Last visit was: 12 Jul 2024, 19:51 It is currently 12 Jul 2024, 19:51
Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 4817 [2]
Given Kudos: 128
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 32 [1]
Given Kudos: 312
Concentration: Operations, Entrepreneurship
GPA: 2.87
WE:Supply Chain Management (Consumer Products)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [1]
Given Kudos: 30
Send PM
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 207 [0]
Given Kudos: 332
Send PM
Re: Economist: As should be obvious, raising the minimum wage significantl [#permalink]
A seems like a win-win for companies. They can avoid the costs of increased wages and their profits won't take a hit.

Economist: As should be obvious, raising the minimum wage significantly would make it more expensive for businesses to pay workers for minimum-wage jobs. Therefore, businesses could not afford to continue to employ as many workers for such jobs. So raising the minimum wage significantly will cause an increase in unemployment.

Which one of the following, if true, most weakens the economist’s argument?

(A) Businesses typically pass the cost of increased wages on to consumers without adversely affecting profits. CORRECT
(B) When the difference between minimum wage and a skilled worker’s wage is small, a greater percentage of a business’s employees will be skilled workers. X
OK, but this doesn't attack the argument in any way. It just tells us more of a company's employees will be skilled workers, but the economist argument still stands.
(C) A modest increase in unemployment is acceptable because the current minimum wage is not a livable wage. X
Goes in the wrong direction. This strengthens.
(D) Most workers are earning more than the current minimum wage. X
OK, but this is trying to say that the increase in minimum wage won't matter because most people are being paid above that. Not good enough.
(E) The unemployment rate has been declining steadily in recent years. X
Past is not indicative of the future...OUT
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 85 [0]
Given Kudos: 254
Concentration: General Management, Healthcare
Schools: HEC'22 (J)
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V40
GPA: 3.8
WE:Consulting (Health Care)
Send PM
Re: Economist: As should be obvious, raising the minimum wage significantl [#permalink]
Nairspecht wrote:
I was confused between A/D and chose D since it was more a fact and A was an assumption statement.
D says, most workers are earning more than the current minimum wage. Doesn't that imply that businesses are already employing such workers without a increase in unemployment?

A says "typically businesses pass on the". So there's a probability it won't.

Could someone help me understand?

Hi Nairspecht, here are my two cents, I was also torn b/w A and D but eliminated D for the following reason. The argument says that increasing the minimum wage will increase the unemployment rate as employers wouldn't be able to support the employees with the increased wages.

The keyword with option D is Most ii says "Most workers are earning more than the current minimum wage", but there are still workers who earn min. wage, now if we increase the min. wage the cost to employers for the employees working at minimum wage would increase and they might not be able to support this increased costs, which could still lead to the rise unemployment rate, hence if anything D can be a weak strengthener to the argument.

I hope that helps.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 303 [0]
Given Kudos: 151
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V38
WE:Accounting (Accounting)
Send PM
RohitSaluja wrote:
Nairspecht wrote:
I was confused between A/D and chose D since it was more a fact and A was an assumption statement.
D says, most workers are earning more than the current minimum wage. Doesn't that imply that businesses are already employing such workers without a increase in unemployment?

A says "typically businesses pass on the". So there's a probability it won't.

Could someone help me understand?

Hi Nairspecht, here are my two cents, I was also torn b/w A and D but eliminated D for the following reason. The argument says that increasing the minimum wage will increase the unemployment rate as employers wouldn't be able to support the employees with the increased wages.

The keyword with option D is Most ii says "Most workers are earning more than the current minimum wage", but there are still workers who earn min. wage, now if we increase the min. wage the cost to employers for the employees working at minimum wage would increase and they might not be able to support this increased costs, which could still lead to the rise unemployment rate, hence if anything D can be a weak strengthener to the argument.

I hope that helps.

I completely agree with what RohitSaluja said. Another problem with D is that we don't know what will happen when the minimum wage is raised. Will it be raised to an amount that is more than the mentioned workers earn? Let's say the current minimum wage is $100 per month and most workers earn $150 per month. If the proposed minimum wage is $200 per month, this is would be a problem. Even for the mentioned workers, it's hard to conclude what would happen.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6979 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
236 posts
CR Forum Moderator
821 posts