GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 21 Sep 2018, 19:19

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Economist: During a recession, a company can cut personnel costs

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Intern
Intern
S
Concentration: Finance, General Management
GMAT 1: 710 Q51 V37
GPA: 4
WE: Engineering (Computer Software)
Economist: During a recession, a company can cut personnel costs  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 17 Aug 2018, 02:45
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

55% (hard)

Question Stats:

64% (01:27) correct 36% (01:56) wrong based on 171 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Economist: During a recession, a company can cut personnel costs either by laying off some employees without reducing the wages of remaining employees or by reducing the wages of all employees without laying off anyone. Both damage morale, but layoffs damage it less, since the aggrieved have, after all, left. Thus, when companies must reduce personnel costs during recessions, they are likely to lay off employees.

Which one of the following, if true, most strengthens the economist’s reasoning?

(A) Employee morale is usually the primary concern driving companies’ decisions about whether to lay off employees or to reduce their wages.
(B) In general, companies increase wages only when they are unable to find enough qualified employees.
(C) Some companies will be unable to make a profit during recessions no matter how much they reduce personnel costs.
(D) When companies cut personnel costs during recessions by reducing wages, some employees usually resign.
(E) Some companies that have laid off employees during recessions have had difficulty finding enough qualified employees once economic growth resumed.

Source:LSAT Set 56 CR
Economist GMAT Tutor Discount CodesOptimus Prep Discount CodesJamboree Discount Codes
Board of Directors
P
Economist: During a recession, a company can cut personnel costs  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 17 Aug 2018, 03:41
Top Contributor
If the morale is the primary concern to decide between layoff people or decrease wages, then A is the best choice.

The others are out of scope or irrelevant.

Ask for further assistance.

Regards

Posted from my mobile device

COLLECTION OF QUESTIONS AND RESOURCES
Quant: 1. ALL GMATPrep questions Quant/Verbal 2. Bunuel Signature Collection - The Next Generation 3. Bunuel Signature Collection ALL-IN-ONE WITH SOLUTIONS 4. Veritas Prep Blog PDF Version 5. MGMAT Study Hall Thursdays with Ron Quant Videos
Verbal:1. Verbal question bank and directories by Carcass 2. MGMAT Study Hall Thursdays with Ron Verbal Videos 3. Critical Reasoning_Oldy but goldy question banks 4. Sentence Correction_Oldy but goldy question banks 5. Reading-comprehension_Oldy but goldy question banks

Manager
Manager
B
Reviews Badge
Re: Economist: During a recession, a company can cut personnel costs  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 17 Aug 2018, 09:41
A indeed is best but D also has a point, since it has “some” it is out.

Sent from my iPhone using GMAT Club Forum

Retaking gmat for second time, any re-takers please feel free to connect.

Manager
Manager
B
Affiliations: Senior Manager, CA by profession, CFA(USA) Level 2
Concentration: Finance, Finance
GMAT 1: 560 Q44 V21
GPA: 3.82
WE: Other (Commercial Banking)
Reviews Badge CAT Tests
Re: Economist: During a recession, a company can cut personnel costs  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 17 Aug 2018, 18:54
aroraishita02 I marked Option D as it states that when companies cut personnel cost during recession by reducing wages, some employees usually resign so isn't it strengthening our conclusion? I was stuck between A and D. Eventually marked incorrect answer choice Option D :(
Also can you please post official explanation for this question

Never Settle for something less than what you deserve...........

I've failed over and over and over again in my life and that is why I succeed--Michael Jordan
Kudos drives a person to better himself every single time. So Pls give it generously
Wont give up till i hit a 700+

Manager
Manager
B
Affiliations: Senior Manager, CA by profession, CFA(USA) Level 2
Concentration: Finance, Finance
GMAT 1: 560 Q44 V21
GPA: 3.82
WE: Other (Commercial Banking)
Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 17 Aug 2018, 18:56
Experts nightblade354 abhimahna daagh sir VeritasKarishma

Please guide . How can we eliminate Option D?

Never Settle for something less than what you deserve...........

I've failed over and over and over again in my life and that is why I succeed--Michael Jordan
Kudos drives a person to better himself every single time. So Pls give it generously
Wont give up till i hit a 700+

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
S

Show Tags

New post 25 Aug 2018, 10:05
vasuca10 wrote:
Experts nightblade354 abhimahna daagh sir VeritasKarishma

Please guide . How can we eliminate Option D?
Hi Vasuca10,

I would like to help you with this one.
I think you jumbled up the meaning of laying off and resigning. Laying off is not by choice. On the other hand resigning is by choice.

Think again about the conclusion now - - -> will surely clear the air.

Consider kudos if that helped :)

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using GMAT Club Forum mobile app

Thank you =Kudos
The best thing in life lies on the other side of the pain.

Intern
Intern
B
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 25 Aug 2018, 10:16
Economist: During a recession, a company can cut personnel costs either by laying off some employees without reducing the wages of remaining employees or by reducing the wages of all employees without laying off anyone. Both damage morale, but layoffs damage it less, since the aggrieved have, after all, left. Thus, when companies must reduce personnel costs during recessions, they are likely to lay off employees.

Which one of the following, if true, most strengthens the economist???s reasoning?

(A) Employee morale is usually the primary concern driving companies??? decisions about whether to lay off employees or to reduce their wages.
(B) In general, companies increase wages only when they are unable to find enough qualified employees.
(C) Some companies will be unable to make a profit during recessions no matter how much they reduce personnel costs.
(D) When companies cut personnel costs during recessions by reducing wages, some employees usually resign.
(E) Some companies that have laid off employees during recessions have had difficulty finding enough qualified employees once economic growth resumed.
Manager
Manager
B
GMAT 1: 570 Q49 V19
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 26 Aug 2018, 07:50
Companies have 2 options during a recession:
1) Either layoff a few people without reducing the wages of the rest.
2) Reduce the wages of all without laying off anyone

As per the author both the situations damage the morale of employees but option 1 has a lesser impact, hence author concludes that whenever a company needs to reduce costs during a recession it is more likely to lay off employees.
Companies could take either of the 2 decisions as both would lead to a reduction of companies' personal expenses but they decide to go with option 1 as employees' morale is of prime importance to the companies and this is what option 'A' says.
Re: Economist: During a recession, a company can cut personnel costs &nbs [#permalink] 26 Aug 2018, 07:50

Economist: During a recession, a company can cut personnel costs

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Events & Promotions

PREV
NEXT

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap