):

Quote:
An additional problem for me would be that I would be 32 when I (if I) start it... + I will have to move to another country + my girlfriend will be 31 - time for kids... a mission impossible for a PhD student with my profile... what do you think...

Not impossible at all. As far as kids are concerned - I know several doctoral students who had kids before they joined the Ph.D. program and several professors who had kids in their late 30's after they got tenure. In fact, Ph.D. students with families do better with time management and are more organized. Not to mention a family gives you perspective and motivation.

Your greater challenge is an admit to a Ph.D. program. You can worry about mission impossible then.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Board of Directors
4383 posts